• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do your worst

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm obviously a Penguins fan and it's been a rough night. The Habs deserve to move on, it's not just because they're riding a hot goaltender. They are the better team this year. I want to congratulate their players, staff, and fans for the heart they've shown.

Since I'm a Pittsburgh native, I can tell you that the city feels extremely down. I watched the game at a bar tonight, and we didn't have one person there that blamed the officiating, or questioned our team's heart or coaching. The entire bar stood up and clapped at the final buzzer in the Igloo. It was hard for everyone, but after two Stanley Cup finals appearances, one victory, and the amount of heart this team has shown, our guys deserve an ovation after what they've given us on this run.

I don't normally eat crow because I know not to smack-talk other teams, I've been on the receiving end too much because I know the days between the Lemeiux and Crosby primes, and they were tough. I do accept some because of the great ride it's been for us. As great as fans are, they never deserve anything, it's the players and staff that do. We're just fortunate enough to have a taste of what they've accomplished.

So the point I'm making is that I'm proud of my team, and above all, my city. Those guys have done so much for us, and I can't wait to see them next year. Congratulations the the Habs players and fans, enjoy the ride.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats on a great run the last few years. I am sure there will be tons of excitement next year with both the Pens and the new arena.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is all good. I feel your pain. My team was also beat by the muchkins and Halak. Montreal is simply playing great hockey right now. I have lived in Pittsburgh for close to 5 years now and have some great memories as well in cluding the very first pre-season game with Ovechkin and Crosby on the ice.

Chin p....football season is just around the corner.....and down the block aways.

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks guys. I'm not shocked or anything, I saw what the Habs did in Washington, I'm just hoping it's not a missed opportunity for my team. The league is so competitive now, it's hard to judge whether anyone will even make the playoffs the next year. The last time I felt like this Tom Barrasso was the the goat. You may remember a certain softy getting by him in the mid 90's...

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The only thing I don't like about this thread is that it kinda sounds like the pens run is over. This league isn't built for one team to win it all every year, just put yourself in a position to get yourself an opportunity. The Pens are one of few teams that will consistently do this for years to come. Congrats on the season!! See, Pens and Wings can coexist peacefully on the golf course too!!!

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Automattic, the Pens are young and strong down the middle (Crosby, Malkin, and Staal) but they ran into a hot goalie and a team that took advantage of their chances. If anything, this will just make the Penguins hungrier next season. Add to that the excitement of a brand new building and things are looking good for the Pens next season.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pens will be back next year. They are a good young team that ran into a buzz saw. Like so many have said there is a fine line in this league from moving on and playing golf.

Who would have thought the only three teams left in the east would be the Flyers, Bruins and Habs. Next year it could be three others.

Keep your head high it could be different this year. I sure hope so.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not seeing the same tone in this thread that Matt is seeing. I see an expression of hometown pride in the OP (which is what binds the fans of Pittsburgh sports). To say that the entire city is down is not to say that the fans are in mourning that "the run is over." It's just a testament to how much we as a fanbase hold an emotional attachment and pride to our sports teams and city.

With that said....

FUCK

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does your team have Ales Kotalik under contract for two more years at $3 million per season? No. Then shut it!

;-)

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not seeing the same tone in this thread that Matt is seeing. I see an expression of hometown pride in the OP (which is what binds the fans of Pittsburgh sports). To say that the entire city is down is not to say that the fans are in mourning that "the run is over." It's just a testament to how much we as a fanbase hold an emotional attachment and pride to our sports teams and city.

With that said....

FUCK

Actually, I did get that kind of a feeling from Chero, but whatever...whatever..

The Pen's will be a playoff main stay for many years to come or when Crosby's contract ends....which is, if I remember correctly, isn't until the year...

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm obviously a Penguins fan and it's been a rough night. The Habs deserve to move on, it's not just because they're riding a hot goaltender. They are the better team this year. I want to congratulate their players, staff, and fans for the heart they've shown.

Since I'm a Pittsburgh native, I can tell you that the city feels extremely down. I watched the game at a bar tonight, and we didn't have one person there that blamed the officiating, or questioned our team's heart or coaching. The entire bar stood up and clapped at the final buzzer in the Igloo. It was hard for everyone, but after two Stanley Cup finals appearances, one victory, and the amount of heart this team has shown, our guys deserve an ovation after what they've given us on this run.

I don't normally eat crow because I know not to smack-talk other teams, I've been on the receiving end too much because I know the days between the Lemeiux and Crosby primes, and they were tough. I do accept some because of the great ride it's been for us. As great as fans are, they never deserve anything, it's the players and staff that do. We're just fortunate enough to have a taste of what they've accomplished.

So the point I'm making is that I'm proud of my team, and above all, my city. Those guys have done so much for us, and I can't wait to see them next year. Congratulations the the Habs players and fans, enjoy the ride.

Great post, hero. I obviously don't live in Pittsburgh anymore, but I found a good steelers bar out here to watch the playoffs in. The reaction was very similar in the bar I was at.

The bartender poured us all a shot to take the sting off, and we all kind of commiserated together about the loss, and we also reflected on the unlikey journey of this team over the past 3 years.

It wasn't all that long ago that this team was limping off the ice in Ottawa after a very quick five game round 1 exit. If you step back and look at the whole body of work over the past four seasons, it's very impressive... regardless of the outcome of this season's playoff.

No one predicted that this team would have won a cup as early as they did under Crosby and Malkin's leadership. Lemieux had to wait a long time from his arrival in the Burgh' until he had the cup in his hands. Sid and Co. accomplished the same in a very short amount of time in comparison.

I'm proud of this organization and city. I'm very thankful that Mario did what he did and got the city and state administrators off their collective asses and got them to hammer out a new arena deal that guaranteed that the Pens would be a permanent resident in the City of Champions. A lot of people like to claim that it was Sid who kept the Pens in Pittsburgh, but the fans know who the real hero was in this fight... #66 had more to do with it than anyone.

As Pens fans, we have an awful lot to be thankful for. I'd also like to add about the very odd circumstances of the Civic/Mellon Arena opening with a 2-1 loss to the Habs, and then ending it's run with another loss to the Habs. Very coincidental and interesting circumstances, there.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good comments evolver. i think the reason this sucked so freaking much was because...well we're out of practice. there's just something about losing the year after reaching the promised land that sucks more. it's been a LONG time, nearly 2 years, since this level of disappointment has been felt in the burgh. sure the steelers not making the playoffs stung, but not NEARLY as much as this one. i will cry when the mellon is torn down...there's a youtube video that gets me every freaking time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2pT4NNP8_s

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
good comments evolver. i think the reason this sucked so freaking much was because...well we're out of practice. there's just something about losing the year after reaching the promised land that sucks more. it's been a LONG time, nearly 2 years, since this level of disappointment has been felt in the burgh. sure the steelers not making the playoffs stung, but not NEARLY as much as this one. i will cry when the mellon is torn down...there's a youtube video that gets me every freaking time.

YouTube - Our Igloo, Our Home - Pittsburgh Penguins

Great Vid! The two old school arenas were one of my favorite storylines of the Pens and Wings SCF's.