• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Did DAT give Stanford tackling fuel?

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But do you think it actually affected the game? Alabama probably tried to keep them from scoring at the end of the game but it's not like that affected the actual results. Do you think Stanford is not going to try to keep Oregon from scoring every time their on defense anyway, at least until the game is out of hand?

Maybe since he said that we'll see Oregon go for it on fourth down if their up 35-17 with a few minutes to go in the fourth quarter.

I do think Alabama played a bit smarter and more intense game against Ole Miss than I have seen them play against a few other teams. That was one complete game that night. The offense played well, the defense was as good as some of the past years teams that had very dominant defenses all year. I do think Bo's words had an extra motivation factor that allowed Alabama to get into their heads during the game and i have seen it happen other times. as well with other teams.

UNA Lion

Roar Lions & Roll Tide!
Hoopla Cash
$ 756.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But do you think it actually affected the game?
Actually, I do. Remember that these are 18 to 22-year old kids, who are easily fired up over minutia that most adults learn to overlook. Moreover, football teams (especially good ones) have a lot of pride in their team, and they see reckless commentary from opposing team members as attacks against their own team's honor.

Heck, I saw the same thing time and again even in the Army with competitions between small units. One loudmouth would say something derogatory about another unit that was perhaps less qualified, and the comment motivated the "underdog" unit to work even harder and excel where they otherwise had proved either unwilling or incapable.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think Alabama played a bit smarter and more intense game against Ole Miss than I have seen them play against a few other teams. That was one complete game that night. The offense played well, the defense was as good as some of the past years teams that had very dominant defenses all year. I do think Bo's words had an extra motivation factor that allowed Alabama to get into their heads during the game and i have seen it happen other times. as well with other teams.

Last question...

Do you think Stanford needs any added motivation for a Thursday night game against a top 3 team in the country? That's the biggest difference in Ole Miss - Alabama and Stanford - Oregon. Bo's comments might've brought out Alabama's best in their game, but I can't imagine Stanford not being focused, not playing intense until they hear that DAT thinks they can score 40.

I can't imagine Stanford playing more intense, focusing more, wanting to win more, and needing any more motivation for this game. I can understand if Alabama played with more intensity than they otherwise would've against Ole Miss because it was just another game. This is certainly not just another game for Stanford. Do you think if AJ McCarron would've guarenteed a national title the week of the Notre Dame game Notre Dame would've tried harder, focused more, etc?

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, I do. Remember that these are 18 to 22-year old kids, who are easily fired up over minutia that most adults learn to overlook. Moreover, football teams (especially good ones) have a lot of pride in their team, and they see reckless commentary from opposing team members as attacks against their own team's honor.

Heck, I saw the same thing time and again even in the Army with competitions between small units. One loudmouth would say something derogatory about another unit that was perhaps less qualified, and the comment motivated the "underdog" unit to work even harder and excel where they otherwise had proved either unwilling or incapable.

That's different because the comments are effecting effort and causing the other units to work harder. If Stanford needs a comment to help them work harder for this game then they were already in trouble. I think these teams will be bringing their best effort for this game, and if they need a comment to help them play hard that's kind of poor coaching on Shaw's part.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can tell you that the Ole Miss coach forced three or four 4th down calls trying to score to back up Bo's claim. I can tell you that Saban left the defense in tact for almost the entire game to stop them from scoring and pulled out all the stops to ensure it. I was told by a source on the team that it was known among the players and staff that if they did score, Saban was not going to be pleased and it would be felt in future practices. He wanted his team to make a statement, and they did, Ole miss cannot score on anyone, just teams not named Alabama. And so far that has held true.

You must not have watched video. Wasnt along the same lines as Wallace. And also, Ole Miss aint Oregon and Stanford aint Bama.... Huge difference for a guy saying that towards Bama, a team they rarely beat, vs a team like Stanford to Oregon, who Oregon has beat 10 of last 13....

Here is video of the OH SO CONTROVERSIAL comment:lol:
De'Anthony Thomas on Oregon-Stanford: 'We should score at least 40' | OregonLive.com

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last question...

Do you think Stanford needs any added motivation for a Thursday night game against a top 3 team in the country? That's the biggest difference in Ole Miss - Alabama and Stanford - Oregon. Bo's comments might've brought out Alabama's best in their game, but I can't imagine Stanford not being focused, not playing intense until they hear that DAT thinks they can score 40.

I can't imagine Stanford playing more intense, focusing more, wanting to win more, and needing any more motivation for this game. I can understand if Alabama played with more intensity than they otherwise would've against Ole Miss because it was just another game. This is certainly not just another game for Stanford. Do you think if AJ McCarron would've guarenteed a national title the week of the Notre Dame game Notre Dame would've tried harder, focused more, etc?

I have never said they needed the extra motivation, i only asserted that it will be seen as disrespect and used as extra motivation.

I will give you an example and its apples to oranges, but it fits here. When I played High school ball in Alabama, i played for a small (at the time) 1A type school, very small school and the team played kids both ways most of the game. We had a team we were playing that was a not even a rival that had a RB that was a beast. He looked like a man among boys and was hitting teams for almost 200 a game. Not one team had slowed him down and they had played some good teams that year already. It was in their local paper that he was on record as saying he would run wild on our team and expected the game to be a blowout.

Our coach posted this article on the bulletin board in our gym, our locker rooms for practice, our field house at the stadium and on the boards around the halls at school. On friday night we were as pumped as i can ever remember our team being. We held this kid to his season low of 72 yards on 27 carries and he didnt score all night. We lost two players in the game, one for the year with a torn shoulder muscle, but we won the game(that propelled us to a state playoff spot) and all on the strength of a few words of disrespect by an opposing player. so yes, words can be a motivating factor and used as extra motivation if done correctly Saban knows how to use this tool well. Notice LSU's fronts are all quiet this week, wonder why?

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never said they needed the extra motivation, i only asserted that it will be seen as disrespect and used as extra motivation.

I will give you an example and its apples to oranges, but it fits here. When I played High school ball in Alabama, i played for a small (at the time) 1A type school, very small school and the team played kids both ways most of the game. We had a team we were playing that was a not even a rival that had a RB that was a beast. He looked like a man among boys and was hitting teams for almost 200 a game. Not one team had slowed him down and they had played some good teams that year already. It was in their local paper that he was on record as saying he would run wild on our team and expected the game to be a blowout.

Our coach posted this article on the bulletin board in our gym, our locker rooms for practice, our field house at the stadium and on the boards around the halls at school. On friday night we were as pumped as i can ever remember our team being. We held this kid to his season low of 72 yards on 27 carries and he didnt score all night. We lost two players in the game, one for the year with a torn shoulder muscle, but we won the game(that propelled us to a state playoff spot) and all on the strength of a few words of disrespect by an opposing player. so yes, words can be a motivating factor and used as extra motivation if done correctly Saban knows how to use this tool well. Notice LSU's fronts are all quiet this week, wonder why?

I don't think Stanford has room for extra motivation is all I'm saying. If Stanford wouldn't have brought their A+ game for a Thursday night football game against the number 2/3 team in the Nation those guys don't deserve to be on the football field.

I also remember in high school we were playing a team that was way better than us from our county and we were told by people at the other school, and players on the team that the game would be over by halftime. It was. We wanted to win that game more than any game any of us had ever played, but it was never close. It's not like when we were told we were going to lose we could focus any harder or whatever. We didn't play any harder because we were told we sucked. We played as hard as we could, and we would've regardless of what the other teams were saying because it was the one game on our schedule that we wanted to win more than any others.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You must not have watched video. Wasnt along the same lines as Wallace. And also, Ole Miss aint Oregon and Stanford aint Bama.... Huge difference for a guy saying that towards Bama, a team they rarely beat, vs a team like Stanford to Oregon, who Oregon has beat 10 of last 13....

Here is video of the OH SO CONTROVERSIAL comment:lol:
De'Anthony Thomas on Oregon-Stanford: 'We should score at least 40' | OregonLive.com

No i didnt watch the video, just read the article. Taken out of context is nothing new in journalsm today, so it would not surprise me at all.

I know Oregon probably has this game, but someone needs to cause a stir this week so you guys will take satisfaction if you win, otherwise its just another week and another opponent.:lol:

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Stanford has room for extra motivation is all I'm saying. If Stanford wouldn't have brought their A+ game for a Thursday night football game against the number 2/3 team in the Nation those guys don't deserve to be on the football field.

I also remember in high school we were playing a team that was way better than us from our county and we were told by people at the other school, and players on the team that the game would be over by halftime. It was. We wanted to win that game more than any game any of us had ever played, but it was never close. It's not like when we were told we were going to lose we could focus any harder or whatever. We didn't play any harder because we were told we sucked. We played as hard as we could, and we would've regardless of what the other teams were saying because it was the one game on our schedule that we wanted to win more than any others.

But you cant tell me that motivation doesnt work and thats all i am pointing out is that this could be the one thing that gives them a little extra spring in their steps towards playing this team. Its not uncommon at all.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No i didnt watch the video, just read the article. Taken out of context is nothing new in journalsm today, so it would not surprise me at all.

I know Oregon probably has this game, but someone needs to cause a stir this week so you guys will take satisfaction if you win, otherwise its just another week and another opponent.:lol:

Faceless opponent. :lol:

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BWB, i left the link on page 3 at the bottom in that post i asked if you had seen the video.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Faceless opponent. :lol:

Sorry i forgot the faceless part.

Got to try and rustle jimmies, its just not my normal thing, so I suck at it.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you cant tell me that motivation doesnt work and thats all i am pointing out is that this could be the one thing that gives them a little extra spring in their steps towards playing this team. Its not uncommon at all.

You're right. Motivation absolutely works. Thursday night against Oregon on National Television is motivation. If those kids need extra motivation then they're in college for the wrong reasons. If it was a game against Cal or against Boise State then I can understand Stanford playing harder and using the motivation. But, I don't see a team having room to be even more motivated for the biggest game of the year.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry i forgot the faceless part.

Got to try and rustle jimmies, its just not my normal thing, so I suck at it.

After the season I will give you some tips.

Not during the season cuz I dont want you rustlin my jimmies....:suds:

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bo Wallace thought his team could score on anyone, but his words changed likely changed that outcome. They rpobably would not have won the game, but Bama would not have gone lights out to the end to stop them from scoring. funny how just the right little thing can supercharge a situation into being a difference in a game. Just one tiny little word or set of words that shows immense disrespect(such as this surely did to the Stanford defense) can be all it takes to make this a closer game. This was not a smart move on his part, but this is just one man's opinion.

Oregon scores 40 plus on Stanford every year since 2005 but one. Stanford already knows Oregon will probably put up 40. As for Bama not trying hard to keep opponents from scoring late in game, remember ND? Saban was furious his D allowed points late in the game. If inccuring Saban's wrath isn't motivation enough then I don't know what is for a Bama player

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vegas odds have Oregon scoring 36 on Stanford

over under is 61.5 and spread is Oregon by 10.5

so that would be Oregon winning by a score of 36 to 25.5

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Short answer. No.

Stanford has done a nice job of limiting Oregon's offense recently. But, Stanford's defense isn't as good as it has been. I'm just not sold that Stanford can stop Oregon again.

Pregame speeches and "bulletin board" material rarely if ever make a huge difference in the outcomes of games. Stanford players may have a little more adrenaline early on, but it won't last all 4 quarters.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Short answer. No.

Stanford has done a nice job of limiting Oregon's offense recently. But, Stanford's defense isn't as good as it has been. I'm just not sold that Stanford can stop Oregon again.

Pregame speeches and "bulletin board" material rarely if ever make a huge difference in the outcomes of games. Stanford players may have a little more adrenaline early on, but it won't last all 4 quarters.

in last years game, yes they limited Oregon. Never except for that one game. Other than last year Oregon has scored at will on them.

Hopefully more like all the other years and not last year.

Which is what I am thinking will happen as well