• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Don Carey signed for 3 more years

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it is easier to sign a guy who did mediocre because you know what you get.

WHy we keep guys who will never have a chance to turn into a 16 game starter is beyond me. Yes you need backups, but by keeping guys like the Careys around you never find a Waddle who may pan out. I am sure Broyles will be in camp. Why? Move on, cut ties! This coming year should be make or break for Bentley, Green and Greenwood.

Look at teams with success. They have the cut throat mentality.

they also know when to hold on to solid reserves for a good price. No team has all stars up and down their roster and on their bench. Teams need players like Carey. We aren't going with a 4 million/year backup safety who is top 10 in the NFL. But when you have the chance to sign a versitile player, who has proven to play solid in a reserve role when called upon, you do it.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a lot of people on here who want another CB. I cant justify spending yet another pick on a CB. I can certainly get on board with brining in DRC though. If that means Slay, or even Houston for that matter, ends up in the nickel spot then so be it.

See this what I am trying to say. I do not want another CB picked either. Houston has big contract and will be here. Bring in DRC, another big contract and put Houston in nickel? It solidifies the CB position this year. Then next year we have same dicussion on how Green and Bentley did not have a chance to show their worth. When do you find out?

DO like the Greenwood at S though.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greenwood at safety makes a lot of sense. Carey getting a deal to be a backup at four spots doesn't.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they also know when to hold on to solid reserves for a good price. No team has all stars up and down their roster and on their bench. Teams need players like Carey. We aren't going with a 4 million/year backup safety who is top 10 in the NFL. But when you have the chance to sign a versitile player, who has proven to play solid in a reserve role when called upon, you do it.

This the same group that paid Wendling over 900K a year for 10,20, and 23 tackles. Carey a solid reserve yes. Why sign him to 3 years? Give him a one year deal.

Kreton you missed the boat. Never said wanted stars up and down. They just settled on Carey. I am guessing come March 11th teams would be knocking down his doors to be on their team. These guys like Carey need to be pushing starters for their roster spots. Competition creates stronger play!!! You think Delmas gives a shit of job security when starters see journeymen beside them.(sure you think Delmas is stud after INT and a hard hit in Vikings game. Never watching the 4 miss tackles on 3rd sting RB because he can't tackle) Ashlee Palmer needs to be pushing for a starting role. That makes Levy play harder. Palmer will never threaten that spot. They will settle on Palmer and resign him because he is a solid reserve.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Carey is better than most of you are giving him credit for. At least from what I saw this year (and I did not miss a game except the last one). He really does seem to do well in the 3 safety defense which I think may become more popular with teams going forward.

Wendling on the other hand is a waste of space in my opinion. Barely even noticed him on special teams the last 2 years and quite possibly the worst defensive player I have ever seen. Ever.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just maybe this is a move to provide insurance in case Delmas won't take a pay cut.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greenwood at safety makes a lot of sense. Carey getting a deal to be a backup at four spots doesn't.

Trying Greenwood at safety does. Maybe he is the new Carey for cheaper. Carey getting a deal to backup 4 spots does also. Carey never being able to push said four guys for their job is part I don't like about him. He is solid reserve. Let me see the numbers on contract and maybe this is all for not. Nowing Lewand and Mayhew he got over paid.

I believe you said Stafford doesn't care because Hill can't replace him. Not saying I want Mcnown... no this first. Bring him in see what happens to Staffords mindset on working with QB guru.

Ravoli suddenly playing well in year 13. Why? Needs new contract. Never got pushed, never felt threatened.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ravoli suddenly playing well in year 13. Why? Needs new contract. Never got pushed, never felt threatened.
:agree:

Competition breeds success, Lions rely on complacency

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Competition most definitely breeds success. From what I've seen in other franchises anyway.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were the Lions, were pretty much fucked anyway.....

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Carey starts at safety were pretty much fucked.

I was thinking they would draft someone and Carey would still be the third guy. If Delmas won't accept what he's worth, the Lions still need depth.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trying Greenwood at safety does. Maybe he is the new Carey for cheaper. Carey getting a deal to backup 4 spots does also. Carey never being able to push said four guys for their job is part I don't like about him. He is solid reserve. Let me see the numbers on contract and maybe this is all for not. Nowing Lewand and Mayhew he got over paid.

I believe you said Stafford doesn't care because Hill can't replace him. Not saying I want Mcnown... no this first. Bring him in see what happens to Staffords mindset on working with QB guru.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Raiola also had to cover Peterman's sorry ass excuse for a RG. Putting on 20 lbs of extra weight in the offseason seemed to help him from being pushed around excessively from the DT's. He's worth another 1 year contract just like the one he signed last year. Draft a Center this year but not until the 4th rd. at the earliest. Centers are not valued that high in Any draft as a whole, unless your Jerry Jones. Someone in here stated drafting one in the 2nd. There is not a Center worthy of such a high draft pick this year, not even Travis Swanson (ARK), who is a 4 year starter. FSU-Stork, CSU-Richburg, UTS-Larsen or OKL.-Ikard can be had beginning in the 4th rd. if not in the 6th round. Mayhew would be wasting money AGAIN, if he were to sign a FA like Alex Mack or any other for that matter. Raiola was the 2nd rated Center this year by Pro Football Focus and having Warford next to him surely made a huge difference.

In regards to all the CB's drafted these last 2 years (2012 Bentley, Green, Greenwood, Slay in 2013), it can take 2-3 years for them to get acclimated in the NFL before you know what you have. Be patient and let them learn. Mayhew should bring back Mathis (depending on new HC/DC hired) as he played well and can provide leadership/mentoring . Houston's contract is so big that he's here until the end of 2015, regardless of how much he sucked this past year. It is too costly to try to dump these players. Greenwood has the perfect frame for transitioning to a FS given time. Dump Delmas and his 6.5 million contract (1 million in dead money) and Draft one this year who has big time potential (Ahmad Dixon-Baylor, Deonne Bucannon-Wash St., Ed Reynolds-Stanford, Dion Bailey-USC) in the 3rd round. I agree with you, GandyDancer, in that bringing in another high priced FA CB (DRC) only stalls the progression of the others.

Don Carey signed an extension early on during the 2013 season and was kept under wraps until now. He is more than worthy of an extension, for now, as he can play four positions when called upon. There are not many DB's that can even though he's not starter quality.

We need to get away from any high-priced FA signings for the mere fact that Suh, Stafford and Megatron make up more than 40% of our cap hit. Even getting extensions for some players just pushes back the inevitable, This team is broke because of stupid Moves/signings by Mayhew. Suh is worthy of extending and Stafford is receiving the going rate for 2nd contract QB's with his potential.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BigLar, could you give me an update on your offseason, please?

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears as if he's going through finger strengthening exercises.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BigLar, could you give me an update on your offseason, please?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

555 :laugh3:

novel or short story version ?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

555 :laugh3:

novel or short story version ?

Either. (I was talkin to my old roommate Pok the other day. He's back in Thailand pimpin out Landrovers. Can't get any work done on account of all the hot chicks. Not sure why he moved home to deal with the headache. It's prolly the kickboxing.)

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carey was signed as a backup not a starter, not a bad idea to retain him as long as its a backup situation or nickle

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He looks better because the guys on esch side of him dont suck complete donkey balls anymore.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either. (I was talkin to my old roommate Pok the other day. He's back in Thailand pimpin out Landrovers. Can't get any work done on account of all the hot chicks. Not sure why he moved home to deal with the headache. It's prolly the kickboxing.)

_____________________________________________________________________________________
It's been 31 years since I have been in Bangkok but I remember, ALL the hot ladies, like it was yesterday. Man, I can't blame him for moving back one bit. Headaches (both kinds) or not. Yeah, sure you'll go with the kickboxing... I'll go with the ladies and what's in the tropical forests and hillsides... :10: