• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Does the NFL Create Peyton Manning Hype?

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Consider this: The Oakland Raiders are coming off a 4-12 season
It's been 10 years since the Raiders have had a winning record.

So... the NFL (or is it the TV Networks) showcase the Raiders ON THE ROAD in Denver on a NationaL Monday Night Telecast. Is this a matchup or simply part of the Peyton Manning hype machine?

Imagine if the NFL served up Jax AT Houston on Monday Night Football. You'd scratch your head and think WTF?"

Well there is a lot more history to Denver/Oakland than there is to Jacksonville/Houston. It seems we play the Raiders on Monday night about every year, and I believe they've matched up on Monday night more than any other teams.

That said, it is a rather curious decision; seems like they could have picked a better game.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL will fluff Peyton for every bit of ratings they can! I would not be surprised if his face is on the coin they flip before kick off!

But what do you expect. The league can't hype RG3 he blows this season. They tried like hell to hype Vick and Kelly in Philly but they are falling flat. So lets trot out Peyton and his remarkable combeack from neck surgery...lets just dust off last years hype though.

The league is so fucking predictable!

All teams get 1 prime time game and the only way to get people to watch them would be pair them with Peyton Mannings oh I mean Broncos.

The same way I was about to vomit if I had to see one more story on how Archie and Olivia hate when their boys play against each other!

So as long as the Broncos are winning they will be the NFL's rating machine.

Oh and Brady still has more rings....:lol:

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hype? yes, but deserved hype.

Manning is a star among stars.....but us fans of other teams can still throw the fact that tebow has more playoff w's in denver then manning when bronco fans get too big for their britches.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The same way I was about to vomit if I had to see one more story on how Archie and Olivia hate when their boys play against each other!

:lol:

I thought the "Jack and Jackie Harbaugh" saga crammed down our throats was even more revolting but can you even imagine if the Patriots had been relevant the last couple of seasons how many "the courage of Myra Kraft" or "Bob and Myra Kraft's eternal love" stories would have been featured? :puke:

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it's hype and the league promotes it. What the hell are they supposed to do? They are selling a product and use their assets to increase sales. No different than a salesman on a car lot trying to up sell you to the Mercedes over a Ford. The hype gets annoying but this is how you sell product. I work in the plumbing and heating business. We "hype" the high end products, especially on the heating side. It is what it is.

LOL Obviously the right answer to the simple question asked in the thread title, yet it's not even acknowledged. Curious? Not at all.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol:

I thought the "Jack and Jackie Harbaugh" saga crammed down our throats was even more revolting but can you even imagine if the Patriots had been relevant the last couple of seasons how many "the courage of Myra Kraft" or "Bob and Myra Kraft's eternal love" stories would have been featured? :puke:

OK you got me on the Bob and Myra shit.

But the NF is just waiting for Eli to turn it around he can win comeback player of the year for hitting rock bottom and coming back all in one year.....

The Mannings are the NFL version of the fucking Kennedys in politics!

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the beginning of the year (without the benefit of 3 2013 games), I would have said.
Cowboys, Redskins, Colts, or Texans.

(Patriots and Baltimore are/were already prime time games)

I like when they mix it up, hate seeing the same teams.

But usually the best or most popular teans at the time at in primetime...Cowboys every year...I woupd rather not see Dallas---talk about a hype machine

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Show me a post where I have talked about Brady. Try to deal in facts.

they have Brady going against the Panthers on MNF, do you like that game better?

the facts are that putting the Broncos v the Raiders was a boring matchup. I could have easily watched the game, but I didn't because of this reason. Had the Broncos gotten a good match up, I would have watched it, but they didn't and I didn't. so not sure how you think giving the Broncos a boring matchup encouraged people to watch Peyton

also, if the league wanted to hype Peyton, why not give him two MNFs? I wish it was only good QBs choosen for MNF. here are the teams that got MNFs this year, I wish Peyton, Brady and Rodgers had more...

2 - Chargers, Dolphins, Redskins, Saints, Seahawks, Bears, Falcons, 49ers

1 - Eagles, Texans, Bengals, Steelers, Broncos, Raiders, Jets, Colts, Vikings, Giants, Rams, Packers, Bucs, Patriots, Panthers, Cowboys, Ravens, Lions

0 - Jags, Bills, Browns, Titans, Chiefs, Cards

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the NFL creates the hype, the media creates they hype. But it goes both ways. Come playoff time they'll be discussing his NFL record 8 one-and-dones and his chance to set the NFL record for playoff losses.

You can't argue his regular season success though. He's simply awesome.

Bunkamania

ESPN Defector
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hardcore football fans will watch any game. They need to place high profile players in these prime time match ups and hope for lots of points for the average fan to be interested.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hardcore football fans will watch any game. They need to place high profile players in these prime time match ups and hope for lots of points for the average fan to be interested.

Agreed, plus with flex scheduling the Sunday Night games have become known more for being the game of the week after week 8.

Miami vs New Orleans is looking pretty good though. Who would've known?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston at SD was a good game to watch for everyone but Charger fans.

:L

But as a matchup in advance, it was shitty.

No one wants to watch the chargers.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Consider this: The Oakland Raiders are coming off a 4-12 season
It's been 10 years since the Raiders have had a winning record.

So... the NFL (or is it the TV Networks) showcase the Raiders ON THE ROAD in Denver on a NationaL Monday Night Telecast. Is this a matchup or simply part of the Peyton Manning hype machine?

Imagine if the NFL served up Jax AT Houston on Monday Night Football. You'd scratch your head and think WTF?"

Not nearly on the level of the NBA, but the NFL knows that star QBs drive ratings. Right now the league has a handful of QBs that are already HOF players. P. Manning is one of them so it matters little about who they are playing this early in the season imo...it was a chance to showcase one of those guys in what used to be a tough DIV game.

RonBorges

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they have Brady going against the Panthers on MNF, do you like that game better?

No. That matchup sucks too for national TV, but I would never take an opponent for granted.

RonBorges

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are simple questions with simple answers.

Yes, the league does promote Peyton Manning. Manning i the s product and the NFL would be stupid not to promote him.

Yes, Raiders/Broncos was a terrible match-up designed to give Manning and the Broncos an overwhelmming advantage on a nationally televised game.

Not only does the NFL want you to see Manning, they want you to see Manning win.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not nearly on the level of the NBA, but the NFL knows that star QBs drive ratings. Right now the league has a handful of QBs that are already HOF players. P. Manning is one of them so it matters little about who they are playing this early in the season imo...it was a chance to showcase one of those guys in what used to be a tough DIV game.

It does boil down to Peyton Manning plus this being the most played match up in Monday Night History. I think honestly it made a lot of sense to schedule this game for the NFL. Obviously they had plenty of viewers and the game actually had quite a bit to offer considering Peyton just broke quite a few records in this last game as did the Bronco offense.

Now does the NFL create the Manning hype? Well of course they are going to showcase one of their best and well known players every chance they get. Manning has everything you would want in a figure head for the NFL. He has the family history of his dad playing, 1st overall pick, clean cut guy that they can know is not going to bring about negative press to the NFL, hard working, and in a way has helped revolutionize the game with his fast paced hurry up offense. The NFL is a good business for a good reason in they are not idiots. They know what to do to increase ticket sales and viewers.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But as a matchup in advance, it was shitty.

No one wants to watch the chargers.

True but don't forget that was the late Monday night game to open the season, so you needed a team in the Mountain or Pacific time zone to host it, plus since it's so late on the East coast it's usually more of a secondary matchup anyway. I suppose you could have put the Seahawks or Niners there, but I'm sure Fox wouldn't have been too happy about losing one of those teams, either. As it stands, for the late night Monday night game, I don't think Texans/Chargers was that bad of a matchup.