• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

DH Compromise

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me start by stating that I am still not a fan of the DH. But this idea MIGHT be enough of a compromise to allow NL fans to accept the idea...

The DH is attached to the pitcher. If the pitcher is taken out, so is the DH, and a new DH must be inserted. The DH does not have to be announced until the spot comes up in the lineup, though (so you can burn 3 pitchers before announcing the new DH, conceivably). At the start of the game, however, the starting DH is "attached" to the starting pitcher.

This puts a cost to pulling your pitcher and continues to emphasize the depth of the roster, while still allowing 9 "batters".

I think the rosters would need to be expanded to 26 or 27, though.

Thoughts?

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty interesting concept. Did you come up with this or is someone suggesting something like this?

Yeah, I say leave the game alone. Strip the replay, keep the game it's meant to be. But that is beside the point.

How about we add another level of strategy to this? How about if you're not required to have a DH? Pitcher can bat for himself, but the roster stays expanded? Or you can choose to insert a DH with any pitching change?

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do away with the DH rule all together...never understood why the MLB instituted it. IF ya play in the game, you bat in the game. Weak hitting pitchers be part of the "old game"...DEAL WITH IT!

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do away with the DH rule all together...never understood why the MLB instituted it. IF ya play in the game, you bat in the game. Weak hitting pitchers be part of the "old game"...DEAL WITH IT!

I don't care if the AL has it, just keep it the fuck away from the NL where we still play pure baseball.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care one way or the other on the DH but to say this ....

to play full seasons of interleague play and not have universal rules on the DH one way or the other is just asininely fucking stupid.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think I have heard this idea anywhere, but it is possible I read it somewhere and have just been digesting it.

As I stated, I don't want DH. I think it is a bastardization of the game. But there are realities in this world, and one of those is that EVENTUALLY, the NL will adopt it. If this is going to happen, lets un-dig our heels and look at some other solutions that may appease both sides.

As for not having a DH, I think that is a decent idea, that can be addressed by allowing the pitcher to be his own DH. This may actually make the rule simpler to write. As it is, teams do not HAVE to DH for the pitcher. They CAN DH for the SS (for example) if they prefer. I do not believe that has ever been done, though.

Maybe another strategy idea is to allow teams to NOT announce the DH until the spot comes up in the lineup. Adds a bit of flexibility, gamesmanship, and HFA.

OT, I am actually a BIG fan of replay. It can/should be tweeked, but I think it has improved the game by a rather large margin.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care one way or the other on the DH but to say this ....

to play full seasons of interleague play and not have universal rules on the DH one way or the other is just asininely fucking stupid.

I will just bold the only words you should have posted.... The DH rule doesn't need to change. Interleague play need to go away...

But, I will say it is an intersting idea. Especially since many AL teams are already going away from a full-time DH... (But they should defintely not expand rosters!)

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me start by stating that I am still not a fan of the DH. But this idea MIGHT be enough of a compromise to allow NL fans to accept the idea...

The DH is attached to the pitcher. If the pitcher is taken out, so is the DH, and a new DH must be inserted. The DH does not have to be announced until the spot comes up in the lineup, though (so you can burn 3 pitchers before announcing the new DH, conceivably). At the start of the game, however, the starting DH is "attached" to the starting pitcher.

This puts a cost to pulling your pitcher and continues to emphasize the depth of the roster, while still allowing 9 "batters".

I think the rosters would need to be expanded to 26 or 27, though.

Thoughts?
Seems like a new approach and I can see you've put some thought into it but I like the game the way it is in the National League. I know the Players Union will never allow it but I'd like to see the DH abolished.