• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do the Patriots get at least a first round pick for Jimmy?

Do the Patriots get at least a first round pick for Jimmy G?

• Yes: At least a first, maybe more

• No

• Potato Salad (not that German crap)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
room should go to Denver

should

I don't see Houston, I don't see jones letting the Texans steal some of his thunder. send him to the jets! we need another QB in the AFC east...bradys been bored for a decade.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've talked to several of my bears fan friends about it and we all agree, we would offer a 2nd and 4th rounder for him this year, with the intention of upping it to a third if they don't like the offer.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, that Bradford deal was amped up by terrible timing for the Vikings, with the season starting soon. Teams have the entire offseason to find a QB currently.
Well, that is true. Also, you have to take into account where they were selected. Bradford was first overall and Jimmy G was a middle second rounder. Bradford actually got less than what he was drafted for (albeit by another team). Jimmy G getting a first would be an upgrade. Getting a second from Cleveland or Chicago would also be an upgrade.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've talked to several of my bears fan friends about it and we all agree, we would offer a 2nd and 4th rounder for him this year, with the intention of upping it to a third if they don't like the offer.
that's about what I would expect, 2 and a 3. I'm convinced hes going to be a star. hes got "it". not a cannon arm, but good enough to make the throws. what sold me is he doesn't seem to get flustered, or lost in tights or the moment.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 2nd and 3rd might be tempting as those will be high picks in those rounds. I wonder what the Pats could get if they keep him one more year, franchise tag him, and trade him. They did it with Cassel and got the 34th pick.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that is true. Also, you have to take into account where they were selected. Bradford was first overall and Jimmy G was a middle second rounder. Bradford actually got less than what he was drafted for (albeit by another team). Jimmy G getting a first would be an upgrade. Getting a second from Cleveland or Chicago would also be an upgrade.

We just haven't seen enough of Jimmy to know what he will bring to the game consistently. We know Bradford is captain checkdown when he's not injured. I could project Garoppolo to be a better overall QB than Bradford, but it wouldn't be based on enough game film....yet.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We just haven't seen enough of Jimmy to know what he will bring to the game consistently. We know Bradford is captain checkdown when he's not injured. I could project Garoppolo to be a better overall QB than Bradford, but it wouldn't be based on enough game film....yet.
You can say the same about every draft pick this year. You can trade two unproven rookies for a guy who's shown he can succeed in real NFL games. I think it's a fair trade.

A 2nd and 3rd might be tempting as those will be high picks in those rounds. I wonder what the Pats could get if they keep him one more year, franchise tag him, and trade him. They did it with Cassel and got the 34th pick.
It depends on if Brady stays healthy. Do you think the quarterback position will be this bleak for so many teams next year? If not, he probably loses value. I'd watch what happens with cousins though. If Washington hangs onto him, it would be very wise to deal Jimmy G. Next year, the bears and browns might already have another QB project and not be in the market. Those are probably the two teams that would fetch the greatest return given their past with QBs.

that's about what I would expect, 2 and a 3. I'm convinced hes going to be a star. hes got "it". not a cannon arm, but good enough to make the throws. what sold me is he doesn't seem to get flustered, or lost in tights or the moment.
Yeah, i was chalking his success up to the Patriots being awesome, but the more I read and hear, the more I feel like he won't be a jake locker 2.0. All I really want is a talented QB who looks like he gives a damn.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends on if Brady stays healthy. Do you think the quarterback position will be this bleak for so many teams next year? If not, he probably loses value. I'd watch what happens with cousins though. If Washington hangs onto him, it would be very wise to deal Jimmy G. Next year, the bears and browns might already have another QB project and not be in the market. Those are probably the two teams that would fetch the greatest return given their past with QBs.
Agreed. But if they do keep him and let him walk in free agency, there's a good chance they get a low 3rd round comp pick with the amount of free agents they have after 2018. I also wonder if they question his durability and/or willingness to play through injury. There was grumblings around here that the Pats wanted him to play against Buffalo but he wasn't willing to give it a go.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. But if they do keep him and let him walk in free agency, there's a good chance they get a low 3rd round comp pick with the amount of free agents they have after 2018. I also wonder if they question his durability and/or willingness to play through injury. There was grumblings around here that the Pats wanted him to play against Buffalo but he wasn't willing to give it a go.
I think that's overanalyzing it. If they do question his durability, I wouldn't mind taking him off their hands. I don't knock players for sitting out with injuries though. I'm one of the few bears fans who didn't bash jay for sitting the second half against GB. Sometimes the starters injuries make him worse than the back up and it's not smart on several fronts to play. Kinda like Rivers playing through a torn ACL.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can say the same about every draft pick this year. You can trade two unproven rookies for a guy who's shown he can succeed in real NFL games. I think it's a fair trade.

Yeah, i was chalking his success up to the Patriots being awesome, but the more I read and hear, the more I feel like he won't be a jake locker 2.0. All I really want is a talented QB who looks like he gives a damn.

He's definitely better than Jake. Locker couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. The Pats system influence is the big question; how much of his strong (but brief) performance last year won't happen with his potential new team?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The Cousins situation will play a role in this because if the Redskins don't work out a long term deal with him the 9ers will come knocking to see if the Skins will look to cut their losses and get some picks for him. Or the 9ers could just wait for Cousins to be a FA next year knowing that they would almost certainly be Cousins #1 desired spot. In that case the 9ers would be out of the Jimmy G bidding and it would really make Chicago imo the favorite to land him.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But same goes for drafting a QB. It's a crap shoot either way. At least with Jimmy G teams have seen him have success at the NFL level. Granted a small sample size. He's also been in a BB/McDaniel/TB offense. A tough offense to learn which shows his ability to quickly make decisions and deliver an accurate ball. This can be both a pro and a con.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But same goes for drafting a QB. It's a crap shoot either way. At least with Jimmy G teams have seen him have success at the NFL level. Granted a small sample size. He's also been in a BB/McDaniel/TB offense. A tough offense to learn which shows his ability to quickly make decisions and deliver an accurate ball. This can be both a pro and a con.

Actually the BB system is one of the easiest in the NFL. They run what is called the Earhardt-Perkins system which is every play call is pretty much a 2-word command and every player knows exactly what they are expected to do. And it doesn't matter the formation because that same 2-word command means the same thing no matter the formation making it much easier on the QB. It is actually not used by every team because it is hard to find skill position players that can pick up the system because they would be asked to memorize multiple positions and what is required of them. It is why NE looks so much for highly intelligent skill position players sometimes over athleticism.

It is also though why they can have back up QB's come in and find such instant success. It caters to QB's not having to think as much and just go out and make plays. Brady takes it to a whole different level because of his ability to also then read defenses and understand the best place for a pass to actually go.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually the BB system is one of the easiest in the NFL. They run what is called the Earhardt-Perkins system which is every play call is pretty much a 2-word command and every player knows exactly what they are expected to do. And it doesn't matter the formation because that same 2-word command means the same thing no matter the formation making it much easier on the QB. It is actually not used by every team because it is hard to find skill position players that can pick up the system because they would be asked to memorize multiple positions and what is required of them. It is why NE looks so much for highly intelligent skill position players sometimes over athleticism.

It is also though why they can have back up QB's come in and find such instant success. It caters to QB's not having to think as much and just go out and make plays. Brady takes it to a whole different level because of his ability to also then read defenses and understand the best place for a pass to actually go.
You hit it on the head when you mentioned finding skilled positions players. It's all about timing. Those skill players need to be where they're expected to be on time. The QB not only needs understand the playbook, multiple formations, recognizing the D and getting the offense in the best match ups. You're helping make my point. That drafting a QB is a crap shoot. When a guy like JG has laready proven the ability to do all the things mentioned to get his team in place to win.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of course, rookies are an unknown as well. However, these teams scouted Garoppolo as a rookie as well, so they should be able to balance those evaluations (and the new info last year) with the rookies' evaluations to make a decision.

We've seen a backup QB have success in a short window on a great team before, and that ended rather badly for anyone that took a chance with him thereafter (Matt Flynn anyone?).

One of the big benefits of drafting a rookie QB is that they get the benefit of the doubt for a year or more as they experience the expected growing pains. Vets don't get that same treatment, fair or not. Plus, with a rookie, the unknown tends to be extended farther into the positive than it should be, which can get the fan base more excited. Again, not something that should influence a smart team necessarily, but we aren't talking about teams that have been smart recently either for the most part.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, rookies are an unknown as well. However, these teams scouted Garoppolo as a rookie as well, so they should be able to balance those evaluations (and the new info last year) with the rookies' evaluations to make a decision.

We've seen a backup QB have success in a short window on a great team before, and that ended rather badly for anyone that took a chance with him thereafter (Matt Flynn anyone?).

One of the big benefits of drafting a rookie QB is that they get the benefit of the doubt for a year or more as they experience the expected growing pains. Vets don't get that same treatment, fair or not. Plus, with a rookie, the unknown tends to be extended farther into the positive than it should be, which can get the fan base more excited. Again, not something that should influence a smart team necessarily, but we aren't talking about teams that have been smart recently either for the most part.
Yes, but when they trade for a JG if they're worried about potential failure take his one year current contract. Dump him at the end of one year or franchise him? Or the team liked what they saw an give him the contract he'll demand in FA.
When it comes down to it, it's a matter of how big a gambler the GM, coach and owners are?
I love this time of year. So many possibilities. We NE fans think we know what BB will do and every year he pulls a 180 on us.
In BB we trust.
Good luck in FA and the draft. Continue to make life misearable for the Hawks:suds:

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minny gave a boat load for Brokeford so anything is possible. Personally I think NE holds onto him as Bradys soon to be replacement.