• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dre Kirkpatrick

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Brown will end up putting in an official protest and not paying the players what the league asks of him. Just wait, he'll cause another strike, or there will be a law suit.

I'm starting to wonder how long I can continue to follow this helpless Bengals football team. There's nothing like it in all of sports... a team designed to fail. It's like Brown is really a closet Pittsburgh fan.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or, he'll decide to save as much money as possible this season because he'll be forced to spend the next. Hard to tell with Mike Brown.

This seems more likely, even though this team is in a great position to take a big step forward if Mikey would just take the rubber band off the bankroll......

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This seems more likely, even though this team is in a great position to take a big step forward if Mikey would just take the rubber band off the bankroll......

I will say I was pleasantly surprised when he gave Gruden a new contract. Mike is paying better than average dollar for his two coordinators right now. Never thought I'd see him do that.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Brown will end up putting in an official protest and not paying the players what the league asks of him. Just wait, he'll cause another strike, or there will be a law suit.

I'm starting to wonder how long I can continue to follow this helpless Bengals football team. There's nothing like it in all of sports... a team designed to fail. It's like Brown is really a closet Pittsburgh fan.

The problem with this...you have already resigned him to not spending any money, and wanting to leave teh fan base, based on your assumption of him not wanting to spend money this upcoming year. That does not sound like an "intelligent" or "rational" person at all.

Has Mike Brown been a cheap skate, and an embarrassment? Indeed.

Has he not improved this team over the last couple of years through coaches, better drafts and opening up his wallet a little bit in FA and waiting out the Palmer debacle to get what he wanted price wise.

We signed Clements, Howard, Lawson in FA last year. Those were some key additions to our defense. Granted, I would take Joseph any day over Clements, and he should have opened up his wallet for him, but he was already opening up his wallet to Hall.

We have 2 glaring needs: Guard and Safety (cornerback depending on Hall)

If we could attain a good CB through the draft (round 1 or 2), and have CB's of (Hall, Clements, Pacman, 2nd round draft pick) we could still be very solid there.

S - (Nelson, 1st round draft pick, Wilson, Sands, Mays)

Maualuga needs to improve, and right now he is a weakness in the middle, but it was his first year back in the middle, and hopefully if he can rededicate himself to being as good as he was at USC, that can at least be average to above average at that position next year.

LB's (Howard, Maualuga, Lawson, Rivers, Skuta, Muckelroy, Moch) not too bad.

DL (Dunlap, Peko, Atkins, Johnson, Sims, Rucker, Fanene) pretty good.

We had a top 7 defense this year with tons of injuries and guys not playing so well at times. Add in a 1st round safety, and a 2nd round CB, and hope Hall is 100% by season start, we could still be a top 10 defense.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

OL - We need serious help here. If a top left tackle is available around pick #17, I would not be opposed to taking that tackle to play LT, and move Whitworth back in to LG to help anchor that line. Nab a FA guard like Carl Nicks (spend some cash on him) and then bust our nut all over Matt Forte...we immediately took care of the OL and running game.

WR's (Green, Draft Pick or FA 'in light of new Simpson issues', Shipley, Hawkins, Binn, Whalen)

TE's (Gresham, Lee, Cochart)

FB (Pressley)

RB (Forte 'huge contract' 6 years / $60 million, Leonard, Scott)

QB (Dalton, Gradkowski, Robinson)

I would be comfortable going into next season with that, not including picks from rounds 3 - 7 that can help fill out depth and replace guys not cutting it.

Maybe not a championship caliber team, but I think one decent enough to compete for a playoff spot again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whitworth is not moving, nor should he. He consistently grades out as one of the better all-around LT's in the game.

Also, Forte will probably be tagged, I would imagine.

I think the focus in F/A should be a guard, if not two, a safety, and a WR to go opposite of AJ.

The draft can yeild a CB, Safety and a RB, and then depth whever value finds itself.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have so many needs we just need to wing it and go after anyone who can really help in free agency and the draft, whether a guard(2), corner, safety, wr2, MLB, RB.....I think it would be good if we had seven different starters next year, however we can find them.....however we do it, the following seven guys need to be replaced...not neccessarily in this order

RB Benson
G Livings
G McGlynn
WR Simpson
MLB Maualuga
CB Clements, assuming Hall can play
S Crocker

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Crash just provided the homer version of the Bengals mixed in with some lies.

Hobson, is that you?

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's just trying to save me from being a full time Tebowmaniac, got to love the Crash man.

I'll be round next season, most likely beating my head against the wall, don't worry.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Care to elaborate on the lies?

Sure.

"Granted, I would take Joseph any day over Clements, and he should have opened up his wallet for him, but he was already opening up his wallet to Hall."

Hall was not signed to an extension until AFTER we lost Joseph. Only after we lost Joseph did Mike open up his wallet to lock Hall up before he too hit the markets. To say Brown didn't open up his wallet to Joseph because he was already for Hall is an outright lie and is something only Hobson would suggest.

"Has he not improved this team over the last couple of years....opening up his wallet a little bit in FA."

Another Hobson-like twist/lie. Even 2 seasons ago, he went out and sought the bum that was Antonio Bryant, and when that didn't work out, he let TO hang out there until a week into training camp when Brown could lowball him very well knowing we needed a receiver in the worst way. "Lucky" for Brown, no other team wanted him. Essentially, Brown didn't care if he lost TO to another team or not, he only cared about getting him as cheap as possible if he were going to. And not to mention the last 3 receivers he's sought in Coles, Bryant, and TO were players no other team wanted assuring Brown they could be had for cheap. And these guys too were replacements for TJ and Henry, so it isn't as if this is money that wouldn't have been spent otherwise on guys who were already here.

Has he not improved this team over the last couple of years...waiting out the Palmer debacle to get what he wanted price wise.

Another Hobson-like twist/lie. Brown was intent on letting Carson sit the entire year had his "family ties" (we all know that's all he cares about) not kicked in with Hue requesting Carson's services. Brown would not have done it for anyone else. And he showed that with the several similar offers that were reported to be offered in the offseason. Furthermore, had he only wanted to get the best deal possible, he would've made an obligatory call to the other teams that had previously inquired to see if they'd match the offer. Brown did no such thing. Not even a simple phone call.

Maualuga needs to improve, and right now he is a weakness in the middle, but it was his first year back in the middle, and hopefully if he can rededicate himself to being as good as he was at USC, that can at least be average to above average at that position next year.

Maualuga's played MLB all his career. You don't just forget a position nor the instincts to play that position just because you played elsewhere for 2 years. There's no "rededicating" left to do. No relearning to do. To suggest otherwise would be very Hobson-like homerism.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure.

"Granted, I would take Joseph any day over Clements, and he should have opened up his wallet for him, but he was already opening up his wallet to Hall."

Hall was not signed to an extension until AFTER we lost Joseph. Only after we lost Joseph did Mike open up his wallet to lock Hall up before he too hit the markets. To say Brown didn't open up his wallet to Joseph because he was already for Hall is an outright lie and is something only Hobson would suggest.

You don't think Brown had already decided that Leon Hall was going to get an extension? I think Brown was more interested in locking up Hall than Joseph for the price tag in which Hall got. IT was Hall #1, Joseph #2, but Joseph's contract came due first. Therefore, he had to offer him something first and Joseph didn't bite because Brown didn't offer as much guaranteed money as the Texans.

"Has he not improved this team over the last couple of years....opening up his wallet a little bit in FA."

Another Hobson-like twist/lie. Even 2 seasons ago, he went out and sought the bum that was Antonio Bryant, and when that didn't work out, he let TO hang out there until a week into training camp when Brown could lowball him very well knowing we needed a receiver in the worst way. "Lucky" for Brown, no other team wanted him. Essentially, Brown didn't care if he lost TO to another team or not, he only cared about getting him as cheap as possible if he were going to. And not to mention the last 3 receivers he's sought in Coles, Bryant, and TO were players no other team wanted assuring Brown they could be had for cheap. And these guys too were replacements for TJ and Henry, so it isn't as if this is money that wouldn't have been spent otherwise on guys who were already here.

He spent 28 million to sign Bryant, and even though it only cost him 7.5 million, it was for 4 hours of practice. TO then cost another 3-4 million didn't he? He basically spent 10+ million for that year on a WR. Did he spend the money wisely, I would say not, but it is not like he was unwilling to spend money, he just hasn't learned how to spend big bucks in free agency properly (which is probably why he is gun shy too), because usually the risk is greater than the reward. We went out and got Clements, Lawson, Howard, in free agency. I would not call any of those blockbusters, but they were good signings for this team this past offseason.

Has he not improved this team over the last couple of years...waiting out the Palmer debacle to get what he wanted price wise.

Another Hobson-like twist/lie. Brown was intent on letting Carson sit the entire year had his "family ties" (we all know that's all he cares about) not kicked in with Hue requesting Carson's services. Brown would not have done it for anyone else. And he showed that with the several similar offers that were reported to be offered in the offseason. Furthermore, had he only wanted to get the best deal possible, he would've made an obligatory call to the other teams that had previously inquired to see if they'd match the offer. Brown did no such thing. Not even a simple phone call.

Brown feels that Palmer is a franchise QB, and he agreed to a contract. He was willing to let Palmer rot if he didn't get the price he wanted. He got a 1st and 2nd guaranteed, with a chance for two firsts. There was nobody in the offseason even wanting to give us a 1st really, maybe somebody a lower 1st like the Seahawks or whoever, but no one offered multiple picks with a 1st rounder being the pick.

If Peyton Manning gets traded at 30+ years old...you think he is fetching less than a 1st and a conditional second pick? Hell no. Am I saying Palmer was a Peyton Manning? Hell no. But Brown felt he was a franchise QB, and you do not surrender a franchise QB for less than market value even if the QB is throwing a temper tantrum and refusing to play for you. Someone finally offered Brown worthy compensation, and he took it. Was it scary for us fans and the franchise for Brown to take that stand? Yes. But since he gave into Palmer's demands, he is letting players know...if you want to throw a tantrum, and sit out and demand trades, you can go, but you had better damn well be able to have your trading team offer street value for you even if you are deflating your value by throwing a tantrum. Want traded and refuse to play for us, fine, but be prepared to sit out forever if the team does not get expected value in return.

1) You have no idea if Brown made any calls or not, that is complete speculations, and 2) he does not owe anyone else a call that showed interest in Palmer in the offseason when they started their offers with such low ball offers. We will give you a 2nd round pick down in the mid 20's for him. Uhh yeah, sure. Mike is like get bent F'er.

Maualuga's played MLB all his career. You don't just forget a position nor the instincts to play that position just because you played elsewhere for 2 years. There's no "rededicating" left to do. No relearning to do. To suggest otherwise would be very Hobson-like homerism.

Middle linebacker can be different from team to team, along with the calls, signals, reads, assignments, etc. I already admitted Rey was not great, and needs to improve a lot more next year, but it was also his first year running the defense, a defense which by the way finished 6th or somethign like that in the league. Not bad. A lot of other middle linebackers can't say they called the plays on the field for a top 6 defense, can they? He needs to get better, for sure, but another year, an actual offseason to prepare as the MLB in camps, could help improve his reaction and read times while playing that position.

Once again, you can't tell your head from your ass.

Topic 1) How are you sure that Brown was not interested in Hall more than he was Joseph and had intended on offering Hall so much money regardless of whether Joseph walked or stayed? Answer: You have no fucking clue.

Topic 2) What makes you think Mike Brown doesn't want to win enough that he is afraid to improve the team in fear of having to pay money? He spends money, just not wisely all the time, and like a smart business man, he realizes that a majority of the time, FA is a larger risk than reward on the upper contracts. Answer: Yet again, you putting words in Mike Browns mouth that you yourself have no idea what he is thinking.

Topic 3) Why should we have sold Palmer for peanuts when Brown felt he was a franchise QB? Should we just let Palmer railroad his way out of town like a little girl throwing a tantrum until she gets what she wants just because we are afraid of getting npthing for him? Answer: Hell no. You set a bad example by letting that happen, but if you give in to a players demands, then by God at least get preceived value for him, not what the market is suggesting because he is refusing to play for that team anymore.

Topic 4) What makes you think that Maualuga cannot improve from one season to another at a position he is just moving back to after two seasons somewhere else? He had no offseason to get reacquainted with the position, to see the game from that position, etc. Answer: You have no God damned idea again. You are placing YOUR opinion here and calling me a f'n liar.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and Rey M. is a disgrace. He stinks. There's no helping that bum. He's useless. I'd rather see Dan Skuta there.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and Rey M. is a disgrace. He stinks. There's no helping that bum. He's useless. I'd rather see Dan Skuta there.

I disagree. I think Rey has potential. He needs to learn to shed blockers a little better. I think he is built better for a 3-4 defense as one of the MLB, where he has three big mother F'ers in front of him occupying blockers and he can run to his lanes and sideline to sideline.

However, I think he will be just fine as long as he keeps getting better. If he is not any better next year, then I am prepared to spend a top pick on another MLB, but right now we have other needs much more important than MLB.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should see him on our Reds board....yikes.

Because I think the Reds should hold the core of Votto, Bruce, Phillips, Cueto and Latos together for beyond 2014?

Reds are a top 5 offense in the NL with Votto (no matter who else is in the lineup), without him, we settle probably damn near the bottom of the league.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. I think Rey has potential. He needs to learn to shed blockers a little better. I think he is built better for a 3-4 defense as one of the MLB, where he has three big mother F'ers in front of him occupying blockers and he can run to his lanes and sideline to sideline.

However, I think he will be just fine as long as he keeps getting better. If he is not any better next year, then I am prepared to spend a top pick on another MLB, but right now we have other needs much more important than MLB.

This wouldn't work.... Most people feel that in a 3-4, the middle linebackers are going to be expected to see 'less' free lanes - Not more. This was the problem Ray Lewis had years ago when the Ravens were going to switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4. He grew accustomed to having the big boys - Sam Adams and Goose - taking up linemen allowing him to roam free. If anything, this would magnify Rey's inability to shed a block and make a tackle.

Also, Rey has never played a 3-4. Why would you want him to learn something new now. It's clear he struggles enough with a defense he's been running most of his life.

He's overrated. It's almost sickening. I went to that last game and the crowd cheered like he was an all-pro when he was announced.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This wouldn't work.... Most people feel that in a 3-4, the middle linebackers are going to be expected to see 'less' free lanes - Not more. This was the problem Ray Lewis had years ago when the Ravens were going to switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4. He grew accustomed to having the big boys - Sam Adams and Goose - taking up linemen allowing him to roam free. If anything, this would magnify Rey's inability to shed a block and make a tackle.

Also, Rey has never played a 3-4. Why would you want him to learn something new now. It's clear he struggles enough with a defense he's been running most of his life.

He's overrated. It's almost sickening. I went to that last game and the crowd cheered like he was an all-pro when he was announced.

I didn't say I want him to learn somethign new, I said I think he would be better suited for a 3-4, where the DE's are not rushing, along with Atkins in our line, where more run blockers are freed up to penetrate to the second level where Rey is. A big ass line of 3 guys around 305, 345, 310 in front of him who are not rushing as much as taking up more blockers would enable him to stay more clear of on coming blockers, especially from the line. When an offensive lineman gets to Rey, he gets swallowed it seems like. Keep those specific guys off him and force and TE or FB to block him he can manage.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say I want him to learn somethign new, I said I think he would be better suited for a 3-4, where the DE's are not rushing, along with Atkins in our line, where more run blockers are freed up to penetrate to the second level where Rey is. A big ass line of 3 guys around 305, 345, 310 in front of him who are not rushing as much as taking up more blockers would enable him to stay more clear of on coming blockers, especially from the line. When an offensive lineman gets to Rey, he gets swallowed it seems like. Keep those specific guys off him and force and TE or FB to block him he can manage.

That's just it though -- If he played in a 3-4 he would see more guards. This was Ray Lewis problem with the 3-4.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because I think the Reds should hold the core of Votto, Bruce, Phillips, Cueto and Latos together for beyond 2014?

Reds are a top 5 offense in the NL with Votto (no matter who else is in the lineup), without him, we settle probably damn near the bottom of the league.

No, that's not what you said. You said they can keep them together...which they obviously can't. Votto is gone. BP is gone. Madson is gone. They're already gone. Enjoy them this year. If they perform as expected they'll all get paid more than we can afford. It is what it is.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, that's not what you said. You said they can keep them together...which they obviously can't. Votto is gone. BP is gone. Madson is gone. They're already gone. Enjoy them this year. If they perform as expected they'll all get paid more than we can afford. It is what it is.

And you said on the Reds board that if 2 of teh 5 are even on the team come 2014, you would eat your hat.

Bruce and Cueto are both signed through 2014, and Latos is under team control through 2015.

So as I said, prepare to eat your hat. Votto has not gone anywhere yet, they are negotiating a contyract extension with Phillips now, and Madson was signed this year with a mutal option for 2013 for 11 million, including a 2.5 million buyout, with deferred money.

I don't think Votto is going to sign here guaranteed, but management said tehy are going to do everything they can to make sure he is a Red for a very long time. We will see how that works out.