• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Durant with a Jordan-esque performance tonight...

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you are the best Scorer in the game AND/OR the most efficient scorer AND/OR the so-called best player on the planet (who can get to the basket for a high-percentage shot any time he chooses) then YOU should be the guy carrying the Scoring load... not the guy taking 4-5 shots in the 4th Quarter of a close game while deferring to your teammates who take long-range / low-percentage shots.

Understand the difference now...?

I dont think you ever played basketball beyond high school. You dont force it against a double or triple team. You hit the open man. Thats why they are called pros.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think you ever played basketball beyond high school. You dont force it against a double or triple team. You hit the open man. Thats why they are called pros.

Not entirely true. Sometimes if there is a player left open, it's for a reason. Not deferring doesn't mean that the superstar player necessarily takes all of the shots and all of the game tying/winning shots. It means they are the one's with the ball in their hands determining who will take that final shot.

Example: I have seen Kobe pass the ball to Horry, D-Fish and even Metta with games on the line. That was Kobe determining that player had the best shot and could be trusted with that shot.

If the superstar is double teamed, him shooting against the double team may still be the best shot or "basketball play". As a Laker fan, I'd rather see Kobe shoot against a double team than see him hit Luke Walton for a wide open 18-20 footer.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not entirely true. Sometimes if there is a player left open, it's for a reason. Not deferring doesn't mean that the superstar player necessarily takes all of the shots and all of the game tying/winning shots. It means they are the one's with the ball in their hands determining who will take that final shot.

Example: I have seen Kobe pass the ball to Horry, D-Fish and even Metta with games on the line. That was Kobe determining that player had the best shot and could be trusted with that shot.

If the superstar is double teamed, him shooting against the double team may still be the best shot or "basketball play". As a Laker fan, I'd rather see Kobe shoot against a double team than see him hit Luke Walton for a wide open 18-20 footer.

I disagree especially at the pro level. These guys get paid to play basketball. Maybe thats the reason Luke Walton washed out? Kobe didn't trust him. Sooner or later you are going to need your teammates to step up. i'd rather lose playing the right way than rob my teammates of confidence. Its all basketball philosophy and why some players win and others are just scoring wonders.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree especially at the pro level. These guys get paid to play basketball. Maybe thats the reason Luke Walton washed out? Kobe didn't trust him. Sooner or later you are going to need your teammates to step up. i'd rather lose playing the right way than rob my teammates of confidence. Its all basketball philosophy and why some players win and others are just scoring wonders.

I agree that sooner or later teammates have to step up. Guys with multiple rings get them because their teammates step up. However, it's also about those teammates being in a position to step up.

If a guy who doesn't have an outside shot is standing wide open 20 feet from the basket and the superstar is doubled, the superstar takes the shot (or should), not the guy with no outside shot. Superstar players are paid what they are to make those decisions and take those shots.

Trust is as much about knowing when to trust a player and when not to. You trust a guy to make a shot that you know he can make, not one that he's unlikely to make. Kobe might have trusted Luke with a 10-15 foot shot, but he wouldn't trust him with an 18+ foot shot because he's much less likely to hit that deeper shot.

TheDangerousKitchen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think you ever played basketball... period.

When you are an elite Scorer and you have the choice between a high-percentage shot (in / around the paint) OR deferring to your teammate/s for a low-percentage shot, you go with the former every time.

IF you are a Closer, that is... like Durant, (Jordan, Kobe, Melo, et al). If you're more suited to be a #2 man (like Pippen, LeBron, et al) then your natural inclination is to pass the ball first.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, wait... did you think I meant "never" deferred, when it's a well known fact that MJ passed to Kerr to clinch the 97 Championship?

Come on now... you know damn well the implication, so spare me your feeble attempts to deflect from the point: Some guys are Closers and some aren't.

Durant is a Closer (like Jordan, Kobe, Melo, Wade, et al).

backwards-running.jpg

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you ever played basketball... period.

When you are an elite Scorer and you have the choice between a high-percentage shot (in / around the paint) OR deferring to your teammate/s for a low-percentage shot, you go with the former every time.

IF you are a Closer, that is... like Durant, (Jordan, Kobe, Melo, et al). If you're more suited to be a #2 man (like Pippen, LeBron, et al) then your natural inclination is to pass the ball first.

2 and 3 people guarding you isn't a high percentage shot dumbass. Where did you learn math? Now you just proved you never played at all.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that sooner or later teammates have to step up. Guys with multiple rings get them because their teammates step up. However, it's also about those teammates being in a position to step up.

If a guy who doesn't have an outside shot is standing wide open 20 feet from the basket and the superstar is doubled, the superstar takes the shot (or should), not the guy with no outside shot. Superstar players are paid what they are to make those decisions and take those shots.

Trust is as much about knowing when to trust a player and when not to. You trust a guy to make a shot that you know he can make, not one that he's unlikely to make. Kobe might have trusted Luke with a 10-15 foot shot, but he wouldn't trust him with an 18+ foot shot because he's much less likely to hit that deeper shot.

Thats correct. In order for those teammates to step up they need to be trusted to make the shot. At that level confidence in your ability and hard work is really the only separating factors. I know the value of giving your teammates confidence in their ability to shoot and the dividends it pays. If you are a person that believes in building up your teammates so they can share in the glory you have a great team. Those that don't understand that are usually only great players. Great teams win championships. Ask Bill Russell.

TheDangerousKitchen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 and 3 people guarding you isn't a high percentage shot dumbass. Where did you learn math? Now you just proved you never played at all.

Who said it was, shit for brains... re-read my first post on the matter, s-l-o-w-l-y this time, so your simple-mind can grasp the point (hopefully anyway because as you have proven repeatedly, you're not the sharpest tool in the shed).

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who said it was, shit for brains... re-read my first post on the matter, s-l-o-w-l-y this time, so your simple-mind can grasp the point (hopefully anyway because as you have proven repeatedly, you're not the sharpest tool in the shed).

Address what I said then dumbass. I was talking about passing while being double teamed. Cant you read? this is the point not some hypothetical point you now moved to because you sound like a dumbass that never touched a ball.

You dont force it against a double or triple team. You hit the open man.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just watched a airball by LeBron in the clutch....lol

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TrojanFan-

I get what youre saying. But if an NBA caliber player is wide open for a jump shot, they should get the ball. Your example of Luke Walton, is okay. But Luke shouldnt be 20 feet from the basket at that time anyways. Especially if no one is on him.. he should be moving towards the basket. Besides Luke Walton isnt known for his range. But let's say Luke is in his normal low post position and is open... should kobe then chuck up a 20 footer double guarded?

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KD did just that last game against the Nets. Ibaka made it which tied the game and then Joe Johnson hit the game winner.

No offense to Ibaka, it doesn't surprise me that happened, but I don't think you can say he is a very consistent option on offense, maybe in a situation without Westbrook where Durant is double teamed he can do something at the end of the game sure, but you won't be calling a lot of plays for Ibaka.

Besides that, my whole point was that not everyone has the cast that LeBron has around him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just watched a airball by LeBron in the clutch....lol

so in a thread about durant you decide to post about one shot by lebron? LMAO... obsess much? and of course.... it's a laker fan.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TrojanFan-

I get what youre saying. But if an NBA caliber player is wide open for a jump shot, they should get the ball. Your example of Luke Walton, is okay. But Luke shouldnt be 20 feet from the basket at that time anyways. Especially if no one is on him.. he should be moving towards the basket. Besides Luke Walton isnt known for his range. But let's say Luke is in his normal low post position and is open... should kobe then chuck up a 20 footer double guarded?

That's what I mean about trusting a player to make a shot they can make. If Luke is open 20 feet from the hoop and Kobe is doubled, then Kobe should still take the shot. But if Luke does as you suggest and moves to where he is within his range, then Kobe should dish it to Luke because that's a shot he can hit.

Again, that's why players like Kobe are paid what they are. To make those decisions and hit those tough shots when they have to.