• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Does Winning 10 Games Make One Relevant On the Big Stage Anymore?

Does winning 10 games on the 'ENTIRE' season make a team relevant on the big stage?

• YES. They were among the elite.

• NO. They were irrelevant on the big stage.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well for your multiple years, as has already been discussed, no one really considers Wisconsin to be elite but they have been a very solid team the last eight years with six years of 10+ wins.

They also have a couple 11 and 12 win seasons in there too.

Relevant for sure, just haven't been able to get over the 'elite' hump.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, post here if your team has 46 9+ win seasons, which is the most important stat for consistency.

Oklahoma Checking in.

Who else.

314ty3.jpg

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well for your multiple years, as has already been discussed, no one really considers Wisconsin to be elite but they have been a very solid team the last eight years with six years of 10+ wins.

I figured it has been discussed every which way and the only thing I had posted since then are stats, where you can determine them how you want.

I do think Wisconsin would be an elite team in past eight seasons. How many teams did what they have done in the same time frame? I bet almost all of them would be considered elite. Many teams have a lot of talent and still go 9 wins with a weak schedule. Weather, injuries, upsets, off-field issues, and other factors can contribute that teams with 10+wins overcome.

I bet in 15 years from now, Wisconsin fans will look back and think "That was a fun time to be a Badger fan." I think that about 2002-05 Iowa.

Elite teams are not worried about the other team overlooking them. 8-9 win teams worry about 10+ win teams overlook them. 8-9 win teams could beat anybody but also could lose to the worst of teams.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am surprised it is that high. Ferentz and Fry have 8 combined. Iowa has under 30 wins in the 1970s (5 wins would have been a good season I guess). Iowa was good in the 60s (era of Iowa's only NC) but they didn't play 10-game seasons very often. Howard Jones in the 1920s had 2 back-to-back seasons of 7-0. The 1939 Ironman team with Nile Kinnick had 8 games that season.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured it has been discussed every which way and the only thing I had posted since then are stats, where you can determine them how you want.

I do think Wisconsin would be an elite team in past eight seasons. How many teams did what they have done in the same time frame? I bet almost all of them would be considered elite. Many teams have a lot of talent and still go 9 wins with a weak schedule. Weather, injuries, upsets, off-field issues, and other factors can contribute that teams with 10+wins overcome.

I bet in 15 years from now, Wisconsin fans will look back and think "That was a fun time to be a Badger fan." I think that about 2002-05 Iowa.

Elite teams are not worried about the other team overlooking them. 8-9 win teams worry about 10+ win teams overlook them. 8-9 win teams could beat anybody but also could lose to the worst of teams.
I’m pretty sure that most, if not all teams, that have compiled wins to the same level as Wisconsin has over the last 8 seasons are considered “elite”. But Wisconsin to most college football fans is not considered to be one of the “elites”. So there has to be something else other than compiling a gaudy win percentage as to what an “elite” team is.

Division titles (which they have 5 of since 2010), Conference championships (which they have 3 of since 2010), playoff births (0) and Natties (0) are all things that are going to be put into the equation. Winning your biggest games is another thing that people look at things that both Wisconsin and Michigan teams have had major issues with over the past five years.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m pretty sure that most, if not all teams, that have compiled wins to the same level as Wisconsin has over the last 8 seasons are considered “elite”. But Wisconsin to most college football fans is not considered to be one of the “elites”. So there has to be something else other than compiling a gaudy win percentage as to what an “elite” team is.

Division titles (which they have 5 of since 2010), Conference championships (which they have 3 of since 2010), playoff births (0) and Natties (0) are all things that are going to be put into the equation. Winning your biggest games is another thing that people look at things that both Wisconsin and Michigan teams have had major issues with over the past five years.

IMO, those two are arguments for the greatest team. If those who think "elite" are all who have an argument for the greatest, then yes. But that is not how I look at it. I think a team can be elite but not necessarily one of the best. And in multiple seasons, consistent 10-win seasons are tough, even with easy SOS.

One season, I do have different take on it.

Hard2Bluff

Beer Consumer
Hoopla Cash
$ 263.81
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suck it Penn state. 10 wins!

upload_2019-5-16_18-56-7.jpeg

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's the (8-6) in 2012, the (9-4) in 2013, the (8-5) in 2018 that keeps them out of elite status.

Other than those 3 years out of the last 10, they've had two 10 win seasons, four 11 win seasons, and one 13 win season.

They are probably the most relevant team out there that hasn't gotten into the elite club.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the (8-6) in 2012, the (9-4) in 2013, the (8-5) in 2018 that keeps them out of elite status.

Other than those 3 years out of the last 10, they've had two 10 win seasons, four 11 win seasons, and one 13 win season.

They are probably the most relevant team out there that hasn't gotten into the elite club.

With Wisconsin, it's a matter of doing the best with the least. I'm not sure how they could have done much better with their recruiting history. Perhaps the Class of 2019 is a harbinger of making the jump to elite.