• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dodgers take a large gamble

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Currently, my understanding is that this is a federal investigation, not an MLB investigation. Kinda out of MLBs hands. Not to say they don’t have influence, but they aren’t necessarily the final say.

From what I have read and heard, the federal investigation is into the illegal bookie that Mizuhara made the bets through and neither he or Ohtani are part of the criminal investigation.

Assuming Mizuhara actually stole the money, I guess he could end up in a criminal investigation if Ohtani presses charges.

Apparently MLB is waiting to see what happens with the Feds investigation before they decide what they will do. If I understand what was said correctly, MLB is unlikely to take any action unless it looks like Mizuhara and/or Ohtani bet on baseball.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

I wish I made so much money that I couldn't keep track of it.

I've known 1 person/family that made at least close to Ohtani level money. According to the son, who I am friends with, you are talking about hundreds of millions of dollars from multiple sources spread across multiple accounts with several different banks. In Ohtani's case, he likely has accounts in both Japan and the U.S.

From what he said, at that income level, what was missing from Ohtani's account would be about like a regular person looking at the balance in their checking account and seeing there's $10 less than they thought...probably not going to spend much time tracking down that $10.

I find that hard to wrap my head around because $4.5 million is life changing money for me. But for someone making hundreds of millions, not so much. $4.5 million could be a shopping spree by his new wife. lol
Actually, all that money is in Ohtani's future. To present he has 'only' made about $45 million playing MLB baseball. I don't know what he has made in endorsements or in five year in Japan baseball or what kind of family money he comes from.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohtani will get the Michael Jordan treatment. MLB can't really send him to a NBA minor league for a year, even if he does buy the team a fancy bus, so they will just the interpreter be the fall guy. But. at least Ohtani is paying his bookies and his father didn't have to pay the ultimate price.
His bookies? You think Ohtani was the guy who did the gambling and not the other guy?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, all that money is in Ohtani's future. To present he has 'only' made about $45 million playing MLB baseball. I don't know what he has made in endorsements or in five year in Japan baseball or what kind of family money he comes from.

Don't know what he made in Japan either or what kind of money his family has either.

Did a quick search and couldn't find anything with his net worth but did find an article saying that between his 1 year $30 million deal with the Angels and his endorsement deals...he made $65 million last year alone.

So, between what he made in Japan, plus endorsements there and what he made with the Angels and endorsements here, it's pretty safe to say that he's already made at least close to a couple hundred million before the Dodger money which is mostly deferred.

Speaking of his Dodger money...I'm glad the Dodgers got him...but damn, it's going to be interesting to see what happens when that bill comes due. lol

Last edited:

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His bookies? You think Ohtani was the guy who did the gambling and not the other guy?
Maybe. Ohtani has the boy scout image but who knows what lies underneath. Was $4.5 million embezzled or was it money the interpreter bet on Ohtani's behalf that he could no longer cover up. These avenues, at a minimum, need to be investigated as a possibility.

Once upon a time, Jordan and Rose never seemed like gambling junkies either.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe. Ohtani has the boy scout image but who knows what lies underneath. Was $4.5 million embezzled or was it money the interpreter bet on Ohtani's behalf that he could no longer cover up. These avenues, at a minimum, need to be investigated as a possibility.

Once upon a time, Jordan and Rose never seemed like gambling junkies either.
Both Jordan and Rose being big into gambling was pretty obvious to me. Again just my guess but I think it really was the friend. But I don’t think Ohtani got robbed I think he tried to cover his friend’s debt. Still a mess

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Jordan and Rose being big into gambling was pretty obvious to me. Again just my guess but I think it really was the friend. But I don’t think Ohtani got robbed I think he tried to cover his friend’s debt. Still a mess

Yeah, can't really speak to Pete Rose...but MJ's gambling was by far the worst kept secret in the NBA and maybe all of professional sports at the time.

If Mizuhara is a gambling addict, it would make a certain amount of sense that Ohtani might not have known since addicts will go to all kinds of lengths to hide their addiction.

On the other hand, Ohtani is said to be very private, hence no one knowing he got married until he posted a pic with his wife...so who knows if he is into gambling or not?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, can't really speak to Pete Rose...but MJ's gambling was by far the worst kept secret in the NBA and maybe all of professional sports at the time.

If Mizuhara is a gambling addict, it would make a certain amount of sense that Ohtani might not have known since addicts will go to all kinds of lengths to hide their addiction.

On the other hand, Ohtani is said to be very private, hence no one knowing he got married until he posted a pic with his wife...so who knows if he is into gambling or not?
For sure, tons of unknowns and it's a shitshow that's sad to see. I love Ohtani, was excited to see what he could do on a team that actually goes to the playoffs.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure, tons of unknowns and it's a shitshow that's sad to see. I love Ohtani, was excited to see what he could do on a team that actually goes to the playoffs.

If Ohtani didn't know and it was just the interpreter, this will go away fairly quickly since Mizuhara has already been fired and replaced. But if it surfaces that Mizuhara was a fall guy and it was really Ohtani betting...the effects of that could derail the season.

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohtani Might have a gambling problem and the dodgers are paying off his interpreter with millions to take the fall.