• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Does the NFL Create Peyton Manning Hype?

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever since ESPN has taken over MNF the best match ups have always been on SNF

Look at the schedule for this year...Sunday Night Football has

Seahawks-49ers
Pats-Falcons
Broncos-Colts
Packers-Giants
Broncos-Patriots
Texans-49ers
Falcons-Packers

Monday Night Football...

Raiders-Broncos
Jets-Falcons
Dolphins-Bucs
Colts-Chargers
Seahawks-Rams
Pats-Panthers

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True but don't forget that was the late Monday night game to open the season, so you needed a team in the Mountain or Pacific time zone to host it, plus since it's so late on the East coast it's usually more of a secondary matchup anyway. I suppose you could have put the Seahawks or Niners there, but I'm sure Fox wouldn't have been too happy about losing one of those teams, either. As it stands, for the late night Monday night game, I don't think Texans/Chargers was that bad of a matchup.

It's not a prime time worthy matchup. Houston is OK and San Diego is bad.

In the context of discussing putting Peyton on, that was a much, much more appealing matchup to most fans than Houston San Diego.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But as a matchup in advance, it was shitty.

No one wants to watch the chargers.

I want to watch the Chargers in the playoffs. I'm a big fan of watching the Patriots dance on the Chargers logo at midfield....

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does boil down to Peyton Manning plus this being the most played match up in Monday Night History. I think honestly it made a lot of sense to schedule this game for the NFL. Obviously they had plenty of viewers and the game actually had quite a bit to offer considering Peyton just broke quite a few records in this last game as did the Bronco offense.

Now does the NFL create the Manning hype? Well of course they are going to showcase one of their best and well known players every chance they get. Manning has everything you would want in a figure head for the NFL. He has the family history of his dad playing, 1st overall pick, clean cut guy that they can know is not going to bring about negative press to the NFL, hard working, and in a way has helped revolutionize the game with his fast paced hurry up offense. The NFL is a good business for a good reason in they are not idiots. They know what to do to increase ticket sales and viewers.

Create as in manufacture it? Not really...the player (imo in any sport) has to give them something to hype...at least initially (RG3, Kaep, and RW are examples).

To your final point...exactly...they know they have the hardcore fan. Much like Tiger draws the fringe fan in golf, star QBs do the same for the NFL.

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL and associated media hypes up whoever has been having success.

It's a constant bandwagon jump to what ever player just had a good week.

RonBorges

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever since ESPN has taken over MNF the best match ups have always been on SNF

Look at the schedule for this year...Sunday Night Football has

Seahawks-49ers
Pats-Falcons
Broncos-Colts
Packers-Giants
Broncos-Patriots
Texans-49ers
Falcons-Packers

Monday Night Football...

Raiders-Broncos
Jets-Falcons
Dolphins-Bucs
Colts-Chargers
Seahawks-Rams
Pats-Panthers

Excellent Observation! Why is MNF getting the lousy games?

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a prime time worthy matchup. Houston is OK and San Diego is bad.

In the context of discussing putting Peyton on, that was a much, much more appealing matchup to most fans than Houston San Diego.

I agree but again, it's the late Monday night game. Given the difficulty, what game would you have scheduled? The only better option was probably Green Bay at San Francisco, and FOX would have probably pitched a fit if they'd had to give up that game.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Create as in manufacture it? Not really...the player (imo in any sport) has to give them something to hype...at least initially (RG3, Kaep, and RW are examples).

To your final point...exactly...they know they have the hardcore fan. Much like Tiger draws the fringe fan in golf, star QBs do the same for the NFL.

I understand they have to produce in order to bring about that Hype but Manning is one of the few that really came into the league pretty hyped up because of the family history already in the NFL. Now obviously that was helped by actually being successful in the league to continue that hype. Every year we have at least one or two quarterbacks hyped up and at least for their first few games are talked about non-stop. IF they produce those talks continue and if they don't they are talked about a little bit less with each passing game unless it is a catastrophic failure then they talk about it non-stop.

A great example is I hear just about as much about Geno Smith as I do Peyton Manning these days. For a while it was his fall in the draft, then it was his quarterback competition, then it was that he won it, and now it is he has won a couple of games. The guy hasn't been that stellar but because he is a rookie in a major media area he is lifted up beyond what his abilities should actually give him. So there is some media hype involved with some of these players. Manning to the original topic has earned it with his play on the field.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but again, it's the late Monday night game. Given the difficulty, what game would you have scheduled? The only better option was probably Green Bay at San Francisco, and FOX would have probably pitched a fit if they'd had to give up that game.

FOX shouldn't have a say.

phantomfoul88

"Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd much rather watch Denver v Oakland than any of the NFC East crap they throw at us in primetime

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Consider this: The Oakland Raiders are coming off a 4-12 season
It's been 10 years since the Raiders have had a winning record.

So... the NFL (or is it the TV Networks) showcase the Raiders ON THE ROAD in Denver on a NationaL Monday Night Telecast. Is this a matchup or simply part of the Peyton Manning hype machine?

Imagine if the NFL served up Jax AT Houston on Monday Night Football. You'd scratch your head and think WTF?"

Yes, the NFL creates the Manning hype.

They also create the Brady hype.

And the Brees hype.

And the Rodgers hype.

And the Adrian Peterson hype.

It's almost like they're in it for the money, or something.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Peyton Manning is also guilty of creating the Peyton Manning hype. 16 TD's with 0 picks through 4 games. Crazy.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Peyton Manning is also guilty of creating the Peyton Manning hype. 16 TD's with 0 picks through 4 games. Crazy.

"He's not that good." - Morons

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind some of that hype for my team. I think Manning is one of the smartest QBs to have ever been in the league. Think that is what creates the hate for that guy.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN creating Peyton Manning hype?

It couldn't be that he has 73% passing completions (1st) off of the 6th most passing attempts, 1,143 passing yards, 12 TDs (most in NFL history through 4 games), 0 interceptions.

Also, he has been the biggest name QB of his era, right beside Tom Brady.

How dare the media hype this old fart.

Last edited by a moderator:

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN creating Peyton Manning hype?

It couldn't be that he has 73% passing completions (1st) off of the 6th most passing attempts, 1,143 passing yards, 12 TDs (most in NFL history through 4 games), 0 interceptions.

Also, he has been the biggest name QB of his era, right beside Tom Brady.

How dare the media hype this old fart.

Other way around.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's an argument that will have to wait for their careers to be over. The numbers per game for their careers are very similar, and both are in position to meet at least a few more times in the playoffs.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's an argument that will have to wait for their careers to be over. The numbers per game for their careers are very similar, and both are in position to meet at least a few more times in the playoffs.

:agree:

We are all blessed to have been witness to these two great quarterbacks in their prime. I'm a Denver Broncos fan, so I've had plenty of reasons to dislike Brady and Manning over the years. As a football fan, I'm thankful to have seen them both play, regardless of their individual successes.

Peyton Manning may end up going down as the smartest quarterback, while Tom Brady has been the most proficient (so far) in the post season.

Either way, they're both great. It will be sad to see this era end.

MH64

69er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What hype? The guy has looked flawless with suspect arm strength and I get that they've played against some sucky defenses but they are the only offense in the league that look elite.

69er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lame:
:agree:

We are all blessed to have been witness to these two great quarterbacks in their prime. I'm a Denver Broncos fan, so I've had plenty of reasons to dislike Brady and Manning over the years. As a football fan, I'm thankful to have seen them both play, regardless of their individual successes.

Peyton Manning may end up going down as the smartest quarterback, while Tom Brady has been the most proficient (so far) in the post season.

Either way, they're both great. It will be sad to see this era end.

MH64

Yup, I've always been a bigger Brady fan but that Peyton is one smart mofo and although I wouldn't call him the greatest QB, I will say that he is the best QB I've ever seen (and yes, there is a difference between best and greatest) and I'm a Niner fan so that's saying a lot.