• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Did Michael Jordan ruin basketball? Absolutely!

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But as far as body contact on drives, there is more allowed now than ever before.

The game is physical in a different way.

I couldnt disagree with you more. Just watching games from the Jordan Era, just one would pretty much dispel this.

Epoch1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free agency (which didn't happen till the summer of 1988) and expansion / adding new teams killed the team aspect. It's gotten to the point where you would have one very good to great player playing with nothing but role players. The superstar had to play ISO ball for his team to compete.

The majority of the 80's you played with the same teammates just about every year. The only way you didn't is if they were traded. Why fix it if it aint broke?

Plus it's funny the dude who wrote that article called James a quitter and that's why he'll never be Jordan. No chance that Miami was coming back from an 18pt deficit when Lebron left the game.

The quitter label is one that James deserves. The man wilts when the game is on the line IMO. And he want to leave as soon as the game seems out of hand. Fighting back is one thing he will never be accused of.

Epoch1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldnt disagree with you more. Just watching games from the Jordan Era, just one would pretty much dispel this.

:agree:

I completely agree. James would be crying all night if he played in the 80's. He wants a clear path to the basket or he demands a call if you look at him wrong/

The sad thing is that in today's NBA... he gets what he wants

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The quitter label is one that James deserves. The man wilts when the game is on the line IMO. And he want to leave as soon as the game seems out of hand. Fighting back is one thing he will never be accused of.

Sorry man but James is clutch by any definition.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I completely agree. James would be crying all night if he played in the 80's. He wants a clear path to the basket or he demands a call if you look at him wrong/

Are you sure you watched MJ play?

Epoch1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you sure you watched MJ play?

I agree that MJ was an incredible player. I won't take anything away from him as far as that goes.

But, IMO, the only reason that the Bulls were as successful as they were is because, after the decline of the Pistons, there weren't any good TEAMS in the NBA that could challenge them. ISO ball took hold and team ball ended.

tzorn10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if Michael ruined the game with the whole ISO concept, but i'm confident in saying that I believe any of the top 5 or 6 teams from the 80's would have beaten the Bulls ass in a finals serious, regardless of the year.

Also,todays NBA being more physical then the 70's, 80's, early 90's? Give me a break. Todays NBA is a bunch of pussies compared to those eras.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I came across this article today and it asked a question that I have been debating since the 1990's.

The writer says what I've been saying ever since the NBA started promoting ISO ball and highlighting players rather then teams.

The win by the Spurs this year brought appreciation for TEAM basketball back... if only for this year. The Spurs proved that a great TEAM will always beat a great player.

Anyone want to chime in?

Jordan didn't win squat at the NBA level until the team around him was deep, talented and tested. Not sure how he ruined basketball. The Spurs, Celtics and Pistons championship teams in the last ten years have proven the team game is still alive and kicking.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really?

LeBron James is a tank. He may whine when he doesn't get a foul call, but his strength is one of his greatest assets. Physical play benefits LeBron a lot more than it hinders him. Didn't you make a comment about him lowering his shoulder and going right through defenders? This is exactly what I am talking about. Those plays would have been fouls in the 80s, now many are no calls.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if Michael ruined the game with the whole ISO concept, but i'm confident in saying that I believe any of the top 5 or 6 teams from the 80's would have beaten the Bulls ass in a finals serious, regardless of the year.

Also,todays NBA being more physical then the 70's, 80's, early 90's? Give me a break. Todays NBA is a bunch of pussies compared to those eras.

No. They play a different game. Rick Mahorn was a defensive lineman. There is no place for his antics in basketball.

Epoch1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan didn't win squat at the NBA level until the team around him was deep, talented and tested. Not sure how he ruined basketball. The Spurs, Celtics and Pistons championship teams in the last ten years have proven the team game is still alive and kicking.

It might still be alive... but it's on life-support.

In 1986 Jordan scored 63 point in a superhuman effort that many called the greatest NBA game ever played. His TEAM still lost. Bird described MJ's play as "God disguised as Michael Jordan"

"He was hitting outside shots, driving to the hole. We had about everyone on the team guarding him," recalled Bird, now the Pacers president. "He obviously was in a zone. He kept them in the game with big basket after big basket. We couldn't stop him. We tried to shade him to help, everything. You were talking about a different type of talent."

He scored 49 points in the game before that one... his TEAM still lost. MJ learned from that series. He realized that he needed a TEAM to win.

The Bulls got him the help he needed, After that, he made history.

It's a shame that James could never figure that out.

Epoch1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly. A lot of people seem to have forgotten how many game winners that Paxson and Kerr hit. MJ turned into a great TEAM player once he realized it wasn't all about him.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that MJ was an incredible player. I won't take anything away from him as far as that goes.

But, IMO, the only reason that the Bulls were as successful as they were is because, after the decline of the Pistons, there weren't any good TEAMS in the NBA that could challenge them. ISO ball took hold and team ball ended.
But you're ridiculing James by speculating on what would have happened had he played in the 80's while praising MJ for doing exactly what you're ridiculing Lebron for.

MJ cried to the league about the Pistons play and they implemented a flagrant foul rule soon after for him.

Epoch1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. They play a different game. Rick Mahorn was a defensive lineman. There is no place for his antics in basketball.

I hate to say this, but I loved watching Rick "McFilthy" Mahorn play against Kevin McHale. He was McHale's kryptonite.

Along with Bill "McNasty" Laimbeer, they were one of the best frontlines in the NBA. And neither of them could jump off the floor.

Laimbeer was Robert Parrish's punching bag. Epic low-post battles that have never been seen since.

:laugh3:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bulls teams played great team basketball.

Epoch1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you're ridiculing James by speculating on what would have happened had he played in the 80's while praising MJ for doing exactly what you're ridiculing Lebron for.

MJ cried to the league about the Pistons play and they implemented a flagrant foul rule soon after for him.

You're kind of proving my point. The NBA changed the rules to make it easier on MJ... and in turn hand-cuffed team defense.

Lebron is just one of those guys that benefited from those rules changes. Change them back and Lebron wouldn't be half the player MJ was even before those rules changes.

MJ didn't need the changes... it was the NBA that wanted to free him so he could put on an ever better show. Without them LBJ would be pretty average.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. A lot of people seem to have forgotten how many game winners that Paxson and Kerr hit. MJ turned into a great TEAM player once he realized it wasn't all about him.

Right, so why was it that he ruined basketball? For a second there I didn't realize we were just trolling BronBron fans again. (Flagrant foul rule was implemented during The Bulls FIRST championship season. Weird timing to say the least.)