• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Edgar H.O.F Thread

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It truly is crap that voters who never really saw him hold the DH thing against him. There are guys in the HOF who sucked offensively but were great defensively or guys who were great hitters but sucked in the field just didn’t have the luxury of having a DH. I’d take the word of HOF pitchers saying he was the best or the fact Griffey and ARod didn’t set MLB records for intentional walks when they batted in front of him. It’s not the hall of longevity, it’s a museum dedicated to the best player of eras and not a single person can come with a single reason why he wasn’t a top 10 hitter of his generation outside of his playing DH.

If people are going to hold the DH against Edgar, they better hold being a relief pitcher against Mo.

Hillbillyzombie

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He better get in this year. Him and Jay were two of my favorite players to watch(other than the Kid).

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If people are going to hold the DH against Edgar, they better hold being a relief pitcher against Mo.

They won’t. Rivera has a lovable send off tour. Most of the country didn’t appreciate Edgar the way Mariners fans did and pitchers from his little time frame. Edgar was a great hitter and playing in Seattle hurt him because even in his great years ESPN would always (rightfully so) hype up Randy, Griffey, ARod then Ichiro.

Hell even that MLB network special they just put on about Randy made it seem like Randy and Griffey were the only reason they beat the Yankees in 95 which is like saying Curt Schilling and Manny were the only reason the Red Sox beat the Yankees in 2004.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They won’t. Rivera has a lovable send off tour. Most of the country didn’t appreciate Edgar the way Mariners fans did and pitchers from his little time frame. Edgar was a great hitter and playing in Seattle hurt him because even in his great years ESPN would always (rightfully so) hype up Randy, Griffey, ARod then Ichiro.

Hell even that MLB network special they just put on about Randy made it seem like Randy and Griffey were the only reason they beat the Yankees in 95 which is like saying Curt Schilling and Manny were the only reason the Red Sox beat the Yankees in 2004.
Griffey gets a lot of credit but he was also an ass. Still pissed occasionally at how he left Seattle... I was in the 5th grade then and remembered it very well still...

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He better get in this year. Him and Jay were two of my favorite players to watch(other than the Kid).
I believe he'll get in... he has been maintaining the 90-91% count. ~30% of the ballots are known and a lot of voters who didn't voted for him last year are on his side this year.

It'll most likely be for the class this year:
Mo
Doc
Edgar
Mussina

Last edited:

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe he'll get in... he has been maintaining the 90-91% count. ~30% of the ballots are known and a lot of voters who didn't voted for him last year are on his side this year.

It'll most likely be for the class this year:
Mo
Doc
Edgar
Mussina

Mussina's going to be close and might fall just short, since he tends to do much worse with the voters who keep their ballots private (who tend to be older, old school people). If he misses this year, it's a sure thing he gets in next year.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Griffey gets a lot of credit but he was also an ass. Still pissed occasionally at how he left Seattle... I was in the 5th grade then and remembered it very well still...

As a fan I was pissed too but I completely understand why Griffey and Randy left as both were screwed over by the organization. ARod is the one guy who every fan should have animosity towards in his leaving.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update Jan 2 2019

Total votes: 130
Total ballots: 142

Percentage: 91.5%
vs. 2018: +14 votes

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
+14 is great since he lost one voter from last year. He needs +6 more and have it at +20 at the end to get in.

It might be a good time to buy an Edgar jersey.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
+14 is great since he lost one voter from last year. He needs +6 more and have it at +20 at the end to get in.

It might be a good time to buy an Edgar jersey.
I believe he'll get in based on the gained votes from this year to last. However, I'm still weary with the ones that chose not to show their ballot because they can be jerks and old school guys. I expect him to get in but there will be a significant drop by the end of this month... could be in the low-mid 80's.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe he'll get in based on the gained votes from this year to last. However, I'm still weary with the ones that chose not to show their ballot because they can be jerks and old school guys. I expect him to get in but there will be a significant drop by the end of this month... could be in the low-mid 80's.
Oh I agree the % will drop later but he's still gaining votes from people who voted no last year. +16 now

Now he needs +4 if he doesn't lose a yes vote from last year. And he's gained 17 while he lost 1, good trend if this keeps up. Maybe the voters wanted him to wait until his last year of eligibility.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I agree the % will drop later but he's still gaining votes from people who voted no last year. +16 now

Now he needs +4 if he doesn't lose a yes vote from last year. And he's gained 17 while he lost 1, good trend if this keeps up. Maybe the voters wanted him to wait until his last year of eligibility.

There was an article I read a few weeks back about how ALL HOF players that received 70%+ vote the previous year eventually made it to the HoF the following year or through veteran vote after their 10 year eligibility. This alone is a good trend for Edgar based on his % from last year.

I agree that the plan for them has always been to wait until the last year of eligibility to make a point about the DH position.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the voters wanted him to wait until his last year of eligibility.

I agree that the plan for them has always been to wait until the last year of eligibility to make a point about the DH position.

I think it's moreso that the BBWAA voter base has drastically changed the past few years when they modified the qualifications for being a voter, and this got rid of many of the older/old school voters (and the number of voters shrunk from about 650 to 450). The first year of the modified voter base was 2016, and Edgar's % jumped from 27% to 43%, Mussina's jumped from 25% to 43%, Raines jumped from 55% to 70%, Schilling from 39% to 55%, etc....

Additionally, the ballot's been very crowded the past 3 years, so Edgar was probably a victim of that as well....in the past 3 years, an average of 10 players have received 40% of the vote per year (so a lot of guys who many think have are HOF worthy).

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He gained 1 more today, +17 now. 3 more to gain and not lose any more from last year, so it would be nice to see it go well beyond 20.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's moreso that the BBWAA voter base has drastically changed the past few years when they modified the qualifications for being a voter, and this got rid of many of the older/old school voters (and the number of voters shrunk from about 650 to 450). The first year of the modified voter base was 2016, and Edgar's % jumped from 27% to 43%, Mussina's jumped from 25% to 43%, Raines jumped from 55% to 70%, Schilling from 39% to 55%, etc....

Additionally, the ballot's been very crowded the past 3 years, so Edgar was probably a victim of that as well....in the past 3 years, an average of 10 players have received 40% of the vote per year (so a lot of guys who many think have are HOF worthy).

Well it also helps that two guys who covered Edgar or the Mariners just got votes to vote him in. Edgar is more appreciated by guys looking at the newer stats not mostly off of bias’ and general stats of hits, HR’s and RBI. But Baker or Divish also have a bias for him though.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 days left until the Jan. 22 2019 HOF class announcement. Edgar has been maintaining his +17 with 45% of the votes revealed. It's going to be a close one for Edgar.

WindyCityCoug

Fat Stacks Bitches
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was an article I read a few weeks back about how ALL HOF players that received 70%+ vote the previous year eventually made it to the HoF the following year or through veteran vote after their 10 year eligibility. This alone is a good trend for Edgar based on his % from last year.

agreed,
but what is total BS and bias from pro- Red Sox and east coast voters is we all know Ortiz will get in quickly, even with his possible Roid connections.

It is voter hypocrisy, that it took Edgar 10 yrs, and Ortiz will get in right away.
If they did penalize Edgar, making him wait it out, they should be slow to vote in Ortiz as well.
but we all know they will not....

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed,
but what is total BS and bias from pro- Red Sox and east coast voters is we all know Ortiz will get in quickly, even with his possible Roid connections.

It is voter hypocrisy, that it took Edgar 10 yrs, and Ortiz will get in right away.
If they did penalize Edgar, making him wait it out, they should be slow to vote in Ortiz as well.

I don't think that has much to do with why Ortiz will have an easier path to the HOF....there's going to be a much weaker ballot by the time Ortiz is on there (less competition for votes), and the HOF voter base has become more 'steroid friendly' after they changed the rules to get rid of people who no longer cover baseball (many of whom are older and have a hard stance on steroids).

By the time Ortiz hits the ballot in 2022, the ballot will be thinned out to where there won't be many guys that have a legitimate case like there are now. In the past 3 years, an average of 10 players received 40%+ of the vote, but that likely won't be the case in 3 years. In the next 2 years, there may be only one newcomer who gets more than 10% of the vote, and that's Jeter. Edgar to some degree was likely a victim of being on a crowded ballot.

And regarding the ballot change, Bonds and Clemens saw their percentages jump once they purged the voter base to get rid of many guys who no longer vote, and it's very possible they get in within the next 2 years. If Ortiz had debut on the ballot 5 years ago as opposed to 3 years from now, it's a good bet that he'd do much worse on the voting.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed,

Possible? He was on the Mitchell report with Pettite but the two were genuine nice guys who didn’t run away from it and act like dicks like Bonds, Clemens, McGwire and Palmerio. Ortiz does deserve to be in the HOF, but my opinion so do all PED users. You can’t erase an entire generation of players because they used substances that I’m betting 90% of ball players from the late 80’s until the mid 2000’s used some type of banned substance.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 days left until the Jan. 22 2019 HOF class announcement. Edgar has been maintaining his +17 with 45% of the votes revealed. It's going to be a close one for Edgar.
+18 this morning, Goooooo Edgar!