• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dusty's Managerial Gaffes 2013 Season

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong. Dusty had a gaffe in each of the 3 historic home playoff losses last year. He got a 2 year extension out of it.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dustmop strikes again and I will write this game today off to the dumbass chewing a toothpick in the dugout. 108 pitches and Forte doubles in the 7th inning so Dustmop sits and watches 2 more run producing hits before he gets off his lazy ass and pulls an obviously gassed Homer in 90+ degree heat. Can you say total dumb fuck? At this point, why get a wild card? You will get beat immediately with this joke in the dugout. There is ZERO coaching and teaching on this team otherwise we would see results on the field. What a waste of space Dustmop and his band of rejects are.

Kate Upton

Hotter than Kate Upton
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dustmop strikes again and I will write this game today off to the dumbass chewing a toothpick in the dugout. 108 pitches and Forte doubles in the 7th inning so Dustmop sits and watches 2 more run producing hits before he gets off his lazy ass and pulls an obviously gassed Homer in 90+ degree heat. Can you say total dumb fuck? At this point, why get a wild card? You will get beat immediately with this joke in the dugout. There is ZERO coaching and teaching on this team otherwise we would see results on the field. What a waste of space Dustmop and his band of rejects are.

That's a joke.

Dusty didn't lose this game. Our piece of shit $200 million slap hitting 1st baseman and our $72 million "slap in the face" 2nd baseman lost this game.

Stop blaming the fucking manager for the shitty play of the 2 highest paid players on the team.

If he takes Bailey out after the double, puts Hoover in and he gives it up, your post on this thread would be "Why did Dustmop take Homer out. He had 12 K's! What a dumbass!"

Go ahead and lie and say I'm wrong.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a joke.

Dusty didn't lose this game. Our piece of shit $200 million slap hitting 1st baseman and our $72 million "slap in the face" 2nd baseman lost this game.

Stop blaming the fucking manager for the shitty play of the 2 highest paid players on the team.

If he takes Bailey out after the double, puts Hoover in and he gives it up, your post on this thread would be "Why did Dustmop take Homer out. He had 12 K's! What a dumbass!"

Go ahead and lie and say I'm wrong.

I concur on this one, a little. Dusty might have benefited by taking Bailey down.
He might have benefited more if the team had more than a leadoff infield single for the first 7 innings.
I don't blame Dusty for losing THIS game, and I tip a cap to the Pirates pitchers for bucking it up, just like AC did yesterday.
But I DO blame the entire Reds hitting philosophy that comes from Dusty on down.
Homer pitched well enough to win and even the 3 runs should not have beaten him.
Reds will NOT win a divisional title with this team. No chance of it.
Wild card ... ? Yeah, but

:wtf2:

Kate Upton

Hotter than Kate Upton
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I concur on this one, a little. Dusty might have benefited by taking Bailey down.
He might have benefited more if the team had more than a leadoff infield single for the first 7 innings.
I don't blame Dusty for losing THIS game, and I tip a cap to the Pirates pitchers for bucking it up, just like AC did yesterday.
But I DO blame the entire Reds hitting philosophy that comes from Dusty on down.
Homer pitched well enough to win and even the 3 runs should not have beaten him.
Reds will NOT win a divisional title with this team. No chance of it.
Wild card ... ? Yeah, but

:wtf2:

I don't think it's all on the "philosophy"

It can't be.

I mean, it's part of it, but these guys are major league players. They've been hitting since they were 5 years old. How much "instruction" or "change in philosophy" does a major leaguer really need to be effective?

Again, I think it's partly to blame, but maybe we just need to face facts and realize that Cozart sucks.

And Heisey sucks.

And Frazier sucks.

And whoever is catching on a particular day sucks.

I mean, how often do you need to instruct Phillips and Frazier and Bruce to not swing at terrible pitches? You really think nothing has been said to these guys?

You think it's Jacoby's philosophy to have these guys repeatedly swing at shit game after game?

Pitching is largely about mechanics. Those can be taught, and once they are taught, then a guy's natural ability can take over.

Teaching hitting isn't the same thing.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kate--your rants are sheer insane idiocy. Get a life, a new avatar, and a clue. Dustmop contributed to this loss today and yes Votto could have got a hit. Votto's double play would have tied the game had Dustbucket have pulled Homer after two hits he gave up. The only Dumbass on this thread is you for blaming a guy hitting over .300--RETARD.

Kate Upton

Hotter than Kate Upton
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kate--your rants are sheer insane idiocy. Get a life, a new avatar, and a clue. Dustmop contributed to this loss today and yes Votto could have got a hit. Votto's double play would have tied the game had Dustbucket have pulled Homer after two hits he gave up. The only Dumbass on this thread is you for blaming a guy hitting over .300--RETARD.

You just summed up your baseball idiocy quite nicely with this post.

Good work.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, none of us is a genius or an idiot so we can probably stop a little short of those definitions.
Here's generally where I am on this. I think the Reds overall plate strategy and offensive philosophy is different from other successful teams and their record is heavily related to their home ballpark.

No Dusty didn't lose this one, except for maybe every manager *could* make a game-changing decision. You don't know what they are unless they are made and that's bringing the water over from the pump in your hands to put inside the bucket.

No, you're right ... these guys have a hitting style that they learned in the minors, and those weaknesses are being exploited by top pitchers who know how to work a new kind of strike zone. Yeah, and so does Homer Bailey and Bronson Arroyo.

But there's still teaching that can occur and if there's no need for a hitting coach, then why the fuck do we have one? If he is to help guys get out of a slump, that ain't happenin'. If he is supposed to help guys just hit to the right side, seems to me that's something that a coach can help a guy with.

It ain't happenin'.

GIDP ... against Melancon, as was pointed out ... a fairly predictable outcome. So ... call for a squeeze bunt or something. Put a play on that actually has a chance of working. McKenry is a very ordinary catcher.

What is NOT working is a consistent offense -- and it hasn't worked in 3 years. Name one player who got better under Jacoby's watch. Now, we can blame the hitters, all of whom have shown to be better in the past, but now they are regressing in the face of scouting reports -- that I don't really see that the Reds make much use of.

Blame the dugout staff? There's really no choice. It's time to replace the hitting coach. The team can't hit. It's not the beer vendor's fault.

Kate Upton

Hotter than Kate Upton
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree that Jacoby sucks and should be replaced John, but how much would a new hitting coach improve things really?

Is a new hitting coach going to stop Phillips, Bruce, and Frazier from swinging at shit every game?

Or turn Votto back into the run producer that he's supposed to be instead of the glorified James Loney clone that he has become?

Or make Cozart, Heisey, and whoever is catching on a particular day not be an automatic out?

These guys are professional baseball players and at some point, they have to be accountable for their performance. It's easy to blame the coaches because they are well... easy to blame. It's much more difficult to face the harsh reality that the players themselves may just stink, because they are much harder to replace.

Face it guys, the players need to play better. Choo and Bruce are pretty much what they are every year. Phillips has overproduced only from a run producing standpoint.

Everybody else in this lineup? Underachieving...especially our $200 million singles hitting 1st baseman.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree the players are all accountable for their performance.

All
three
hits
today.

I blame the coach because it should not have gotten to this point.
And it isn't going to change.
What is ... is what IS ... it's the two pieces of bread on either side of the meat.
Playing better has always been something I've believed and I don't assume that they aren't doing as well as they can. I think the strategies are wrong and since I don't do the sessions, I have no idea what they are told or not told.
But Jeff Locke is NOT a guy who ought to be throwing 1-hitters.
He's good ... but the Reds are supposed to be a contender.

These are not great hitters, not in the true sense ... but they are showing up HELPLESS in regular runs around the batting order. HELPLESS.

Clueless.

If the coach can't help them, then get a different coach. I'd just like to try it. If it fails, get a different coach.

Or replace the players. Good luck with that.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I blame coaches/ managers for horrible baserunning, especially if they get hosed in nonsensicle situations. I blame them for bad situational play. I blame players for not getting a bunt down, but the dugout for not having them try. I don't blame a player like Cozart, who stole 30 bases in a season in the minors, for not stealing, I blame the dugout for him not trying. I have to blame a coach for turning a player that used to hit behind the runner, into a pull only swingaholic. I blame the LOOGY for walking the lefty hitter he was brought in to get out, but I blame the manager for him giving up a hit to the next righty hitter he was left in to face.

There is plenty of blame to go around, if so disposed. The problem is, it's pointless unless it effects a positive change. So far, I've seen little reason to believe this dugout staff can do more with this roster, than the roster produces without the dugout staff. This team has added "another bat" damned near every year Dusty has been here, and they're still ALWAYS short one. The pitching and defense are substantially better than when Dusty started here, and we still haven't won a single home playoff game...All of that isn't the players fault... but it's a team game and mistakes do cost wins, regardless if they are mistakes by players, the dugout or the front office, and they've all made them. All teams do, but the ones that win, make less of them, especially when it counts. Often, when it counts, is when our Reds fall down the most.

Better players would win more. Better dugout staff would also win a few more. There is an old addage that it's easier to fire a manager than a roster, but the truth is, it's just always cheaper. In order to correct a problem, you first have to admit you have one, then correctly identify how to fix it. One if my problems with Dusty is, I've never heard him admit a mistake on his part, so I must assume he's not going to fix any either. In Dustys defense, he's still the manager, so that says something about his bosses perspectives- they're either happy with the results, or they haven't yet decided they are unacceptable due to Dusty's primary fault.

All else equal, as long as the profit margin is there, and attendance is good, the Reds may be fine without a trophy. It's kind of a double edged sword- if attendance is down, so is the payroll, usually...right now, the Reds payroll is higher than it's ever been, they're winning more than they're losing, just not winning enough to be in 1st place, or lately, when they were, to get better than losing in the first post season series. Are fan happy with that ? Must be, they're still showing up...are the owners and front office satisfied ? Dusty ? The players ? Not sure we'll ever really know that.

Kate Upton

Hotter than Kate Upton
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I blame coaches/ managers for horrible baserunning, especially if they get hosed in nonsensicle situations. I blame them for bad situational play. I blame players for not getting a bunt down, but the dugout for not having them try. I don't blame a player like Cozart, who stole 30 bases in a season in the minors, for not stealing, I blame the dugout for him not trying. I have to blame a coach for turning a player that used to hit behind the runner, into a pull only swingaholic. I blame the LOOGY for walking the lefty hitter he was brought in to get out, but I blame the manager for him giving up a hit to the next righty hitter he was left in to face.

There is plenty of blame to go around, if so disposed. The problem is, it's pointless unless it effects a positive change. So far, I've seen little reason to believe this dugout staff can do more with this roster, than the roster produces without the dugout staff. This team has added "another bat" damned near every year Dusty has been here, and they're still ALWAYS short one. The pitching and defense are substantially better than when Dusty started here, and we still haven't won a single home playoff game...All of that isn't the players fault... but it's a team game and mistakes do cost wins, regardless if they are mistakes by players, the dugout or the front office, and they've all made them. All teams do, but the ones that win, make less of them, especially when it counts. Often, when it counts, is when our Reds fall down the most.

Better players would win more. Better dugout staff would also win a few more. There is an old addage that it's easier to fire a manager than a roster, but the truth is, it's just always cheaper. In order to correct a problem, you first have to admit you have one, then correctly identify how to fix it. One if my problems with Dusty is, I've never heard him admit a mistake on his part, so I must assume he's not going to fix any either. In Dustys defense, he's still the manager, so that says something about his bosses perspectives- they're either happy with the results, or they haven't yet decided they are unacceptable due to Dusty's primary fault.

All else equal, as long as the profit margin is there, and attendance is good, the Reds may be fine without a trophy. It's kind of a double edged sword- if attendance is down, so is the payroll, usually...right now, the Reds payroll is higher than it's ever been, they're winning more than they're losing, just not winning enough to be in 1st place, or lately, when they were, to get better than losing in the first post season series. Are fan happy with that ? Must be, they're still showing up...are the owners and front office satisfied ? Dusty ? The players ? Not sure we'll ever really know that.

Completely agree

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dusty_dice.jpg

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is A++ material ROFLMAO. It explains everything--fuckin awesome!!

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luckily, Dusty doesn't roll the dice much. These guys need to hit more, or he will roll more. It's pretty good motivation to get on the Ryan Braun prescription. Hit or steal in pitch out counts. Hit or lose your job to a washed up, hitless pinch hitter. Hit or get blamed for not bunting on your own to get d leadoff double to 3b before there are 2 outs. Hit or Dusty will refuse to walk the opposing 8 hitter, with 2 RISP and 1b open with 1 out and the pitcher on deck. Hit or get called bluegill. Hit or blame Bartman, or whoever stuck that toothpick in the turd on the Wrigley home bench, and named it Dusty. Hit or finish 3rd in every non contract year, while Dusty whines for another bat. Hit or let every lefty hitter in the NL swat curveballs by all righty rotations. Hit or watch Manny Parra pitch out of trouble. Hit or listen to how tough Dusty had it in the Jim Crowe south...after growing up in Northern California in the same neighborhood as Giants great Bobby Bonds. Yadayadayada.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What kind of bull shit was Dustradamus pulling last night batting Chappy and not executing a double switch when he put him in the game to begin with? Wins are great and you really shouldn't complain but WTF? This is exactly the kind of inconsistent garbage that Dustmop does over a 162 game season. I just sat in my chair last night and watch an 8 run lead nearly disappear and DustMop has a complete brain cramp. The CBS message board was lighting up because everyone just witnessed a complete idiotic move. In the playoffs, you can Bank on DustMop to pull more stupid shit and all it takes is one fucked up move to bounce you out and put you on the couch. What a complete moron.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the plan was for Chapman to pitch both innings. He only had Sam and Simon left and I think the Broxton injury sealed that deal. Hoover was the guy who screwed the pooch. Chapman was pretty close to taking a walk, which I think would have been even worse.

Evidently Ondrusek has not been getting much love.

Chappy isn't fooling anybody with a 95-fastball. If he ain't going 101, high in the zone, he's just a better version of batting practice.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point JohnU was that DustMop knew he was gonna pitch 2 innings when he put him in. Why not double switch right there to take the bat out of his hands? WHY?

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Semantics of a double switch are always supposed to be about manipulating the lineup and pitching, and sometimes, improving the defense.

It does amaze me the frequency of trying to manipulate the lineup in the late innings, yet putting a .230 hitter in the 2 hole all season.