• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do the right thing, Dwight - Sign with Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolln300

"Let It Be"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would Dwight leave when he will be promised the world? People act like the Lakers are afraid to build a winning team. They have done it in the past and they will do it again. I do think Dwight will make demands and one of them will be a new coach but I don't think he will be leaving this time around.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's your definition of high-level free agent? Kevin Love?:lol:

You should just stop watching basketball if you don't think Love is a high level player. You clearly don't understand what you're watching

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gee, ya think maybe the Lakers might be able to use all of that money to convince a couple of high level free agents to come to L.A. and team up with Dwight?

I didn't know that Kobe was retiring after one season. The premise only holds true if Kobe hangs em up after next season. He has made it abundantly clear he plans to keep playing.

If Dwight resigns with LA, he will count 21 million versus the cap.
Kobe has already said he wants to play at least 3 more seasons.
Kobe would have to be signed for about 10-12 million.
Nash is still on the books for 9 million.

That would leave room for ONE max guy or a handful of spare parts guys. It is not going to be some massive cap space.

Howard would be knowingly playing a lottery season in 2014.
He would be gambling that ONE max guy can save him in 2015.

So, a 28 year old would be willing to voluntarily waste a full year of his absolute prime (2013-2014) on the "chance" that people show up in 2015 for a team that he has lukewarm affection???

I don't see it.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't know that Kobe was retiring after one season. The premise only holds true if Kobe hangs em up after next season. He has made it abundantly clear he plans to keep playing.

If Dwight resigns with LA, he will count 21 million versus the cap.
Kobe has already said he wants to play at least 3 more seasons.
Kobe would have to be signed for about 10-12 million.
Nash is still on the books for 9 million.

That would leave room for ONE max guy or a handful of spare parts guys. It is not going to be some massive cap space.

Howard would be knowingly playing a lottery season in 2014.
He would be gambling that ONE max guy can save him in 2015.

So, a 28 year old would be willing to voluntarily waste a full year of his absolute prime (2013-2014) on the "chance" that people show up in 2015 for a team that he has lukewarm affection???

I don't see it.

Put down the crack pipe and back slowly away!! :becky:

Kobe did not say he intends to play 3 more seasons, he said he COULD play 3 more seasons. Additionally, Kobe has said that next season is likely his last and that he wants to play overseas, specifically Italy (he speaks Italian fluently).

2014 would not be a lottery season. Unless they move Pau, the Lakers will likely come back with much of the same roster they currently have (hopefully healthy this time). If they manage to trade Pau (which I don't see happening), it would likely be for younger, more athletic talent (which is what they need). That should get them a solid playoff spot (although likely a 2nd round exit) and then they re-build around Dwight in 2015. Really not that difficult!!

I know that you don't want Dwight to re-sign with the Lakers, but that is the most likely scenario...........sorry!!

Last edited by a moderator:

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A crybaby "superstar" with chronic back problems.

Yea, that worked out great for the Rockets last go round.

Thanks but no thanks.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A crybaby "superstar" with chronic back problems.

Yea, that worked out great for the Rockets last go round.

Thanks but no thanks.

Little harsh don't ya think?

Tracy had more than back problems. He was taking injections in both his knee and shoulder plus having both drained just to be able to play in the playoffs the 2007-08 season. Then had knee surgery that off season.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put down the crack pipe and back slowly away!! :becky:

Kobe did not say he intends to play 3 more seasons, he said he COULD play 3 more seasons. Additionally, Kobe has said that next season is likely his last and that he wants to play overseas, specifically Italy (he speaks Italian fluently).

2014 would not be a lottery season. Unless they move Pau, the Lakers will likely come back with much of the same roster they currently have (hopefully healthy this time). If they manage to trade Pau (which I don't see happening), it would likely be for younger, more athletic talent (which is what they need). That should get them a solid playoff spot (although likely a 2nd round exit) and then they re-build around Dwight in 2015. Really not that difficult!!

I know that you don't want Dwight to re-sign with the Lakers, but that is the most likely scenario...........sorry!!

Not really. They need to move more than Pau. They'll still be over 30 mill over the cap. Thats 100 mill in luxury tax that Buss has to pay out of his own pocket. NOT HAPPENING.

This is with Howards and Kobe on the roster. And lets be real, Kobe won't see the court next season most likely.

The decision is whether you want to keep Howard, OR keep Kobe. Not both. You simply can't afford to put any talent around them if you try to keep both.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why in God's name would I want Dwight Howard to sign with a hated division rival??

With Houston, the Rockets instantly become borderline title contenders.

If he resigns with Kobe-less LA and no cap space, it is essentially another 38-44 win #8 seed in 2014 at best.

It makes no sense for a Spurs fan to root for Howard to the Rockets.

I would much rather him re-sign with the Lakers and make both teams .500 clubs than making the Rockets a 55 win team.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree about Love. He just doesn't have the talent around him to win, especially in the West.

Didn't say that Lebron would come west, just used him as an example as to the free agents that will be available right about the time that the Lakers have big money coming off the books.

Also, while I don't see Lebron signing with the Lakers, if you don't think he'll explore his options after next season, you're the one smoking something. He'll have an aging and injury prone D-Wade and Bosh. Not gonna be winning a lot of championships with that.

So he should stay in LA on the basis of the slim hopes that LeBron will join him in a couple years? You can't build your team entirely on free agency and trades. You have to develop young talent after awhile. I'm a Cubs fan who's learned that lesson. We won 97 games in 2008 but didn't have the necessary chemistry and were a quick out in the Playoffs. We're now in the midst of a lengthy rebuilding process as a result.

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Kobe stays and plays another 3 years, I can see Dwight wanting to stay. Injuries to Kobe withstanding.

I don't feel Howard will ever be THE guy with any squad.. atleast as far as winning championships. I get the feeling he's a great #2 to augment a superstar with actual heart.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. They need to move more than Pau. They'll still be over 30 mill over the cap. Thats 100 mill in luxury tax that Buss has to pay out of his own pocket. NOT HAPPENING.

This is with Howards and Kobe on the roster. And lets be real, Kobe won't see the court next season most likely.

The decision is whether you want to keep Howard, OR keep Kobe. Not both. You simply can't afford to put any talent around them if you try to keep both.

The Lakers have been all in with Dwight since day one and they have also known since day 1 that were going to get killed on the luxury tax in 2014 if Dwight signs with them. So, unless they can unload Pau in a way that provides some relief, they will pay through the nose on luxury tax for 2014, but they knew that going in. They have a several billion dollar t.v. deal with Time-Warner that will enable them to absorb the luxury tax hit much better than any other team in the league. It's still going to hurt, but not as bad as it would other teams.

As for Kobe not playing next season. That's wishful thinking on your part. The estimate is 6-9 months. That means as early as October (start of the season) or as late as January (still before the All-Star break). Having watched him for 17 seasons, my money is on an October/November return. The only question will be, how much the Achilles hinders him. He definitely won't have the same explosiveness on his first step, so he'll have to change his game a bit (which could actually be a good thing as he will have to rely on his teammates more).

Bottom line, as much as some folks really, really wish it to be otherwise. The Lakers will be just fine and it will be sooner rather than later (assuming Short Buss (Jim) doesn't go full retard).

Last edited by a moderator:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why in God's name would I want Dwight Howard to sign with a hated division rival??

With Houston, the Rockets instantly become borderline title contenders.

If he resigns with Kobe-less LA and no cap space, it is essentially another 38-44 win #8 seed in 2014 at best.

It makes no sense for a Spurs fan to root for Howard to the Rockets.

I would much rather him re-sign with the Lakers and make both teams .500 clubs than making the Rockets a 55 win team.

I don't know, maybe you hate the Lakers more. You're awfully insistent that he is going to sign with Houston despite the fact that virtually every "expert" out there says otherwise and even though he'd be walking away from about $30 million dollars to do it. Tax or no tax, no one is walking away from $30 million.

As for the Lakers being a 38-44 win team in 2014, I seriously doubt that they will have the same injury issues next season that they have had this season. In my 40+ years of following professional sports, I don't recall ever seeing a team go through what the Lakers have as far as health.

This same roster, only dealing with a normal amount of injuries is pretty close to a 55 win team itself. Are they championship contenders? No, probably not. Although I wouldn't completely rule it out, just wouldn't put any money on it.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as he doesn't sign with the Lakers it's all good. Lakers fans deserve to know what it's like to have a shitty team for many years to come.

All I ask is that the other GM's in the league don't answer the phone when Kupchak calls.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as he doesn't sign with the Lakers it's all good. Lakers fans deserve to know what it's like to have a shitty team for many years to come.

All I ask is that the other GM's in the league don't answer the phone when Kupchak calls.

:agree:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So he should stay in LA on the basis of the slim hopes that LeBron will join him in a couple years? You can't build your team entirely on free agency and trades. You have to develop young talent after awhile. I'm a Cubs fan who's learned that lesson. We won 97 games in 2008 but didn't have the necessary chemistry and were a quick out in the Playoffs. We're now in the midst of a lengthy rebuilding process as a result.

At what point did I say that he would stay in L.A. on the slim hope that Lebron would come to the Lakers? In fact, I specifically stated that I seriously doubt that Lebron joins the Lakers. Please try to keep up.

As for having to develop young talent, that's not necessarily true. The difference between the Cubs and Lakers is money. The Lakers are swimming in it. The several billion dollar t.v. deal with Time-Warner guarantees that the Lakers make money no matter what. The Cubs had their one shot because they didn't have the money to maintain what they were trying to do. The Lakers are not in that position.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why? Because fans of other teams are jealous that their team can't keep up?

The solution is simple. If fans of other teams don't like it, they can become Laker fans!!:yahoo:

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? Because fans of other teams are jealous that their team can't keep up?

The solution is simple. If fans of other teams don't like it, they can become Laker fans!!:yahoo:

Just so you know I'm from So. Cal.

I remember a few years ago Jerry West gave an interview with Bill McDonald on Fox sports. West told him just how hard it is to stay on top & that the Lakers could very easily see themselves fall to where the worst teams in the league are. McDonald just laughed it off like YEAH RIGHT, it won't happen here.

The truth is if Dwight leaves for the Rockets or Mavericks the Lakers are screwed. Kobe is getting old & only has 1 year left on his contract. Gasol is about to enter the final year of his deal at 19 million. The Lakers traded their next two 1st round picks to Phoenix for Nash. They could have some cap space in the next couple of years, but that's about it. No guarantee that players will sign with them though.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just so you know I'm from So. Cal.

I remember a few years ago Jerry West gave an interview with Bill McDonald on Fox sports. West told him just how hard it is to stay on top & that the Lakers could very easily see themselves fall to where the worst teams in the league are. McDonald just laughed it off like YEAH RIGHT, it won't happen here.

The truth is if Dwight leaves for the Rockets or Mavericks the Lakers are screwed. Kobe is getting old & only has 1 year left on his contract. Gasol is about to enter the final year of his deal at 19 million. The Lakers traded their next two 1st round picks to Phoenix for Nash. They could have some cap space in the next couple of years, but that's about it. No guarantee that players will sign with them though.

Not everyone in SoCal is a Laker fan. The problem with your statement though is the "no guarantee that players will sign with them" part.

Obviously, there are no guarantees, but when have you ever seen the Lakers have trouble finding top level players who are willing to take their money and play in L.A.?

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not everyone in SoCal is a Laker fan. The problem with your statement though is the "no guarantee that players will sign with them" part.

Obviously, there are no guarantees, but when have you ever seen the Lakers have trouble finding top level players who are willing to take their money and play in L.A.?

We might this offseason if Dwight says no. He needs to think long & hard too. All he really has to do is look at the Lakers roster & realize this team has no shot long term. We already know the best players in the league aren't coming to the Lakers because they're signed long term with Miami & OKC. Kobe isn't going to play forever & he wants to win NOW. Nash is OLD. Gasol is the Lakers only trading chip & he makes 19M. The only positive about him is his expiring contract. The Lakers are OLD & SLOW. They have the absolute worst coach they could have possibly hired for their roster.

Rebuilding the Lakers WON'T be easy.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How are the Lakers screwed if Dwight doesn't resign? You act like there aren't any players out there who would love to play in LA, who would love to play for a storied franchise like the Lakers, who would love the endorsements.

Yeah, the whole league should conspire against the Lakers because that's the only way to stop them from being a contender almost every year... Lol. You guys don't realize you already got your wish (at least this year) when Stern came out of no where to veto the CP3 trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.