• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Depth

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mentioned this on the main board in AFCN Hate thread but...

The depth this team has shown in the past 2 years has been incredible. Of course, good drafting is a key - but you also have to get luck, too...

Hendrickson misses time. Hubbard misses time. Reader misses time. You have Hill, Carter, Tupou (who then missed time), Tufele, Ossai, Sample - all guys along the line who stepped up and got it done.

Wilson missed time, you have Pratt, obviously, but he stepped his game way up this year - you have Bailey who has played well - Davis-Gather...

Awuzie filled in last year busting onto the scene for another guy who was injured (guy from Minn...can't remember - Waynes??) Then he goes down, you get competent play out of him, CTB, and Hill (who was drafted as a Safety) and Hilton, who is simply one of, if not THE, best Nickle guys in the game.

Mixon misses time, Perine steps in. You lose Collins - you get Adeniji showing he could be the RT going forward. You lose Cappa - you have Scharping waiting (veteran backup with at least a decent track record) - then you lose Williams - and Carman steps in, for at least a game, and shows - maybe he could just be the LT (Let's face it Williams has been not good at best, and downright awful at worst).

Easy ones, but Chase goes down, Higgins. Higgins misses time you have Chase and Boyd. Even Wilcox has stepped in here and there at TE to backup Hurst when the other TE went down....

I mean....the run is insane.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember the year boyde was our #1. and he was awesome, somehow the bill's complain we have too much money now.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
enjoy it while it lasts.

regardless of what star power we have, I just hope they build a Great Wall of Trump sized wall around Burrow to protect him for the next several years. he's the key to this offense, and a good OL also helps any running back look above average.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after the positive showing against Buffalo, I think we roll with Carman even if Jonah says he can play. a healthy carman is better than a 50% healthy Jonah Williams.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be nice to have Cappa back, but Sharping is not that bad really.

some people are over-reacting I think, although KC does have good DT.

Now, if we have to face SF in the superbowl, we may say we missed our starting tackles.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't want to start a new thread - but this correlates to the depth piece ... along with the known Carman news of him being in top shape coming into the off-season programs there was this bit yesterday:

The other development comes in the body reshaping of 2022 third-round pick Zach Carter. He's put on 20 pounds of muscle to grow to 310 pounds with dedication and tenacity now understanding his role playing inside at 3-technique, backing up B.J. Hill.

Bengals were 13th in pressures, but 27th in sacks. Certainly need more from our edge guys, but getting a push up the middle is key. Seems with the new DE addition from this years' draft, Carter has gone from being a flex guy between DE/DT to full time 3-tech. I like it. If he keeps the same explosion and movement at 310 that he had before - he's going to look to have a really, really good year.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't want to start a new thread - but this correlates to the depth piece ... along with the known Carman news of him being in top shape coming into the off-season programs there was this bit yesterday:

The other development comes in the body reshaping of 2022 third-round pick Zach Carter. He's put on 20 pounds of muscle to grow to 310 pounds with dedication and tenacity now understanding his role playing inside at 3-technique, backing up B.J. Hill.

Bengals were 13th in pressures, but 27th in sacks. Certainly need more from our edge guys, but getting a push up the middle is key. Seems with the new DE addition from this years' draft, Carter has gone from being a flex guy between DE/DT to full time 3-tech. I like it. If he keeps the same explosion and movement at 310 that he had before - he's going to look to have a really, really good year.
It's definitely encouraging. I thought he flashed a little at times last year as a DT - I'm excited to see what he can do in year 2. You have to figure that it is quite a luxury getting to play next to DJ Reader - You get as much one-on-one as possible.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they probably told him what they expected from him and he got right to work. got to like a guy like that.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's certainly telling, and encouraging, when you have guys like Carter and Carman returning in some of the best shape they've been in. Going to create a lot of competition and great depth...as we are all aware of - depth is such a key because injuries are going to happen.

Right now, the only positions I'd say are a bit thin in terms of depth: WR, TE, LB - I think everywhere else, you've got enough guys to move around and make things work. Not perfect, but depth and backups are just those for a reason...but the better those pieces are, especially in rotation, the better this team will be equipped to handle a long season - and Super Bowl Run.

(Did I really just type Super Bowl Run when talking about the Bengals?! Boys, we've come a long way....)

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's certainly telling, and encouraging, when you have guys like Carter and Carman returning in some of the best shape they've been in. Going to create a lot of competition and great depth...as we are all aware of - depth is such a key because injuries are going to happen.

Right now, the only positions I'd say are a bit thin in terms of depth: WR, TE, LB - I think everywhere else, you've got enough guys to move around and make things work. Not perfect, but depth and backups are just those for a reason...but the better those pieces are, especially in rotation, the better this team will be equipped to handle a long season - and Super Bowl Run.

(Did I really just type Super Bowl Run when talking about the Bengals?! Boys, we've come a long way....)
I actually think WR and LB are okay. TE and QB though, those are the weak depth positions to me.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think WR and LB are okay. TE and QB though, those are the weak depth positions to me.
Meh.... Who has a good back-up QB? I think Siemian is a fairly big upgrade from Brandon Allen. Regardless, if Burrow misses extended time, the season will be sunk anyway. And the same is true for KC, Buff, LAC, Jax, or any of the other contenders in the AFC.

I think we're probably in as good or better shape at tight end than we were last year. We have a former high draft pick on a prove it deal (just like last year) and presumably a healthy Drew Sample. Asiasi is back and he is also a good blocking tight end. So, at the very least, we have two guys that can serve as good blockers even if something happens to Smith.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh.... Who has a good back-up QB? I think Siemian is a fairly big upgrade from Brandon Allen. Regardless, if Burrow misses extended time, the season will be sunk anyway. And the same is true for KC, Buff, LAC, Jax, or any of the other contenders in the AFC.

I think we're probably in as good or better shape at tight end than we were last year. We have a former high draft pick on a prove it deal (just like last year) and presumably a healthy Drew Sample. Asiasi is back and he is also a good blocking tight end. So, at the very least, we have two guys that can serve as good blockers even if something happens to Smith.
Just because we are in better shape than last year doesn't give us good depth. Our TE room is pretty bad outside Smith Jr. And yes, if Burrow gets hurt we are screwed, but I think if the rest of the team was healthy, and we had to go to a backup QB, I think we could still win a lot of games to give Burrow a chance to come back and help us in the playoffs if he was to get hurt with a non-season ending injury. I think Browning may be a better overall talent than Siemian, but Siemian has the experience. At what point do you invest in the catastrophic insurance policy?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because we are in better shape than last year doesn't give us good depth. Our TE room is pretty bad outside Smith Jr. And yes, if Burrow gets hurt we are screwed, but I think if the rest of the team was healthy, and we had to go to a backup QB, I think we could still win a lot of games to give Burrow a chance to come back and help us in the playoffs if he was to get hurt with a non-season ending injury. I think Browning may be a better overall talent than Siemian, but Siemian has the experience. At what point do you invest in the catastrophic insurance policy?
90% of the NFL teams have crappy backups, retreads, and has-beens. The reality is - any team that is a SB contender that loses their starting QB is in major trouble.

I'm not as bullish on the WR room...outside of the Big 3, there is experience but a lack of talent or talent with a lack of experience. Hopefully, the big 3 can stay healthy this year and give the young guys time to get their feet wet and learn the league. That's really where my concern is with the WR.

While TE depth isn't bad, there is only 1 play-maker at the position, and he's still unproven. The guys backing him up are more about in-line blocking and have been career backups for a reason.

Every team has a few holes here and there - thankfully, for the most part, the starters across the board are pretty good, and again - for the most part, depth is pretty solid. I do think that out of groups I mentioned (LB, WR, TE) WR would be the best equipped to handle a loss of a major player - young guys just have to be ready. But, the other two spots really don't have the talent in the back drop - maybe experience, but things would change a lot more, IMO.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
90% of the NFL teams have crappy backups, retreads, and has-beens. The reality is - any team that is a SB contender that loses their starting QB is in major trouble.

I'm not as bullish on the WR room...outside of the Big 3, there is experience but a lack of talent or talent with a lack of experience. Hopefully, the big 3 can stay healthy this year and give the young guys time to get their feet wet and learn the league. That's really where my concern is with the WR.

While TE depth isn't bad, there is only 1 play-maker at the position, and he's still unproven. The guys backing him up are more about in-line blocking and have been career backups for a reason.

Every team has a few holes here and there - thankfully, for the most part, the starters across the board are pretty good, and again - for the most part, depth is pretty solid. I do think that out of groups I mentioned (LB, WR, TE) WR would be the best equipped to handle a loss of a major player - young guys just have to be ready. But, the other two spots really don't have the talent in the back drop - maybe experience, but things would change a lot more, IMO.
I just don't think Taylor and staff value the tight end position in the passing game as much as our fans and media expect him to. My assumption at this point is that we'll continue to fill the position with guys on prove-it deals. They certainly haven't been motivated to use draft capital on the position.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think last year I would have said that Philly had the best back-up situation. They had Gardner Minshew..... But honestly, he wasn't really all that good when he got a chance last year. And that Philly team had a great offense - Excellent line with lots of good weapons. Your next best options are probably Jacoby Brisett or Teddy Bridgewater. I think Brisett is pretty good, but he has an 8 million dollar cap hit. Are you really that much better with him and can he really save your season should Burrow be out for a long time? After those guys, you are probably looking at someone like Andy Dalton.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think last year I would have said that Philly had the best back-up situation. They had Gardner Minshew..... But honestly, he wasn't really all that good when he got a chance last year. And that Philly team had a great offense - Excellent line with lots of good weapons. Your next best options are probably Jacoby Brisett or Teddy Bridgewater. I think Brisett is pretty good, but he has an 8 million dollar cap hit. Are you really that much better with him and can he really save your season should Burrow be out for a long time? After those guys, you are probably looking at someone like Andy Dalton.
They labeled Dalton the #1 backup in the NFL on a recent article.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't think Taylor and staff value the tight end position in the passing game as much as our fans and media expect him to. My assumption at this point is that we'll continue to fill the position with guys on prove-it deals. They certainly haven't been motivated to use draft capital on the position.
I think they will draft someone - but that person has to be at the right value. If nothing else, we've seen that this organization has moved away from targeting any specific position and has allowed the draft to flow naturally - no further evidence of that than this past year when they went after yet another Safety. Now that position has real depth and talent, and losing Bates/Bell doesn't seem like such a huge hit. Yes, they will be missed, but the well isn't dry.

I also think that it's calculated because there are positions you are going to spend on, and positions you are not. I think TE is a position that, as long as you have Higgins, Chase, and a viable 3rd WR (This year Boyd, next year one of the current rookies?) - you are right - the offense doesn't "need" a high-end talent at TE. That being said, I think that having a viable TE would take this offense to another level as a guy who can take a 4-8 yard middle route for 15-20 yards - would not only open up the middle of the passing game, it would free up the WR's on the Outside.

But, I think you are pretty much right on it - when listing the values of positions on offense, TE is down on the list.