• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Deja' vu

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dammit I want to say the exact same thing I said last year
'I'm not seeing the wins!!!...LA? Az? not seeing it

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just posted this in the other thread, but the offense is going 3-out on 46% of their possessions. That's almost half. When you consider this, and the lack of field positioning...the defense has played pretty damn good ball in the grand scheme of things.

If the offense can look more like the 2nd half offense (redzone INT not withstanding) things get interesting. Of course, now that all hinges on the offense getting back on track and Burrow's calf...which I fear may be a year long issue until he gets the actual time off required to rest it.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think after watching film were going to be making some adjustments. there's just no substitute for gauging how certain players and plays are working out until you see it on the field. At least we don't have stubborn Marvin Lewis running the same out of shape players out to get burned repeatedly when they should have been released.

We know Joe B can do better. he probably needs a week or two to get his leg in shape. not sure he'll get it, but we will see. Higgins is alright, Boyd looks like Boyd. Chase must have been on a multi month bender living the high life, he used to be better. the new tight end is alright, but he's not an all pro. senseless penalties doing us in.

Really, it comes down to this. No team in our division is all that bad. Cleveland and Baltimore could theoretically be just as playoff worthy as any playoff team. Pittsburgh is rebuilding, but could still whoop our asses right now. We can still turn it around in time to earn a wildcard spot, but damn, something is wrong if we have to go through this every year.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just posted this in the other thread, but the offense is going 3-out on 46% of their possessions. That's almost half. When you consider this, and the lack of field positioning...the defense has played pretty damn good ball in the grand scheme of things.

If the offense can look more like the 2nd half offense (redzone INT not withstanding) things get interesting. Of course, now that all hinges on the offense getting back on track and Burrow's calf...which I fear may be a year long issue until he gets the actual time off required to rest it.
Lou has earned the right for us to believe in him figuring it out. The D has talent and they have played in huge games over the years. They've generally come up big when it counts. I think they'll figure something out.

It could also be mentioned that they had very little tape on the new Ravens offense and didn't know how to attack it yet. Lets see what they do next time around.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lou has earned the right for us to believe in him figuring it out. The D has talent and they have played in huge games over the years. They've generally come up big when it counts. I think they'll figure something out.

It could also be mentioned that they had very little tape on the new Ravens offense and didn't know how to attack it yet. Lets see what they do next time around.
Agreed. Like I said, when you consider how poor the offense has played and the position that it is consistently leaving the defense in....they've played damn well.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a duplicate...

lockdownmemes.jpg

The lack of creativity on offense is going to keep this team from reaching full potential. Burrow, Higgins, and Chase will still have their days and win a lot of games (including this year, Burrow's calf not withstanding), but when teams can scheme away your best WR because all he ever gets to run are the same routes over and over again, and take away 50% of the field (the middle)...you've handicapped not only the WR, but the QB as well.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a duplicate...

View attachment 340809

The lack of creativity on offense is going to keep this team from reaching full potential. Burrow, Higgins, and Chase will still have their days and win a lot of games (including this year, Burrow's calf not withstanding), but when teams can scheme away your best WR because all he ever gets to run are the same routes over and over again, and take away 50% of the field (the middle)...you've handicapped not only the WR, but the QB as well.
It's funny because we keep hearing about continuity being a major advantage for the Bengals given that there has been no turnover on the coaching staff. But, to me, it's clear that the offense needs some new ideas. Multiple people have pointed out that the offense has little to no sophistication for presnap motion or other disguises that stress the defense. And, these charts certainly call into question whether we are completely limiting ourselves in the passing scheme.

My main issue with the offensive coaching is that it seems like they have created a weird system that mixes too many backgrounds and doesn't really get anywhere. Burrow wants to run his offense. Pollack wants to run a particular blocking/running game scheme. Taylor wants to (or wanted to) run McVay's wide zone scheme. Callahan likes features from the Manning offense in Denver (this is probably closer to what Joe wants). On Sunday, it looks like they decided to do all of those things - None of them particularly well.

Burrow is here for the long term and you know what he likes. Overhaul the offensive staff and create a coherent system. As good as this group has been at times over the past couple of years, they would be much better in the hands of a different staff.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny because we keep hearing about continuity being a major advantage for the Bengals given that there has been no turnover on the coaching staff. But, to me, it's clear that the offense needs some new ideas. Multiple people have pointed out that the offense has little to no sophistication for presnap motion or other disguises that stress the defense. And, these charts certainly call into question whether we are completely limiting ourselves in the passing scheme.

My main issue with the offensive coaching is that it seems like they have created a weird system that mixes too many backgrounds and doesn't really get anywhere. Burrow wants to run his offense. Pollack wants to run a particular blocking/running game scheme. Taylor wants to (or wanted to) run McVay's wide zone scheme. Callahan likes features from the Manning offense in Denver (this is probably closer to what Joe wants). On Sunday, it looks like they decided to do all of those things - None of them particularly well.

Burrow is here for the long term and you know what he likes. Overhaul the offensive staff and create a coherent system. As good as this group has been at times over the past couple of years, they would be much better in the hands of a different staff.
The guy who would fit best in space with his ability to separate and shift, as well as get up to top speed quickly has ZERO targets over the middle in 2 weeks...How does that happen? Chase is so much more than just a deep guy...If you can get Higgins 3-4-5 targets over the middle, certainly you can find ways to get Chase the same?

Your point is spot and goes with what I've been saying...Taylor needs to give everything up and hire a real OC and give him full control on how the offense needs to run. To many corner pieces to the puzzle, and not enough middle pieces that connect things. Everything is disjointed.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
both teams we played seemed to have no problem matriculating the ball