• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Defence Corps

Devs_Jets_Yanks27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Haven't posted in a long time, but read it every day.

With Larsson, there is a glut of D-Men.

My questions, who is staying/going, and where do they start the season?

Volchenkov
White
Tallinder
Larsson
?Salvador?
Leach
Greene
Corrente
Urbom
Taormina
Merrill
Burlon
Fayne
Fraser
Salmela

I presume/assume that Volchenkov/Tallinder/White are locks.

Drafting Larsson IMO means no reason to re-sign Greene.

Thoughts?

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im drooling over the potential a group like Larsson volchenkov tallinder Merrill urbom and maybe gelinas could have in about 3 years

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Volchenkov (Here)
White (Here)
Tallinder (Here)
Larsson (SEL)
?Salvador? (Here)
Leach (AHL)
Greene (New Team)
Corrente (AHL at best)
Urbom (AHL)
Taormina (Here)
Merrill (NCAA)
Burlon (AHL)
Fayne (Here)
Fraser (Gone)
Salmela (Here)

We'll prob bring in a mid to low pairing dman as insurance, because that's how we do it.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i really think larsson will be taking greene's job. i truely believe it.

in no particular order i think next year you'll be seeing....

a-train
tallinder
white
larsson
salvador
fayne

then maybe salmela

urbom will get another year of seasoning and spot duty for injuries.

then i'd expect white and salvador will both be let go to FA and you'll see urbom go full time w the big club and merrill debut

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, post more often :D

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, post more often :D

Agreed, you and RP need to be on here more. I really hope we resign Greene.

Tallinder/Volchenkov
Greene/Salmela
White/Larsson

Will this happen? Probably not, but that's my ideal scenario. Bury Salvador in the minors for a year and don't let Fayne anywhere near this roster ever again.

kellmit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it will look like
A-Train/White
Tallinder/Larsson
Salvador/Urbom

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Im drooling over the potential a group like Larsson volchenkov tallinder Merrill urbom and maybe gelinas could have in about 3 years

I'm drooling over the fact that out of our 5 top Defense Prospects, Burlon is the smallest at 6'1. Tallinder, ATrain, and Whitebeard are all very big also. The Devs are gonna have a very physically imposing defense with all these guys.

Devs_Jets_Yanks27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With Lou's track record with 1st rounders, I highly doubt Larsson will start the year with the big boys. (Wasn't Gomez the last one in 99?)

Correct me if I wrong, but didnt Merrill sign a contract and skip his final year(s?) in college, or was that Burlon?

If it were me making the decision, I'd like to see

Volchenkov/Tallinder
White/Taormina or Urbom
Larsson/Fraser or Fayne

Let Greene go, save the money for future contracts of Larsson/Merrill

I seriously think that Lou is gonna squeeze that tit dry with Bryce and the LTIR if he can.

Last edited by a moderator:

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Burlon wanted out of Michigan and should be in the AHL next season. Merrill will probably be at Michigan for another 2 years.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There's no reason to rush Merrill. He and Urbom are still a bit raw, but the talent is there, it just doesn't come to the forefront consistently. I went to all but 1 of the preseason games and Urbom was lights out one shift, then made a rookie mistake. He'll be amazing once he's matured.

RE: Mark Fayne

I can't believe how low people on here are regarding him. He was one of the key factors in that massive run. His average ice time basically doubled as the season went on and he was one of Lemaire's favorite guys. He's not going to put up points, but he was very solid, and made no money. The kid went from a -7 under Jmac to a +17 under lemaire, I don't know how much more you want out of a minute eating, minimum salary 2nd pairing guy.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Regarding the size of our prospects. They're all man-beasts.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And guys its gone under the radar but gelinas apparently had a fantastic year in st. John and many compared him to Chris pronger

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And guys its gone under the radar but gelinas apparently had a fantastic year in st. John and many compared him to Chris pronger

Fantastic is almost an understatement. Right now Urbom, Henrique, and Gelinas are looking like some excellent 2nd round+ prospects. In fact, I've got to believe that Urbom and Gelinas are looked at almost identically by management at this point.

Also, it's my understanding that Gelinas is a converted forward, so he should have some of that offensive flair we need on the back end, and not the kind Eckford provided.. haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fantastic is almost an understatement. Right now Urbom, Henrique, and Gelinas are looking like some excellent 2nd round+ prospects. In fact, I've got to believe that Urbom and Gelinas are looked at almost identically by management at this point.

Also, it's my understanding that Gelinas is a converted forward, so he should have some of that offensive flair we need on the back end, and not the kind Eckford provided.. haha.

yes he is. i really think this D is geared for a return to prominence in the near future.

expect to start drafting forwards in the next couple drafts lol.

say in 3 years our d is what i posted before.

volch
tallinder
larsson
merrill
urbom
gelinas
(as the primary 6)

you have a true stay at home, make life hard on the offense guy in volch.

tallinder is a true 2 way, not spectacular at anything but capable of just about everything, and the guys got a tremendous reach

larsson, an amped up version of tallinder, but with some snarl too. not to mention while being just as big, he's known to have very good offensive skills, including a bomb or a shot

merrill, the TRUE paul martin replacement, and i've seen the guy live, he's a bonafide clone. extremely smart, can run a power play and makes a great first pass.

urbom, see tallinder

gelinas, not quite the bone crusher volch is but will also pressure the puck and make life hard on opposing forwards, big shot, and a good first pass, not too mention hes got a bit better foot movement than volch.

thats a pretty frigin good sounding d.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Know what I love most about this list?

volch 6'1"
tallinder 6'4"
larsson 6'3"
merrill 6'3"
urbom 6'5"
gelinas 6'4"

When Anton Volchenkov who is "strong like bull" is your smallest defenseman, you have a formula that is the opposite of Andy Greene. Also, Adam Larsson could end up being 6'5" easily. In fact, prob all of these guys besides the two currently on the roster are still growing.

KingOfNJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Damn, didn't know these propects were so tall, can't wait to see how some of these guys do in camp this year.

Also, no love for Mark Fayne? I thought he played great in the second half. He was prone to taking some bad penalties, but I'll take him on the third line pairing any day, especially with his cheap salary

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Damn, didn't know these propects were so tall, can't wait to see how some of these guys do in camp this year.

Also, no love for Mark Fayne? I thought he played great in the second half. He was prone to taking some bad penalties, but I'll take him on the third line pairing any day, especially with his cheap salary

<--- Thinks Mark Fayne is a good player. :nod:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It appears you and I are on 2 different wave lengths.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It appears you and I are on 2 different wave lengths.

Here come the stats!

Mark Fayne had the second best relative Corsi on the team behing Henrik Tallinder. Essentially the Devils had a positive differential of 7.7 scoring opportunities when Fayne was on the ice. Tallinder was 8.4 and led defensemen. Fayne did this while facing the third highest quality of competition at 5v5 trailing only White and Tallinder.

White's corsi is atrocious, but he faces the highest quality competition of all the defensemen.

Fayne also has the lowest Goals against/ 60 minutes of any regular defensemen. Stats don't lie!