• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Did Saban turn down $100 million to coach Texas?

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SABAN specifically addressed it today at the SEC media days.
He left no room for doubt in a very cold and direct Saban like demeanor.

He said:
1) neither side had any contact.
2) No offer was given because there was never any contact.
3) No mutual interest was ever beyond the speculation of the public.
4) He will not discuss that stupidity ever again.

Texas Boosters might have floated it.
Message boards love it.
Finebaum might have used it to sell books.

But, any 100 million dollar offer (or any offer for that matter) is news to both Texas and Alabama.
Complete fictional story by someone who should know better....

Never is until terms are agreed upon.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Tide does have the best coach in college football. As much as I'd like to play Alabama for the National Championship this year my common sense tells me OU would be better off playing anybody but Alabama in the NC game. Saban is not going to let Oklahoma sneak up on him again. That crafty bastard would be pulling all kinds of things out of his wazoo to keep OU's offense off the field.

Thanks, but he got caught with his pants down in the last two games of the year last year. He has some ass kissing to do this year to make us really love him again:lol: He needs to go undefeated and win the playoffs first year to establish a new run in the post BCS era:nod:

Good luck this year(unless we play again):lol:

:suds:

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Says the poster whose team makes deals on airport tarmacs in the early morning hours before sun up:lol:

:suds:

Gotta do what you gotta do and that is the main reason coaches don't do their own negotiations anymore and nothing is in writing until the deal is done.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
first off, finebaum is an idiot. I think we can all agree with that.

second, yes there was a group of extremely wealthy boosters who wanted to get Saban, at any cost. He is the best coach around, and if you have even a hint of possibly getting him, you back up the truck and give him the money. However, there were many powers in play in this thing, and the boosters were just one. The president was being pushed out by the governor, the AD was scooted out to retirement and a new one stepping into this mess.

Third, you had a proud coach, who was doing everything he could to stay. And he is a master at this kind of thing. He stayed away from home as long as he could, because he knew the boosters were angling for Saban, and the last thing he wanted was Saban to replace him. He went on some strange, out of the ordinary trip to Miami, of all places, 'recruiting'; he went to NY to some banquet. He knew when he got back, they were going to corner him fast and get him out quickly and quietly, so that Saban, if he decided to come, would not be in the middle of something unseemly.

Of course, MB worked it to the final second, at the team banquet, still fighting for his job. As anyone who wants his job would.

It was a very strange group of events. Finebaum, in his simplistic and somewhat ignorant way, is just slinging the one tiny bit of the whole picture. Texas NEVER offered Saban. Boosters and Saban's agent may have exchanged some info, but that is it.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finebaum might have used it to sell books.

But, any 100 million dollar offer (or any offer for that matter) is news to both Texas and Alabama.
Complete fictional story by someone who should know better....

I think Finebaum cancelled out statement 2 for statement 1...To me he's is on the same level with Holtz, they should both have to wear a "For Entertainment Purposes Only" sticker on their forehead...too bad either one wasn't more entertaining.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What happened:

"We should pay Saban $100 million to be the next coach of Texas!" - Texas booster

What Finebaum says happened:

"Texas offered Saban $100 million to be the next coach of Texas."

^^^This^^^

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
17 year contract at about $5.9 million per year, guaranteed...seems legit

however I don't think he would last that long in the BIG XII. Isn't he like 70 already?

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
17 year contract at about $5.9 million per year, guaranteed...seems legit

however I don't think he would last that long in the BIG XII. Isn't he like 70 already?

62 and your right, he wont coach much beyond 70 if he coaches that long.