• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Diaz vs McGregor

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is an interesting matchup although McGregor had a full training camp & Diaz is taking the fight on 10 days notice. McGregor hasn't respected any fighter in the UFC except Holloway who was able to take his aggressive style and force McGregor to go for takedowns. Holloway is the only UFC fighter that is close to his size that he has fought in the UFC. There is no plan B for McGregor in this fight with Diaz. Taking down Diaz would be a bad idea for him. I rewatched the Diaz vs Gomi fight and it reminded me that Diaz also has some power in his left hand. I think what will make McGregor uncomfortable early on is Diaz's long reach and right hand jab. If I was Diaz's coach I would advise him to use trips, judo throws, or a single or double leg takedown (whatever it takes) to bring McGregor down and show him what gracie jiu jitsu is all about.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is an interesting matchup although McGregor had a full training camp & Diaz is taking the fight on 10 days notice. McGregor hasn't respected any fighter in the UFC except Holloway who was able to take his aggressive style and force McGregor to go for takedowns. Holloway is the only UFC fighter that is close to his size that he has fought in the UFC. There is no plan B for McGregor in this fight with Diaz. Taking down Diaz would be a bad idea for him. I rewatched the Diaz vs Gomi fight and it reminded me that Diaz also has some power in his left hand. I think what will make McGregor uncomfortable early on is Diaz's long reach and right hand jab. If I was Diaz's coach I would advise him to use trips, judo throws, or a single or double leg takedown (whatever it takes) to bring McGregor down and show him what gracie jiu jitsu is all about.
I love watching the Diaz brothers fight, but I think Nate gets knocked out in this one. Diaz is best when fighting shorter fighters where he can utilize his reach advantage. It will be minimal against McGregor (76" to 75")
When Diaz uses his jab and reach to pepper shorter fighters, the strikes add up, as does the damage.
McGregor's striking, movement and ability to counter strike will win him the fight.
Diaz's best chance is to get it to the ground, but I don't see him fast enough to take him down naturally, so he will have to try trips or sweeps.
I love that this is the replacement fight. The newsconferences leading up to the fight will be just as enjoyable as the actual fight.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McGregor took this fight because he is expecting a stand up fight. Diaz seems to fight like he has something to prove with his punches. He seldom even uses his kicks. Holloway used the push kick to McGregor's lead leg/knee really well when they fought. Diaz uses takedown attempts even less than he uses kicks. Diaz can box. I think he's proven that already. He has a chance to prove that he can win against a champion. Diaz usually has great endurance but his lack of a training camp puts him at a disadvantage in this fight, particularly in the later rounds. That is even more reason to get the fight to the ground. I agree his best chance is with trips or sweeps. McGregor will be trying to avoid clinches and grappling exchanges. Diaz has judo throws also in his arsenal if the fight goes to a clinch.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McGregor is susceptible to take downs by natural wrestlers. He has exceptional balance so I don't think he avoids clinches, as I think he will be stronger than Diaz. Grappling I completely agree -- he definitely doesn't want to go to the ground with Diaz.
I think it will be all standing, lots of trash talking, but McGregor's power will be the difference.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you haven't seen it, this is great

Skip to 27:00

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect Diaz to come out angry and aggressive and Connor is going to stay composed and KO Diaz early. If Diaz wants to have a chance, like what was already said, Diaz needs to take it to the ground and work for the submission. Diaz needs to win at all costs but I see him gambling and going for a KO.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Diaz is a bitch so I'm all for him getting his ass handed to him. Skillwise he's essentially one level above a gatekeeper. Good enough to to beat many fighters, not good enough to beat any contenders continuously. That said, I wouldn't be all that shocked if he somehow pulled the upset since its a short notice fight. Crazy things can happen when neither guy spent months training for a specific opponent.

Xulu Bak

Hoopla Cash
$ 148.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Diaz is dangerous on the ground because of his length/technique, but he's not especially good at getting fights to the ground via takedown. He usually gets them there with striking and/or simply wearing his opponent down. That doesn't seem like a particularly viable strategy vs McGregor.

I'm curious to see how/if the fight being at 170 will factor in though. Hopefully, it doesn't go to decision. After Fight Night London, I've lost what little faith I had in the morons scoring fights. Their either corrupt or incompetent.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Diaz isn't knocking McGregor out... He rarely knocks guys out.. This is either going to be a knock out win for McGregor or a decision win for McGregor because there is next to no way Diaz gets a decision win... and he isn't knocking him out either.

Xulu Bak

Hoopla Cash
$ 148.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Diaz isn't knocking McGregor out... He rarely knocks guys out.. This is either going to be a knock out win for McGregor or a decision win for McGregor because there is next to no way Diaz gets a decision win... and he isn't knocking him out either.

I think it's very unlikely to go to decision, but it's just as hard to imagine Diaz standing with McGregor for five rounds, so he'd almost have to get the fight to the ground and/or turn it into a grueling grappling match for that to happen. If Diaz does that, then I could see him wearing McGregor down and get an ugly decision; although, I think his best chance is by submission.

To be clear, I think McGregor will win by KO/TKO in one, maybe two.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's very unlikely to go to decision, but it's just as hard to imagine Diaz standing with McGregor for five rounds, so he'd almost have to get the fight to the ground and/or turn it into a grueling grappling match for that to happen. If Diaz does that, then I could see him wearing McGregor down and get an ugly decision; although, I think his best chance is by submission.

Diaz would have to absolutly dominate to win by decision.. there is no way he wins a close decision or a "dirty" decision as you call it. Diaz wins this by submission or TKO.. and the odds of that happening aren't very good.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Diaz has a hell of a chin and is much bigger than McGregor.. he is 3 inches taller and naturally bigger... I doubt he is knocking him out in 1.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is this still five rounds?
Is there a belt on the line?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this still five rounds?
Is there a belt on the line?

All main events are 5 rounds. It's not for the belt. They're fighting at welterweight (170) so McGregor is moving up 2 weight classes

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All main events are 5 rounds. It's not for the belt. They're fighting at welterweight (170) so McGregor is moving up 2 weight classes

Copy that. Main events are usually for a belt. They always refer to rounds 4 & 5 as the "Championship Rounds".

I knew it was at 170, which is two above Conor's belt and 1 above Nate's usual.
Does Nick fight 170, or 185?

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick had most of his fights at WW 170 lbs, in Jan. of 2/15 though he fought Anderson Silva at Middleweight 185 lbs. Nick Diaz had multiple defenses of his WW title in Strikeforce. He lost a decision to GSP for the WW championship in the UFC. Diaz is a big southpaw with the same reach as McGregor. The Diaz brothers have trained together for years. If McGregor doesn't land the KO shot he's looking for early in the fight there may be a point where he wonders what he got himself into with choosing Nate Diaz for the fight. I think McGregor will get hit more in this fight than any fight he's had in the UFC unless he gets submitted or gets a KO from his left early.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McGregor is giving up a lot of size. Will his power be the same against a much bigger fighter? That said Diaz's only chance is to get it on the ground. But if he does he has a very good chance.
I agree that if Diaz can stay out of trouble through the first McGregor might have a wtf moment.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dana was scrambling! :pound:

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:D

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McGregor landed the first punch at the weigh in. It was a cheap shot to Diaz's hand/wrist. Diaz seems to be OK. It would be even worse if it were to effect the fight. The UFC treats McGregor a lot different than other fighters. He gets to pick his fights. He can even take a swing at an opponent before the fight without any consequence. I'd like to see Diaz give McGregor a setback in his career. If McGregor fights anyone other than Edgar or Aldo in his next fight then the UFC has allowed McGregor to make their organization even less fair to the other fighters. If the UFC allows McGregor to keep fighting at other divisions then he should have to vacate his belt.