• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Defensive Coordinator...

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Gus is really waiting on Lynn, and that is the hold up, at what point do the Skins say fuck it? Do we really want a guy to run half of the team who doesn't REALLY want to be here?

If I can see what's going on, you know the players can.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Gus is really waiting on Lynn, and that is the hold up,
He hurt himself saying that publicly IMO. Would have been smarter to hold that thought closer to his vest.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really a good read from Jerry...

Excerpt

The first thing you need to understand about Bradley, who interviewed Wednesday to run the Washington Redskins’ defense, is that he was the most important lieutenant in engineering the most influential defensive creation in this pass-centric era of the NFL. And Bradley did it while learning Carroll’s mismatched concepts on the fly.

“He’s the best teacher I’ve ever been around,” Carroll once told me about Bradley. “He’s so thorough, so thoughtful, and he’ll go to such lengths to find ways to make sense of the information so the guys can understand it in practical ways. It doesn’t matter how good we teach. It’s how well they learn. I think that connection is really clear with Gus. He’s great at it.”

This is why Bradley is a good fit to overhaul Washington’s defense. As I’ve written before, the franchise needs a coordinator who has the creativity and coaching acumen to build a competitive defense on a team spending the majority of its resources on offense. Although Bradley has adopted from Carroll what seems like a simple system — more on that later — it’s his flexibility and experience with making a defense fit its personnel that matters most.

Perhaps you must meet Bradley to comprehend what he brings. He’s an upbeat, energetic coach who commands respect without screaming and cursing. Seahawks players used to compare his manner to Tony Dungy, only he can be much more spirited. Fired coordinator Joe Barry acted similarly, and his exuberance helped elevate the defense’s effort to an acceptable level. But Bradley combines his personality with better play calling and teaching.

His system is interesting. As a pro coach, Bradley was raised in Monte Kiffin’s Tampa-two system, the same as Carroll. But when Bradley became Carroll’s coordinator, they went for something different, and Bradley brought many of those concepts with him to Jacksonville. It’s a 4-3 defensive front, not the 3-4 that Washington currently uses, but there are a lot of 3-4 concepts employed. People get caught up in 4-3 vs. 3-4, but here’s the deal: The Washington defense is so bad that scheme continuity is irrelevant. Many of the pieces were going to change, regardless of coordinator or scheme. And the players who absolutely should be retained on the defense — cornerback Josh Norman and outside linebacker Ryan Kerrigan being the stars among them — are versatile enough to play in any defense.

On the surface, everything Bradley wants to do, everything Seattle still does, is simple. The unit plays a lot of cover-three, meaning the two outside cornerbacks and free safety play zone by splitting the field into thirds and four other defenders cover everything underneath.

There’s very little deception to this defense. The cover-three is so basic that many high school teams teach it. Bradley would be the first to admit that he’s not going to fool you with schemes. What’s innovative is the way the personnel is used to tweak a rudimentary defense to the special skills of the athletes. Some critics say that the defense only works with extraordinary talent. But if you consider how few players have succeeded after leaving Seattle, you can counter that talent looks extraordinary in the system because the coaches spend so much time melding it to the athletes’ specifications.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerrys take...

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I want a guy that isn't scratching and clawing for this job. The minute he has to discipline someone, I can already see some players under their breath complaining abut how "the only reason you're even here is cause your man Lynn got passed over. Man he don't even want to be here."

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well well well...Wade Phillips...

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
phillips will come phillips will go at the end we are stuck with munsky because of grudenpoop

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was my 1a. Fingers crossed.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Keim on Twitter: "1 thing to keep in mind: if you're a wanted DC do you go to team w/coach in 4th yr who might end up on hot seat or w/1st yr. job security."

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would honestly not surprise me at this point. Another young up and comer with talent.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting listen...

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I want a guy that isn't scratching and clawing for this job. The minute he has to discipline someone, I can already see some players under their breath complaining abut how "the only reason you're even here is cause your man Lynn got passed over. Man he don't even want to be here."

And what exactly would these players do in this situation? If you believe that any of them would underperform then this hurts the player much worse than it hurts the team. Maintain that attitude & you are out of the league in short order. Regardless of the coach if the system is working players will rally behind it if they have a decent attitude. If they don't then perhaps they shouldn't be on the team anyhow.

I am sure that most/all of the Redskins players will just be thrilled with a switch from Barry. All of this other BS about the current selection process is really more important to fans & not players. Players realize that this is their job & they need to be professional & act accordingly & I am sure that they will in the case of the Redskins defense.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you not see and hear the open difiance from Baker, RJF, and Breeland? All three of those guys are still here and Barry is gone.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You gotta be able to own the room man. Gregg would have owned that room. Don't get me wrong Gus was three on my list behind Wade and Gregg, and he still is, but I'm starting to have reservations about a guy that obviously is waiting on Lynn and hopes to use us as a safety net if Lynn strikes out.

That automatically cost him some credibility in the locker room. Trust me. Some will be giving him the side eye from day one.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As expected, Gus is the first choice for Lyn as DC and is going to interview for the Chargers...