• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Did McCaffery actually break Sanders record?

Did christian McCaffery actually break Barry Sanders record for all purpose yards?

• Yes

Votes: 23 65.7%
  • No

Votes: 12 34.3%

• Total voters

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's sad to me that we have to downgrade athlete's accomplishments like this. McCaffrey broke the record. It doesn't really matter if he played more games because we aren't talking about the per game record. They are 2 seperate things.
Its not a single game record its a season record. The amount of games played plays a major role into the "record". IMO its sad to downgrade an original record and the accomplishments of an athlete as well as the history of the sport. By adding 2 extra games worth of stats to the final stats. How is that not downgrading Sanders accomplishment?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wouldn't surprise me either but that would be a problem. Not saying Watson doesn't deserve it as much as Henry and McCaffrey but this is supposed to be an outstanding player award. If the most outstanding player's team blew chunks and didn't win a game all season it shouldn't mean that the most outstanding player should be disregarded.

My opinion though is when you have 2 RBs who's numbers are so close, you go with the guy who does more than simply run the ball. McCaffrey played every position on offense that doesn't require you to be 6-5 and 300lbs.

Can't argue w/ that logic.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just find it odd that when McCaffrey face dNon Pac12 teams(Northwestern and Notre Dame) both held him under 100 yards. When Henry played Wisconsin he went for 147 and 3TDs
He had 94 yards against ND, it's not like he was shut down...

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just find it odd that when McCaffrey face dNon Pac12 teams(Northwestern and Notre Dame) both held him under 100 yards. When Henry played Wisconsin he went for 147 and 3TDs

I hope Derrick Henry is so tired from carrying around his Heisman Trophy and running for 300 yards against Michigan State that he's cramping up against OU in the NC game.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Derrick Henry is so tired from carrying around his Heisman Trophy and running for 300 yards against Michigan State that he's cramping up against OU in the NC game.
DONT YOU PUT THAT VOODOO ON BAMA!!

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That makes no sense... you keep claiming to be a numbers guy, but keep trying to manipulate the numbers because you don't like the result.

"numbers guy" self description revoked.
It makes perfect sense. without the two extra games the numbers aren't close. Like i already stated had McCaffery surpassed sanders in 11 games its legit. If anything McCaffery can claim the record of most all purpose yards in 13 games. Until someone does it in 11games based on the numbers sanders records stands

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't find that odd. Wisconsin obviously had a bad day against the run for a usually stout D against a bruiser with a line. Northwestern has a fantastic run defense. Plus I believe that was week one which also makes a difference. And it's not like McCaffrey only had 40 yards on ND. He had almost 100, over 100 total yards from scrimmage which is what he does.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't find that odd. Wisconsin obviously had a bad day against the run for a usually stout D against a bruiser with a line. Northwestern has a fantastic run defense. Plus I believe that was week one which also makes a difference. And it's not like McCaffrey only had 40 yards on ND. He had almost 100, over 100 total yards from scrimmage which is what he does.
Northwesterns rundefense ranks 11
Wisconsin ranks 3rd
Notre Dame is ranked in the 60's

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It makes perfect sense. without the two extra games the numbers aren't close. Like i already stated had McCaffery surpassed sanders in 11 games its legit. If anything McCaffery can claim the record of most all purpose yards in 13 games. Until someone does it in 11games based on the numbers sanders records stands
No, it doesn't make sense, that's not how it works. Again you can not like it, your stance on not liking it isn't completely invalid, but that's not how it works... there are 12 games now, 13 if you get in a CCG. You don't just get to throw two games out to preserve a record...

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it doesn't make sense, that's not how it works. Again you can not like it, your stance on not liking it isn't completely invalid, but that's not how it works... there are 12 games now, 13 if you get in a CCG. You don't just get to throw two games out to preserve a record...
"most all purpose yards in 13 games*"

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not a single game record its a season record. The amount of games played plays a major role into the "record". IMO its sad to downgrade an original record and the accomplishments of an athlete as well as the history of the sport. By adding 2 extra games worth of stats to the final stats. How is that not downgrading Sanders accomplishment?

NO ONE CAN DOWNGRADE SANDERS' ACCOMPLISHEMTS. I'll say that first off. I didn't say single game record, I said per game record. Big difference. Per game record is average per game which Sanders would still hold over McCaffrey. But this is what happens in sports. The NFL went from 12 to 14 to 16 games. It skews the numbers but the fact remains that per season is per season. OJ had 2003 yards in '73, Dickerson had 2105 in '84. OJ had 143 yards per game while Dickerson had 131. Who holds the single season record for total yards? That would be Dickerson. Who holds the record for most yards per game over a season? That would be OJ. 2 different records. So tell me what you would suggest the NCAA do? Count Barry's bowl game? Well, they didn't count then and it wouldn't be fair to retroactively count it. Or should they only count 11 games for McCaffrey? Well, he played 13 so far and the bowl game will count too. Things change, brother! As a huge Barry fan I say it just is what it is. there are (thankfully) more games now.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO ONE CAN DOWNGRADE SANDERS' ACCOMPLISHEMTS. I'll say that first off. I didn't say single game record, I said per game record. Big difference. Per game record is average per game which Sanders would still hold over McCaffrey. But this is what happens in sports. The NFL went from 12 to 14 to 16 games. It skews the numbers but the fact remains that per season is per season. OJ had 2003 yards in '73, Dickerson had 2105 in '84. OJ had 143 yards per game while Dickerson had 131. Who holds the single season record for total yards? That would be Dickerson. Who holds the record for most yards per game over a season? That would be OJ. 2 different records. So tell me what you would suggest the NCAA do? Count Barry's bowl game? Well, they didn't count then and it wouldn't be fair to retroactively count it. Or should they only count 11 games for McCaffrey? Well, he played 13 so far and the bowl game will count too. Things change, brother! As a huge Barry fan I say it just is what it is. there are (thankfully) more games now.

"But... McCaffrey played 2 more games...:ipw:"

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barrys bowl game is not included in his overall yards in regards to the record. The stat used in the record is based on 11 regular season games minus the bowl game. McCaffery has plated 13 games already not including his bowl game. Unless we are basing the record on a level playing field its downgrading Sanders accomplishment. Had McCaffery surpassed sanders in 11 games there is no discussion. But it took him 2 extra games. We're not talking yards per game but when extra games are involved i agree those sats are flawed as well. And i cant recognize those records as legit either. McCaffery has the record for most yards in 13 games. Until someone passed Sanders in 11 he still holds the distinction of most all purpose yards in a single season

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The record states "season", so he broke the season record. Sanders holds the per game number