• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

DEFENDERS engaging with blockers????

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question for the class: why do defensive guys lock up with offensive guys? Do they not know it is the offensive guys that have to engage them. The defensive guys job is to get around blocks.

I understand assignments in special teams, etc.
but once again, on this latest Texas td, we saw a db engage with a receiver instead of trying to get around for a tackle.

I've seen it as long as I've been watching football. It's the strangest thing.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just got home and didn't see the aforementioned play you're referencing. However, D linemen engage/occupy as many blockers as possible to keep the LBs free to come in to tackle. CBs will also engage a WR to help set the edge and keep a runner inside to allow the rest of the team (namely LBs and safeties) to make the play. If they allow the runner outside of them, then it's certainly a big gain.

While you'd love to shed the block and make the tackle on your own, percentage wise, it's better to engage first and keep outside leverage to keep the play inside rather than work around and leave yourself vulnerable to being sealed off. You play your assignment and your fellow defenders should be able to play their one-on-one matchup to make the play. When you decide to go above your assignment, 9 out of 10 times (completely made up stat), you'll give up a bigger play. You've got to trust your teammates and scheme to do their job. Outside of a running QB, there will always be a couple free defenders to make the play.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because you'll take yourself out of the play if you try to run around the block, as opposed to taking it on? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question...