• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dustin Johnson and the so called "bunker"

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Dustin was thinking that his bunker error from 2010 will get moderate air time he can forget it.
It seems to be the actual theme for this year PGA Championship.

Maybe it's deserved, maybe it's not. I guess with the 3 putt at the US open it's being made into 1 big narrative.

You have to know the rules, plain and simple. Especially when they taped them all over the locker room as was the case with these bunkers that don't look like bunkers at Whistling Straits.

But on the flip side, You have the last major of the season, and they decided to use a course that has 967 separate bunkers that sometime you can't tell where the bunker ends and the grass begins.

You almost get the feeling that is why they put the major here. It creates a huge buzz when a golfer gets a 2 stroke penalty ..especially in major. Is that story not front and center this week??

...and this year it's 1012 seperate bunkers. It was great for ratings the last time ..I guess they thought, why not put more in.

gb2

I Hate Orange.!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that story not front and center this week??

I haven't noticed that being the storyline, but who knows? I agree Johnson should have known that was a bunker, especially his friggin CADDY!
But I do believe that the storyline will revolve around the licking of Rory's ballsack all week.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't noticed that being the storyline, but who knows? I agree Johnson should have known that was a bunker, especially his friggin CADDY!
But I do believe that the storyline will revolve around the licking of Rory's ballsack all week.

If you have been paying attention and clearly you haven't, it's pretty normal for Rory to get criticized.
Spieth is the darling and that is a fact.

I can't give you a better example than this story that just came out.

Spieth is the favorite to win at 1 specific sports book at 6-1
Rory is 2nd at 12 to 1.

Now look at how this story gets framed.

"Jordan Spieth listed as favorite at PGA Championship; bettors shy from Rory McIlroy"

2015 PGA Championship -- Jordan Spieth listed as favorite; Rory McIlroy support minimal

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you have been paying attention and clearly you haven't, it's pretty normal for Rory to get criticized.
Spieth is the darling and that is a fact.

I can't give you a better example than this story that just came out.

Spieth is the favorite to win at 1 specific sports book at 6-1
Rory is 2nd at 12 to 1.

Now look at how this story gets framed.

"Jordan Spieth listed as favorite at PGA Championship; bettors shy from Rory McIlroy"

2015 PGA Championship -- Jordan Spieth listed as favorite; Rory McIlroy support minimal

I just believe that we are in this era where some folks just feel the need to hate certain folks in all sports (golf included) at times. As Tiger becomes less relevant some feel the need to transfer their anger towards someone else. Rory would be a likely target primarily due to his success. Trust me - at some pt in the future some folks will learn to hate Speith especially as he wins more & if he possibly gets in some type of hot water in the future (which seems unlikely now but lots of things can change over time).

People just need to enjoy all of the good golfers in these majors and the drama that has been evident especially this year. They need to give a lot of this hate a rest for a while.

gb2

I Hate Orange.!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's pretty normal for Rory to get criticized

I've yet to see anyone criticize Rory for anything. Throwing his club in the water is a perfect example. All the media did was to joke about it and marvel at his club throwing prowess.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've yet to see anyone criticize Rory for anything. Throwing his club in the water is a perfect example. All the media did was to joke about it and marvel at his club throwing prowess.

Are you watching the golf channel? No? Oh, you just missed the crew discussing if Rory resents or gets frustrated about being asked all the questions about Jordan Spieth.

gb2

I Hate Orange.!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you just missed the crew discussing if Rory resents or gets frustrated about being asked all the questions about Jordan Spieth

lol....good, cuz now Rory knows how Tiger feels.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DJ should have known because he should have read the flyer on it ... or at least his caddy should have. But letting spectators stand in the bunker while he was hitting out of it was bs. It's understandable he might have not thought it was a hazard. Where else have they ever let spectators stand in a hazard while someone is playing out of it ?

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DJ should have known because he should have read the flyer on it ... or at least his caddy should have. But letting spectators stand in the bunker while he was hitting out of it was bs. It's understandable he might have not thought it was a hazard. Where else have they ever let spectators stand in a hazard while someone is playing out of it ?

It is funny how golf is one of the few sports that lets crowds practically stand next to competitors. I swear I almost wish that somebody from the crowd would get hit by a ball (say in the leg w/o major damage) just to reinforce the message to keep those damn crowds out of the way. Not to even mention how some of the drunk folks now feel compelled to yell something after practically every shot.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is funny how golf is one of the few sports that lets crowds practically stand next to competitors. I swear I almost wish that somebody from the crowd would get hit by a ball (say in the leg w/o major damage) just to reinforce the message to keep those damn crowds out of the way. Not to even mention how some of the drunk folks now feel compelled to yell something after practically every shot.

I don't know how those guys get used to hitting with people so close and often through small shoots of them with crowds on both sides. I'd wind up killing someone if I had to hit in those circumstances.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how those guys get used to hitting with people so close and often through small shoots of them with crowds on both sides. I'd wind up killing someone if I had to hit in those circumstances.

A buddy of mine used to say "Could you imagine what we would do if surrounded by crowds like that". I would always reply "No - since those crowds would never exist for us".

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He caught plenty of heat after walking off the course when he was having his problems. Remember the "his problems are all dental" soundbite? I think the thing is that he addressed things as they happen when he makes mistakes and then moves on. I'm not saying he's a nice guy but it's smart to just face what's going on and move forward instead of trying to sweep things under the rug because all the press is going to do is keep hounding you about it.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The only part I would have a problem with is silence from the crowd. For 20 years my friends never shut the hell up when someone is hitting that now none of us can hit a golf ball when it's too quiet.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I rest my case.

And this is a really good article that is not just about Spieth but how the media covered golf in general with Jack, Arnold, Tiger, Rory & Spieth.

The Need for Spieth: Why the Media Adores Golf’s Latest Phenom «

This section in particular.

"The allure of such a character is so great that the Masters theme song seems to be tinkling in writers’ minds as they type their game stories. Last April, Spieth entered the final day at Augusta tied for the lead with Bubba Watson. He played the eighth and ninth holes badly and rolled a ball into Rae’s Creek, and lost by three strokes. Or, to read the stories the next day, maybe he didn’t:

Gene Wojciechowski, ESPN: “Spieth didn’t lose the Masters; Bubba Watson won it.”

Karen Crouse, New York Times: “Spieth did not lose the tournament Sunday; the more experienced Watson leaned on all his institutional knowledge to win it.”

Jim Rome: “Look, there have been some unbelievable players who gagged hard on Sunday at Augusta. Spieth isn’t one of them … He didn’t lose that jacket, Bubba ripped it from him.”

Tom Weir, Bleacher Report: “Spieth didn’t let this one get away. It simply wasn’t his time.”

Mike Purkey, Golf Today: “Spieth didn’t win but he didn’t lose.”

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Dustin was thinking that his bunker error from 2010 will get moderate air time he can forget it.
It seems to be the actual theme for this year PGA Championship.

Maybe it's deserved, maybe it's not. I guess with the 3 putt at the US open it's being made into 1 big narrative.

You have to know the rules, plain and simple. Especially when they taped them all over the locker room as was the case with these bunkers that don't look like bunkers at Whistling Straits.

But on the flip side, You have the last major of the season, and they decided to use a course that has 967 separate bunkers that sometime you can't tell where the bunker ends and the grass begins.

You almost get the feeling that is why they put the major here. It creates a huge buzz when a golfer gets a 2 stroke penalty ..especially in major. Is that story not front and center this week??

...and this year it's 1012 seperate bunkers. It was great for ratings the last time ..I guess they thought, why not put more in.

DJ's mishap is a natural lead in at the same venue...no brainer for the media to play that up, but I think they have said more about the bunker now being covered by grand stands than harping on the penalty.

Scary that this guy just continues to lay the lumber to these guys in the 1st 54 holes of majors lately. I'm in 2 other major pools (got the DM, but 3 is too many) and got him in one of them...we'll have to see if he has the mental resolve to finish the deal...other than mental there was no reason for him to fall apart at the British.