• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eagles Have 83 Million Invested In Their QB's

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,086.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't surprise me at all if Bradford gets dealt when a QB goes down for the year in a pre-season game.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't surprise me at all if Bradford gets dealt when a QB goes down for the year in a pre-season game.
Two QBs most likely to go down are Romo and Bradford, so odds Bradford is eligible to be traded are slim.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He compared Daniels to Schaub "when he was traded to Texas." You are comparing him to Schaub today. If you want to create your own comparison based on today, fine, but his was based on when the move was made.

Yes, that is really similar when you actually read what he said. He didn't have all the success he had in Texas before he was traded to Texas, no time warping.

At the time that was a HUGE contract for a player with next to no experience but who coaching staffs loved.

Ok, I'll take it back to the beginning then. Yes the Schaub deal was a huge deal for an unproven QB, but he got that deal to be QB1. Also he was rumored to be traded for a couple of years before being dealt to Houston. Teams wanted him and would pay a heavy price. Was Chase Daniels heavily targeted? Probably not or he would be a QB1 somewhere right now. Schaub got a lot of money to be the starter, Chase got a lot of money to be a back up/teacher. That's a big difference and why I think you can't compare the two players.

SHOTGUN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I'll take it back to the beginning then. Yes the Schaub deal was a huge deal for an unproven QB, but he got that deal to be QB1. Also he was rumored to be traded for a couple of years before being dealt to Houston. Teams wanted him and would pay a heavy price. Was Chase Daniels heavily targeted? Probably not or he would be a QB1 somewhere right now. Schaub got a lot of money to be the starter, Chase got a lot of money to be a back up/teacher. That's a big difference and why I think you can't compare the two players.

My Schaub post was in response to the post right before mine. There was a point made that Daniel didn't have enough career passes to judge. Schaub had only 2 career starts and not many more passes when he was traded to Texas. A QB really needs about 30 starts before you truly know what you have.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hiring of Chip got the ball rolling. This front office is a train wreck.

They made a TON of great moves this off season. The one for Wentz is pending. If he's a stud it was a great move but the front office did a great job this off season.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well Chase didn't get near the kind of deal Schaub got. 48 mil on the 07 cap, equivalent to 70 mil today. So well over 3 times the money. I guess that is where this one doesn't match up well is Philly gave up a LOT less. And there were a lot of Chase rumors too before Andy shut them down. Washington, Jets...

This one is kind of like when Pederson got that solid (at the time for an unproven backup) deal to come to Philly and compete for the job, then Philly drafted McNabb and Pederson's role was more of a mentor one immediately.
Based on the cap space of the time, this deal is somewhere in between Flynn and Whitehurst. Much closer to Whitehurst. Whitehurst got 5.2 mil/year in today's cap to backup an aging Hasselbeck, Flynn got 12 mil/year to compete for the starting job, Chase got 7/year. And that was to be a backup that could compete for the starting job for a struggling QB who's backups have seen a lot of field time.

Obviously with the move up to 2 to get a QB the situation has now changed, just as it did when Wilson played like a top rookie QB with Flynn. Again, not hurting them on their cap space, so not sure why you are so intent on worrying about Lurie's net worth.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say giving up what they did to move up to grab Wentz ain't the smartest move.

So if he is a star QB its a bad move. I TREMENDOUSLY disagree. I remember the Cards getting ripped for giving up what they did for a washed up, chronically injured Carson Palmer. They proved everyone wrong.

If Wentz is a stud it makes COMPLETE sense.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if he is a star QB its a bad move. I TREMENDOUSLY disagree. I remember the Cards getting ripped for giving up what they did for a washed up, chronically injured Carson Palmer. They proved everyone wrong.

Agree, and if it doesn't... well it's the one position I am fine with them trying for. It's funny how many die hard Bradford fans appeared throughout the league when Philly moved up for Wentz.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let's just call it a very expensive gamble. I'm on record as saying Wentz is the best QB in this class, but I was against Dallas trading up just two spots for him. Had Dallas took him at 4 I'd be fine with it, but I didn't want to pay a kings ransom for the right to do so. Hell even at 4 with no trade it would have been a gamble pick because of the talent he with and against. Oh let's not forget NDSU has been on the most talented team in its division for 5 years now, how much of it was Wentz and how much was the rest of the team.

In short I for one am not knocking Wentz, I'm knocking the trade it took to get him. It's a gamble Eagles fans better pray works out.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, and if it doesn't... well it's the one position I am fine with them trying for. It's funny how many die hard Bradford fans appeared throughout the league when Philly moved up for Wentz.
One position who the Eagles MORTGAGED the future for.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Chase didn't get near the kind of deal Schaub got. 48 mil on the 07 cap, equivalent to 70 mil today. So well over 3 times the money. I guess that is where this one doesn't match up well is Philly gave up a LOT less. And there were a lot of Chase rumors too before Andy shut them down. Washington, Jets...

This one is kind of like when Pederson got that solid (at the time for an unproven backup) deal to come to Philly and compete for the job, then Philly drafted McNabb and Pederson's role was more of a mentor one immediately.
Based on the cap space of the time, this deal is somewhere in between Flynn and Whitehurst. Much closer to Whitehurst. Whitehurst got 5.2 mil/year in today's cap to backup an aging Hasselbeck, Flynn got 12 mil/year to compete for the starting job, Chase got 7/year. And that was to be a backup that could compete for the starting job for a struggling QB who's backups have seen a lot of field time.

Obviously with the move up to 2 to get a QB the situation has now changed, just as it did when Wilson played like a top rookie QB with Flynn. Again, not hurting them on their cap space, so not sure why you are so intent on worrying about Lurie's net worth.

I don't really care about Lurie's net worth so i'm not sure why that was brought up. Flynn got the money cause multiple teams were buying for his bid and Seattle won it. He was penciled in the starter but Wilson proved other wise. This is about bad contract signings and the Eagles have two of them at the QB position. I give them props for getting their QB of the future and hope it works out but I think they could have gotten Bradford and Daniels on cheaper contracts at the start of FA.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say giving up what they did to move up to grab Wentz ain't the smartest move.

In a QB driven league, I think the Eagles made the right move. If Weintz pans out then they have a franchise QB for the next ten years or so and can add talent around him. If he busts, then their set back a couple more years.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Huh? The Cards got ripped?? They stole Palmer for nothing.

The Cardinal swapped 6th round picks with the Raiders and give up a 7th rounder the next year. So essentially the Cardinals gave up a 7th round pick for Carson Palmer. That is low risk and a great front office move.

The Eagles gave up a third-round and fourth-round pick in this year’s draft, a first-round pick in next year’s draft and a second-round pick in 2018 for Carson Wentz, a guy that averages about 150 yards a game against division 2 talent. That is high risk and a questionable front office move at best.

Why trade all that for North Dakota State project especially when they sighed Daniels and extended Bradford for 2 years? That is a lot to gamble on a giant "if".

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a QB driven league, I think the Eagles made the right move. If Weintz pans out then they have a franchise QB for the next ten years or so and can add talent around him. If he busts, then their set back a couple more years.
Giving up that much for a division 2 QB is a huge risk. Maybe it works out, but with that many holes on the Eagles, giving up that much for potential is a way over the top if you ask me.

Serious question - How many division 2 QB's have actually panned out in the NFL? I don't know the answer. The only one that is note worthy that I can think of is Steve McNair (RIP). I know there is more that I am missing.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh? The Cards got ripped?? They stole Palmer for nothing.

The Cardinal swapped 6th round picks with the Raiders and give up a 7th rounder the next year. So essentially the Cardinals gave up a 7th round pick for Carson Palmer. That is low risk and a great front office move.

The Eagles gave up a third-round and fourth-round pick in this year’s draft, a first-round pick in next year’s draft and a second-round pick in 2018 for Carson Wentz, a guy that averages about 150 yards a game against division 2 talent. That is high risk and a questionable front office move at best.

Why trade all that for North Dakota State project especially when they sighed Daniels and extended Bradford for 2 years? That is a lot to gamble on a giant "if".

You are right. I confused the Cards with the Raiders.

It wasn't a questionable move at all. Many respectable draft experts, like the one who I think is the best (Mayock) had him as the number one talent in the draft. The FO thinks you have to have a star QB and they went after one. We will see if they are right. Nothing questionable about going after who you think is going to be a star QB. Bradford is on two one year deals. They dumped a bunch of high priced mediocre players. They gave up a lot but like o said before... If Wentz is a star they literally have 15 years to build a team around him. That extra first and second will be a distant memory.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right. I confused the Cards with the Raiders.

It wasn't a questionable move at all. Many respectable draft experts, like the one who I think is the best (Mayock) had him as the number one talent in the draft. The FO thinks you have to have a star QB and they went after one. We will see if they are right. Nothing questionable about going after who you think is going to be a star QB. Bradford is on two one year deals. They dumped a bunch of high priced mediocre players. They gave up a lot but like o said before... If Wentz is a star they literally have 15 years to build a team around him. That extra first and second will be a distant memory.
Yes. If.

Give me a list of division 2 QBs that have panned out in the NFL.

Maybe it turns out to be a great move. However, right now, it is a bad move in my eyes.

I guess you could make the case that the Eagles were already in horrible shape because of the Chip Kelly decision so why not take a huge gamble since they have nothing to lose

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta be honest this is the first year since McNabb's rookie season that I think the Eagles will genuinely be awful this year. If the Browns weren't such a clusterfuck, I'd say we've set them up for huge success in the next 5 years, but they'll fuck it up.

skinzfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO picking up Wentz was the right move. They should have decided to move forward with him before signing Bradford, thats the mistake they made. Now they need to get him on the field early in the season. Most third string QB's are inactive for the games. Bradford has no interest in mentoring Wentz, Daniels has completed 50 passes in his career ...meh.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
13 teams in the league don't have franchise QB's. Fitzpatrick is a backup in most places. Daniel is the best of the backups.
Highest paid doesn't = best, it just means the team over paid.