• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Don't expect much from Ogbuehi this year and you won't be disappointed.

Kingspoint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2010, when Luke Joeckel, Jake Matthews and Cedric Ogbuehi were all highly touted incoming Freshman Left Tackles for Texas A&M, it was anybody's guess who would win the job.

Well, Joeckel won the Starting LT job, Matthews won the Starting RT job, and Ogbuehi won himself a red-shirt.

Joeckel went on to leave A&M after his Junior year and was the #2 overall pick in the 2013 draft. He's been a major disappointment for the Jaguars, who finally signed his LT replacement this off-season, and will give him one more year to prove himself, most likely as a RT on their line. His pass-protection has been horrible since Day 1. And, he's had a great Defensive Coach as his HC the last three years.

Jake Matthews took over as LT at A&M in 2013, and left after his Senior season having had one year at LT and three years at RT as the #6 overall pick in the 2014 draft. His first year at Atlanta, he played RT as he wasn't ready for LT. He wasn't ready for RT, either, as he was rated dead last among all RT's (and LT's, if you count their grades, too) after nine weeks. But, he began to show signs of growth, and so he was move to LT in 2015, where he responded positively, rating 8th among LT's after nine weeks. Don't know where he finished, but based on his trend, on the positive side.

Ogbuehi, didn't start at LT or RT his first three years at A&M. In his 4th year, in 2013, he started at RT, where he struggled at pass-protection. In 2014, he took over at LT, but only played half of a season as he had a major injury. He also came with some maturity baggage, and he dropped in the draft all the way to the Bengals, who fell in love with his physical attributes. If there's one thing the Bengals are great at, it's developing Offensive Tackles, so the gamble, passing on so many really good players to take a guy who wouldn't begin his career until the end of his rookie season at best, missing his first training camp and OTA's, and thus all of the basics a Rookie needs to know when drafted in the NFL, raised a serious question mark on the Bengals choice as Cedric Ogbuehi as their 1st Round pick.

Smartly, they resigned Whitworth to two more years. Versatile Jake Fisher fell in their lap as insurance in case the injury took to long to heal. But, to Ogbuehi's credit, he recovered from his injury in a timely manner and got on the field in 2015, paving the way for the team to pencil him in as the Starter in 2016.

But, here's the thing. With the total disappointment of Luke Joeckel, and the slow learning curve of Jake Matthews, how long is it going to take Ogbuehi, a 5-year College player with a washed out Rookie season, to ramp up to competently man the Right Side of the line. He's expected to only spend one year there, just as Jake Matthews did, and then kick over to LT and replace Whitworth in 2018.

I'm not going to place unrealistic expectations on Ogbuehi. I don't think they are good teachers of Tackles at A&M. The learning will have to come here, of which there is not much better in the league when it comes to OT's.

Kingspoint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The above post was supposed to say, "replace Whitworth in 2017", but I hit the wrong key.

......what do you have to do around here to get more than 10 minutes to edit a post?

Kingspoint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dalton will do his part by being among the Top-3 for the 5th year in a row in getting rid of the ball from snap to release. With Peyton gone, Dalton could easily lead the league in that department.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or he could lead the league in tackles by a QB leading to a perfectly avoidable injury.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you can compare like that. I understand why you'd do that, but you can't say, well this guy beat out this guy in college, and he failed at the NFL level, so this guy will too.

If that were the case, then guys like Tom Brady and others would never have been heard from.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's in a good situation. We re-signed Winston and he'll be a nice insurance policy if Cedric O doesn't work out. I imagine Fisher could be given a look at RT as well.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're going to see an open competition at RT between OB and Fischer.

Kingspoint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9d46fed6fe078cf669706104e15970ba.jpg

Fischer?

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dalton will do his part by being among the Top-3 for the 5th year in a row in getting rid of the ball from snap to release. With Peyton gone, Dalton could easily lead the league in that department.

Shouldn't be difficult. When teams double AJ and not having another WR, he's going to be letting plays develop and throwing downfield.

Dalton is going to struggle significantly since management has decided we're better off without Jones and Sanu and don't need to replace them with anyone.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shouldn't be difficult. When teams double AJ and not having another WR, he's going to be letting plays develop and throwing downfield.

Dalton is going to struggle significantly since management has decided we're better off without Jones and Sanu and don't need to replace them with anyone.
Except, they did offer Jones enough money to stay. He even said so. Jones said it came down to the chance to be a #1 guy, and that was something that clearly was not going to happen here no matter how much you pay him, it's not changing.

As for Sanu....he was 5th or 6th in receptions. I like the guy, but when he had his chance to shine in 2014 his dropped the ball...quite literally.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except, they did offer Jones enough money to stay. He even said so. Jones said it came down to the chance to be a #1 guy, and that was something that clearly was not going to happen here no matter how much you pay him, it's not changing.

As for Sanu....he was 5th or 6th in receptions. I like the guy, but when he had his chance to shine in 2014 his dropped the ball...quite literally.
So would you say we're in a better place goin into this season that last? Does a compensatory pick make up for losing them? What are we saving money for? It's not like we're going to go out and sign any outside FAs.

It's a loser mentality. We we're close last year, and we're going to go into this season with a team that's worse than last years, not better.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So would you say we're in a better place goin into this season that last? Does a compensatory pick make up for losing them? What are we saving money for? It's not like we're going to go out and sign any outside FAs.

It's a loser mentality. We we're close last year, and we're going to go into this season with a team that's worse than last years, not better.
We didn't win a playoff game with them, I'm pretty sure we can not win one without them.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We didn't win a playoff game with them, I'm pretty sure we can not win one without them.

Yeah..I'm sure that had nothing to do with us not having our starting QB.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure the back up qb put the team in position to win, when the overhyped running back returned to his fumbling ways, and our vaunted defense gave them 30 free penalty yards.

try again

Kingspoint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guenther should improve in his 3rd season, even with the losses of Hall and Nelson.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure the back up qb put the team in position to win, when the overhyped running back returned to his fumbling ways, and our vaunted defense gave them 30 free penalty yards.

try again

You're blaming our loss on 2 plays?

Makes complete sense.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're blaming our loss on 2 plays?

Makes complete sense.

I think blaming the loss on those 2 plays that actually happened makes a ton more sense than blaming the loss on a the hypothetical "what if" of a guy who didn't play, and has a history of not playing well is said situations.

But I'm weird like that

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Except you're conveniently leaving out the fact that they did offer him money to stay. Good money. Around 8+MM. He got slightly more in Detroit (9+MM). He said the offer was very good from the Bengals. That came from Jones himself. He also said that he wanted a chance to be a #1 guy on a team. That was the final decision maker for him. You keep blaming the team for not retaining him, but you don't accept the fact that, ultimately, he left due to more opportunity on another team not for being paid too little. What do you want the team to do? Trade AJ? Eifert? Tell Andy he has to target Jones as a #1 target in games going forward?

I get the rhetoric on this team not paying for players, but in this instance, they did. They ponied up big money for guys like Jones, Iloka, Rey, etc. You simply can't pay everyone, and yet the Bengals DID try to sign each of those guys with offers that were more than fair. If Jones really wanted to stay here a lousy 1MM wasn't going to prevent that. Especially considering he knows he'll likely never see the end of his deal in DET, where as in Cincinnati, he knows he'll get every last dollar. In the long run, he knows that the contract in Cincinnati would be worth slightly more, but wanted more opportunity to flourish.

But, keep bangin' that drum that the Bengals didn't pay him enough to stay.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is laughable.

AJ had this team in position to win the game. Period. He didn't play great, but he did play well enough.

Hill fumbled away the game, and then Jones and Burfict allowed the steelers to come in and get into FG range.

Maybe you saw it, but I didn't. Was AJ out there playing defense or fumbling the ball? Maybe I just missed it.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except you're conveniently leaving out the fact that they did offer him money to stay. Good money. Around 8+MM. He got slightly more in Detroit (9+MM). He said the offer was very good from the Bengals. That came from Jones himself. He also said that he wanted a chance to be a #1 guy on a team. That was the final decision maker for him. You keep blaming the team for not retaining him, but you don't accept the fact that, ultimately, he left due to more opportunity on another team not for being paid too little. What do you want the team to do? Trade AJ? Eifert? Tell Andy he has to target Jones as a #1 target in games going forward?

I get the rhetoric on this team not paying for players, but in this instance, they did. They ponied up big money for guys like Jones, Iloka, Rey, etc. You simply can't pay everyone, and yet the Bengals DID try to sign each of those guys with offers that were more than fair. If Jones really wanted to stay here a lousy 1MM wasn't going to prevent that. Especially considering he knows he'll likely never see the end of his deal in DET, where as in Cincinnati, he knows he'll get every last dollar. In the long run, he knows that the contract in Cincinnati would be worth slightly more, but wanted more opportunity to flourish.

But, keep bangin' that drum that the Bengals didn't pay him enough to stay.

In your very long-winded answer, I see you convienently didn't answer my initial question.