• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dusty's Managerial Gaffes 2013 Season

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. I had to start this thread as I am on Dusteromus like a hawk. Last night, losing to the lowly Cubs, I blame the "toothpicker" --Dusteromus. Lets analyze how one can make that assertion. 1) start a struggling Frazier against a RHP with Hananhan swinging a good bat 2) Meso is a young guy, should have been in the lineup last night instead of Corky "the Whiff" Miller and 3) leaving Parra in to pitch a 2nd inning was absurd. This guy is a 1-2 batter pitcher at best and it better be against lefthanded hitters. I know the bullpen was used extensively the night before but you good have used Ondrusek for another inning. Plus, where is the consistency. You start Chappy for the 10th the night before but tonight you let Parra go out for another inning to get shelled. Sorry folks, Dusty is an idiot. Even if you win the division, this idiot will kill you in a short series making stupid decisions. Dusteromus is good for at least 6-8 losses a year and after 20 games, I am hanging his first of the season on him after this debacle. Dont worry, more will follow and they will be even more convincing.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now for all you Dusty supporters:

Reds catcher Devin Mesoraco was left out of the lineup Tuesday against the Cubs. Corky Miller replaced him behind the plate.

Mesoraco caught 35 innings over the previous three games after a couple went extra innings.

"I'm fine. I feel like I can catch as many as we play, no matter when it is," Mesoraco told MLB.com. "It's different in the big leagues, I think, because the stakes are much higher. I feel like I trained for this in the offseason, to play every day and catch as many innings as they want."

Doesn't sound like a problem to me. Again, just sheer hard headed BS by Dusteromus.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know I'm no Dusty fan... But I've been so frustrated for so many years at him, at this point I blame the Reds... They see it every day and do nothing to change things.

I try to refrain from too many player moves after decimating the roster in the previous few games-Parra was the only reliever not used the previous day and Mesoraco caught the whole game. We atent privy to all the hidden aches and bruises. I do often believe if Dusty managed better in the 9 inning game,he could avoid the extra inning issues.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, letting Soriano steal second and third, all on Cingrani.
Not getting men on base, maybe that's the philosophy, but again ... not on the manager.
Parra didn't hold the guy on 2nd, and he stole third, scored on a blooper that would not have scored him.
Corky's error, Cozart's error ... no clutch hitting ... the problem is that Corky isn't a very good choice for a backup catcher. And we all wanted Olivo to go. Or Navarro.
Any time you trade a catcher or DFA one of them ... Corky is your backup when somebody gets hurt.
Which was why I didn't want to lose Grandal, even though the PEDs issue surfaced later with him.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hindsight is 20:20... But there is a lot of sample size on baseball 101. Forgetting a runner is pretty basic, especially if you put him there... but people forget their kids in the car and leave the coffee pot on all day. Of course I think almost every mistake on a baseball field could have been avoided or corrected by a manager and/ or catcher. I can't imagine having runners on is anything new for Parra, but pitching in a close game probably is. He's supposed to be a LOOGY folks... not a 2 inning pressure shutoff valve. The wrong guy for the role, deemed necessary by not getting a win in regulation the previous day. Downstream impacts....shit flows downhill too.

Duffy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dusty stole my dog.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dusty stole my dog.

Here I was, blaming the cat.

image031.jpg

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a big Dusty fan. It's a shame Jocketty has to build a team for a guy because he refuses to manage any differently. Imagine what success Walt could have if he could actually find the players he wanted, and not have to worry about adhering to the 'R,L,R,L,R... batting order' or 'you can play everyday even if you hit .200 as long as you've been in the league 8+ years'

redsfan03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine an alternate reality in which Dusty was fired after the debacle of a season that was 2011. After the cries of Reds racism die down, Walt Jocketty looks at the coaching candidates and picks a guy he's a little familiar with from his days as the Cardinals GM: Mike Matheny. I sometimes wonder how different last season would be...

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well his fans and the Reds media PR will tell you about his >1500 wins... 19th of all time. They won't tell you he's also 19th in losses all time at almost 1500, and that his post season record is abysmal. He is undeniably one of the top active African American MLB managers...are there only 2 ? Dusty owes his legacy to longevity. I couldn't say what he owes his longevity to, but he didn't have to waste any time in the minors- he got his opportunity with zero managerial or bench coach experience. He was a hitting coach for a minute. Tony Perez got fired from a horrible Reds team after 44 games. Davey Johnson was let go after winning a division. Several managers gave been fired for not getting to , or even winning the World Series. Dusty prevails regardless, somewhere in MLB. They HAVE to say its because hes great, dont they ?

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The name Bartman is infamous, but it was Dusty that forgot to get the bullpen up after Prior started the inning with over 100 pitches, and half a dozen runs had scored, all AFTER the Bartman incident. He also didn't win game 7 the next day, but Bartman "blew" the Cubs WS chance. All 3 of the Reds playoff losses last year contained a Dusty gaffe at a critical time, but he didn't get mentioned in the losses. If Monica Lewinski had been blowing President Dusty in the White House, he'd be on his 6th term now.

Duffy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't stop thinking of a President Dusty now.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'd get invaded by Puerto Rico.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dusty would surrender and get the Nobel Peace Prize. 3 times.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be hard to call him a Muslim though.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dusteromus gets his 2nd loss of the season pinned on him today 5/8/13 against the Braves for sending Leake back out in the 8th and starting Lutz against a left hander. This peabrain never ceases to amaze me yet the media wants to talk about 1600 wins. Talk about the losses with the all star talent this baffoon has coached over the years. Talk about that.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do we even have a bullpen?
Leake was at 100 pitches. He had already batted to end the 7th.

redsfan03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand it. It almost seems like Dusty is intentionally sabotaging this team with his managerial choices. Maybe this clown is smarter than he lets on...

redsfan03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what drives me insane about Dusty is that he never admits it. In the post-game press conference he talked about how he won't make "alibis," then he proceeded to give off a laundry list of excuses...

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dusty is as Dusty does.... And his team either works it out, or not. His team won 97 games and 2 playoff games last year, and he didn't make mistakes any less frequently. He has good PR, with 1600 wins and the " players manager" moniker, and the smokescreen called "chemistry". Don't get me wrong, it's a players job to execute on the field. It's also a little less noticeable, but just as important the manager executes too. We can't see who's gimpy, or sick, we just see who plays... and Dusty may get criticized for some player moves out of his control. He also screws up fundamental situational play that isn't always recognized by the average fan...

Last night, just because Dusty wanted a SP to go deep to spare his unnecessarily spent bullpen, didn't make it successful... but he was trying to make it happen. Leake did a good job for a long time, but you can go to a frequently dry well too often.

The bottom line is, when the team is winning, most people don't cry about the manager, and when they lose, most cry about the manager, often regardless of his real skill at the job. All Dusty needs to do is win.