• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Did the NCAA finally get one right?

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NCAA declares UNC Junior P.J. Hairston permanently ineligible. UNC says they won't seek reinstatement.

Did they finally get this one right, or should PJ be allowed to play again?

Discuss.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's out of UNC's hair now...NCAA says he's ineligible elsewhere now (can he play college hoops as a "walk on?")...he says he's declaring for the NBA...

cool beans. let him try following Redemption Road (if he gives a shit) in the pros.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only facts I know are he was stopped twice for a rental car that wasn't in his name. Permanent ineligibility seems harsh for that. Was there more?

I'm not sure we have all the facts though. I'm thinking a little more came out but protection of student rights doesn't allow for everything to be disclosed.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's out of UNC's hair now...NCAA says he's ineligible elsewhere now (can he play college hoops as a "walk on?")...he says he's declaring for the NBA...

cool beans. let him try following Redemption Road (if he gives a shit) in the pros.

I'm not positive, but I suspect that his ineligibility is due to amateurism issues, and if that's the case, I don't think he can even walk on anywhere.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only facts I know are he was stopped twice for a rental car that wasn't in his name. Permanent ineligibility seems harsh for that. Was there more?

I'm not sure we have all the facts though. I'm thinking a little more came out but protection of student rights doesn't allow for everything to be disclosed.

Well, I don't think it was necessarily because the car wasn't in his name... Kevin Ware got stopped for speeding in a car that wasn't in his name, and nothing came of it. With Hairston, I think it had more to do with the fact that he was pulled over in two different rental cars, both rented by some convicted felon called "Fats" (or rented by persons living at his address) which alos happens to be tied to 2 other rental cars that have received numerous parking violations on UNC's campus (along with the two cars that Hairston drove as well) which isn't exactly damning evidence, but it's hard not to draw certain conclusions when you start connecting the dots.

It appears that this Fats guy, has been providing transportation for at least some UNC players which is a pretty clear violation, and getting pulled over... twice... (once where guns and drugs were found but not tied to any particular party in the car) makes him an easy "example" to set.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gee Wally, you saying PJ's a pro?

I'm not positive, but I suspect that his ineligibility is due to amateurism issues, and if that's the case, I don't think he can even walk on anywhere.

I suspect you're right. Think, however, I'll hold back any further excoriation of Hairston until we all get to hear just how much more "significantly severe" the kid's 'violations' actually were.

Hairston – along with senior teammate Leslie McDonald – was held out of game action once the season began in November while the NCAA investigated the possibility he accepted “impermissible extra benefits.”
McDonald was reinstated on Wednesday after a nine-game suspension, on the condition that he pays restitution of $1,783 for the use of a luxury car, payment of parking tickets, a cell phone and lodging. Apparently, the violations involving Hairston were significantly more severe. There is also a possibility the now-former player wasn’t entirely truthful when questioned by the NCAA.

P.J. Hairston's UNC career over as school decides not to seek reinstatement | ACC Insider

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is also a possibility the now-former player wasn’t entirely truthful when questioned by the NCAA.

It's not the crime... it's the cover up.

Nixon.png

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And H2S, you got a thumbs-up just for the Beav, reference.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Attachments

• eddie-haskell.jpg
    eddie-haskell.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 78

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA is very inconsistent. Johnny Manziel sat out half a game for signing footballs for unknown amounts of cash. No paybacks whatsoever. Leslie McDonald has to pay $1783 to the charity of his choice(?), but uNC submitted a letter of reinstatement as soon as they learned of improper benefits concerning the use of luxury cars and mouthguard branding, paid parking tickets, paid lodging by Hadyn Fats, etc. uNC never submitted a letter for reinstatement for PJ Hairston even though allegedly similar violations as McDonalad's. Plus, his parents were said to be against him paying back any money, which seems to be the determining factor in his status rather than the NCAA. The monetary payback was never given publicly to my knowledge.

TangoBlue

I'd cabeceo that cutie!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other issues have been brought up about UNC; and I wonder if UNC didn't throw Hairston under the bus in hopes that the NCAA would drop any further investigation . Not saying UNC is guilty of anything...just wondering.:scratch: