• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Denver informs CJ Anderson they plan to match Miami's offersheet

BobGnarly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CJ is a popular player in the locker room and really wants to stay in Denver but it seems like the Broncos could have locked him up for a lot less if they had dealt with it earlier and not tendered him so low.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CJ is a popular player in the locker room and really wants to stay in Denver but it seems like the Broncos could have locked him up for a lot less if they had dealt with it earlier and not tendered him so low.

Well positive about this is he is locked in now for 4-years instead of just a 1-year rental.

Honestly I am surprised they matched. I thought the low tender was a sign that they were moving on from him. I have heard he is popular in the locker room but some of the coaches have not always been happy with his work ethic on some things. Throw in his injury history being a bit of a problem. I'm happy he is back but I'm sure they will still bring in a couple more RB's to compete with him for the starter position.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think not putting a second round tender on him was a mistake, but I'm glad they're keeping him. It would have been a bad look to let him go after Elway said they wanted players who want to be in Denver, and CJ clearly does. Now I just hope he can stay healthy.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broncos re-signed restricted free agent RB C.J. Anderson to a four-year, $18 million contract.:suds:

Cue the sad trombone for the Dolphins, who had supposedly structured Anderson's offer so the Broncos couldn't match it. With their quarterback situation remaining unsettled, the Broncos decided they couldn't lose a runner who was easily their best back last season, and one of their most important players down the stretch each of the past two years. Now the undisputed lead back for an offense that will likely be dramatically more run heavy in 2016, Anderson and his three-down skill-set should provide RB1 value in fantasy leagues.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like year 1 is actually a good thing for them...

I thought for sure Miami would frontload that deal to make it hard for Denver to pay. Instead, 675k salary and 5.25 mil signing bonus. That means 1/4 of the signing bonus and 675k is his cap hit. AKA 2016 cap hit is 1.99 mil. Would have been 2.55 mil I believe with a 2nd round tender. Actually means Miami's offer cost them less in 2016 cap space. 2017 of course is more, and more after that (or if he's released before the end of his deal).

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like year 1 is actually a good thing for them...

I thought for sure Miami would frontload that deal to make it hard for Denver to pay. Instead, 675k salary and 5.25 mil signing bonus. That means 1/4 of the signing bonus and 675k is his cap hit. AKA 2016 cap hit is 1.99 mil. Would have been 2.55 mil I believe with a 2nd round tender. Actually means Miami's offer cost them less in 2016 cap space. 2017 of course is more, and more after that (or if he's released before the end of his deal).

I was just running the same numbers. If Miami was trying to make it hard to match, they sure did a crappy job.

All the contract does is make it an expensive contract up front in cash as they need to pony up nearly $8M in cash the moment they sign the agreement. But it doesn't hurt the cap at all. And it's not like the Broncos have ever been afraid to pony up cash during Bowlen's time there (one of the biggest spending team in the league over the years).

Wonder if there is something about these types of guarantees at a time when there are some ownership questions due to Bowlen's battle with Alzheimer's that made the Phin's think that the Broncos wouldn't match.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that Bowlens health had anything to do with it. I think Elway and co have free reign without him there. I think it's more just getting quality players on a SB team.

And I am only catching 5.25 mil up front. The yearly salary will be paid out weekly, and the other 1.7 mil guaranteed will be paid out weekly in 2017 (or the day of his release if it is before that).

And it has been a while since Bowlen has struggled to put up the cash. Of course if Elway had been smart and taken that ownership deal instead... lol

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that Bowlens health had anything to do with it. I think Elway and co have free reign without him there. I think it's more just getting quality players on a SB team.

And I am only catching 5.25 mil up front. The yearly salary will be paid out weekly, and the other 1.7 mil guaranteed will be paid out weekly in 2017 (or the day of his release if it is before that).

And it has been a while since Bowlen has struggled to put up the cash. Of course if Elway had been smart and taken that ownership deal instead... lol

When a contract has guaranteed money in it, the team has to write a check for every penny of that money the moment the contract is signed and it all gets put in an escrow account that the player gets paid out of as the money becomes due.

In a contract like this, that isn't really that big of a deal. However when talking about big contracts it becomes a bigger deal as owners have to cut a check for $59M (in the case of the Dolphins when they signed Suh for instance).

NFL teams make a TON of money but when talking about THAT type of money, even NFL teams worth billions, can have cash flow issues.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When a contract has guaranteed money in it, the team has to write a check for every penny of that money the moment the contract is signed and it all gets put in an escrow account that the player gets paid out of as the money becomes due.

In a contract like this, that isn't really that big of a deal. However when talking about big contracts it becomes a bigger deal as owners have to cut a check for $59M (in the case of the Dolphins when they signed Suh for instance).

NFL teams make a TON of money but when talking about THAT type of money, even NFL teams worth billions, can have cash flow issues.

Interesting.. Is that the full injury guarantee amount too? Or the performance (what most of us call the real guaranteed amount).

Thanks!

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he would've been easily replaced but when I found out his cap hit is less than if Denver originally put a 2nd round tender on him I'm ok with it.