• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2015 Thread

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome back vice. I dont trust any of the arms at triple a. Competing against minor leaguers is wayyyy different than big leaguers. Im more concerned with what kengel is concerned with though. The 4, 5 in the rotation. Porcello was somewhat replaced but max was not at all. If they just needed a fifth starter I would be ok, but they have two question marks at the end of their rotatiom coupled with sanchez and JVS health concerns the past two years....hopefully their improvements in speed, defense, bullpen and lineup will offset that.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the JV pitches better than last year...he doesn't need to be vintage JV.
and Sanchez is able to stay healthy.
Plus a full year out of Price with him happy to pitch in Detroit.

Then I can see the rotation absorbing Max leaving. Sanchez missed a lot of time so he is somewhat of a replacement. Porcello had a great year last year and can't see him as a long term #1 or 2 but he is going to get paid like that when he hits Unrestricted Free Agency.

Not sure I like Simon as a #5. But the fact we are discussing #5 spots indicates the rotation although not great is good.

Not sure I like the fact the bullpen doesn't look all to differently than last year. Joba for a million is not bad but he could end up blocking a guy like Wilson or Farmer that has higher upsides. If Soria pitches to average the pen is better. If Krol can rebound the situational lefty position is better as well.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over the course of the season a ton of young guys will get call ups. It happens. The arms in AAA and AA are not burning up the top prospect lists, but there are good quality arms there. Unlike the last few years, I don't feel as sick to my stomach if the Tigers need to call up a reliever or starter. I'm not saying I think the Tigers have a ton of future stars... but I think they have legit MLB talent in Ryan, Farmer, Lobstein, Wilson, Nesbitt, and Mercedes. Verhagen I am not high on... but who knows... maybe he can have a hot streak and the Tigers can use him in a trade

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping that a committee of new starters can get the 33 wins that we lost with Max and Ricky leaving.
The rest will take care of itself.

That's maybe the biggest 'if'. Then there's the 11 wins blown by Nathan/Chamberlain combined last season. Can't have that happen again.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scary thing to me is trying to replace Max and Rickeys innings. The bullpen wasnt used much and it was awful. Not looking forward to it being overused.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Innings from Max will be replaced by Price. Remember that Price was only a Tiger for 10 starts or so last year. Any of the young guys can step up and replace Porcello's innings. He had a nice run but he also had a bad stretch late. I could easily see Lobstein or Greene putting up Porcello type numbers. My bigger concern is the top of the lineup getting on base.

Thinking about Scherzer is a waste of time. The contract he got is flat out insane and I am glad the Tigers are not the owners of it. Worst case for this team is that is stumbles this year. Look at how fast the Red Sox were able to rebuild. Its not like the Tigers wont have a ton of money to spend next off season. They have about 60 mil coming off the books. The Tigers slowly need to focus on building a youth core. If I was the old man in charge I would be spending on every international free agent I could that was worth the time of day.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahaha.... Kyle Lobstein.... ERA over 4 in Toledo and Detroit last year.... could give us 200 innings...... Hahaha. That's rich.

The most innings he's reached in any season is 167. With most of those as a 23 year old in AA.

K

kengel6

Bullpen just got a little "lighter" today. Now, can Bruce and Soria make a statement this season?
Time will tell.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping that a committee of new starters can get the 33 wins that we lost with Max and Ricky leaving.
The rest will take care of itself.
Price will get his... So it hinges on Simon to get some. Smyly did not light up the world as a starter, so with Price, Simon and (??? 5th) Should get that and more if healthy.

I realize many of us did not like the pitching moves made the last two seasons. With Miggy's contract (money wise) not many teams can boast about losing 3 quality starters in two seasons and still have 3 in place. I am still sour from the first National we lost. Max does not bother me. He will not be worth his contract. IMO smart not to sign him.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We still have three front-line starters, which a lot of teams don't have. The issue is that Price, to me, is the only sure thing. Verlander has to bounce back from an off year, and Sanchez has durability issues. I think Greene can be a decent #4 or #5. Lobstein is a 4.50 ERA innings eater, at best. I'm not counting on much from Simon as a starter, so anything he provides is a bonus.

I think the Tigers will need to score a lot of runs again this year. They have the lineup to do it.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty shiny and fancy, maybe his pitching will be too? But no doubt he thinks of himself highly.....

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahaha.... Kyle Lobstein.... ERA over 4 in Toledo and Detroit last year.... could give us 200 innings...... Hahaha. That's rich.

The most innings he's reached in any season is 167. With most of those as a 23 year old in AA.

Come on bro... You act like Porcello was some kind of force on the mound. There was a long stretch that I was the only one defending the guy on CBS... and I mean years. Porcello had a decent season last year, but by no means was it something that is not matchable by a guy like Lobstein, Greene, or a combination of a few of the young guys. I am sure we will see Kyle Ryan, Farmer, Lobstein, Greene, and Verhaagen all in the #5 spot at some point this year... and being honest... I would have the same confidence in them that I did every time Porcello went out to the mound last year.

Porcello is what he is. A #3 on a average team or a #4-5 on a good team.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and Kyle lobstein and the rest of triple a are not that.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guys at triple a combined can be at least a game or two above replacement level. Saying they can't is almost comically pessimistic.

Prior to last year Porcello never threw 200 innings... never had an era under 3.9 or a whip under 1.25. Acting like last year is the norm for Porcello is crazy. He can be replaced... he is not a top end starter. The difference in outfield defense alone can offset what Porcello brought to the table. I am willing to go out on a limb and say a combination of Lobstein, Greene, and Ryan could pitch a combined 200 innings with a era of 3.9 and a whip of 1.25... pretty much what Porcello is good for.

I would also be willing to go out on a limb and say its not out of the question that Greene could very easily have better numbers than Porcello will have pitching in a bandbox in Boston this year.

I know fans tend to try to find places to nitpick.. but lets be honest.. Porcello's production isn't the difference between a winning season and a losing season on this team. The Tigers season is based on the seasons Price, Verlander, Sanchez, as on a lesser level Simon have in terms of pitching.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats quite a limb to go out on. Sadly, the guys in triple A are garbage. You are right, I do know what porcello brings to the table as I have always been one of his vocal supporters. He brought consistency and an ERA around 4. Guy is just getting into his prime years so theres a very good chance his numbers are more 2014 than 2012. I was actually a fan of the trade though as I believe cespedes in this tigers lineup can put up all star numbers. I dont think, however that porcello is replaced by minor league scrubs though. Tigers four and five spots in rotation will be huge question marks...I like simon at four (his numbers were identical to ricks last year and hes been solid for several years now...but as howie pointed out previously does he have the stamina?

All in all the tigs sacrificed their rotation in order to improve their speed, defense, lineup and pen. I think this team is still faves to win the div.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think Kyle Ryan, Buck Farmer, Kubitza and Ziomek have just as high of a ceiling as Porcello or Smyly. I will agree with you Lobstein and Verhagen are scrubs... and the verdict isn't out on Greene either. He doesn't excite me very much. Keep in mind though that the Tiger's low minors actually had one of the best starting rotations. I am quite sure one of the guys will end up being an decent 5th starter as Lobstein showed last year... all you need is for a guy to have a hot stretch to be a productive 5th guy in the rotation.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My view of the 2015 bullpen... If the young guys step up... it will be fine. If they don't it could be uglier than last year. I don't think Nathan makes it the whole season. If Rondon, Soria, or one of the young guys gets hot... and Nathan stumbles.. I wouldn't be surprised to see him DFA'ed. Tigers have to many hard throwing young guys like Nesbitt, Valdez, and fat boy Mercedes sitting in the minors to let Nathan throw meatballs all year.

dengel6

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the defense is going to be outstanding. Now, keep Iggy healthy, and this will happen.