• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Devils Make Lots of Cuts Merrill/Gelinas back to AHL Severson back to JR

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Who's Gone:

AHL
Goalies:

Scott Wedgewood
Defensemen:
Brandon Burlon, Eric Gelinas and Jon Merrill
Forwards:
Stefan Matteau, Rod Pelley, Tim Sestito and Mike Sislo

JRs
Defenseman:
Damon Severson was returned to Kelowna (WHL).

Who's Left:

Goaltenders (3): Martin Brodeur, Keith Kinkaid, Cory Schneider.

Defensemen (8): Mark Fayne, Andy Greene, Peter Harrold, Adam Larsson, Bryce Salvador, Alexander Urbom, Anton Volchenkov, Marek Zidlicky.

Forwards (17): Krys Barch, Steve Bernier, Damien Brunner, Ryan Carter, Ryane Clowe, Patrik Elias, Stephen Gionta, Adam Henrique, Jaromir Jagr, Cam Janssen, Jacob Josefson, Andrei Loktionov, Rostislav Olesz, Michael Ryder, Mattias Tedenby, Travis Zajac, Dainius Zubrus

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Obviously the fact Urbom is vulnerable to waivers was a big factor here. Not to mention that Zids and Lars have looked pretty darn comfortable on the PP. Greene has played there for a long time too. Gelinas will prob be the first called back up in the event of an injury. Let him keep playing down there.

Lou said once they signed Brunner that he had some work to do to get to the final cuts.

With 8 D you can only carry one extra forward. So 4 guys need to be gone (or trade some d). Obviously Barch and Cam are the two biggest candidates. I would expect the final 2 to come from Olesz, Teds, Gionta, Carter.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Realistically who is tradeable?

I think moving Tedenby and JJ makes the most sense.

Id hate to cut a guy like Gio or Carter and then have Olesz or Tedenby go down 10 minutes after hitting the ice. With injury history with those guys and Clowe , we need all the forward depth we can get. Not to mention the possibility of Jagr playing all 82 games is about zero.

Lou has his work cut out for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Realistically who is tradeable?

I think moving Tedenby and JJ makes the most sense.

Id hate to cut a guy like Gio or Carter and then have Olesz or Tedenby go down 10 minutes after hitting the ice. With injury history with those guys and Clowe , we need all the forward depth we can get. Not to mention the possibility of Jagr playing all 82 games is about zero.

Lou has his work cut out for him.

I don't want to be rude here, but if you're crazy if you want to trade those two to keep Carter and Gio.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I rather trade one of em and get something out of it over releasing a player who has earned their spot.

Neither Tedenby or JJ have earned playing time. All I hear about it their potential but you have one guy that is a career underachiever and another who cant stay on the ice.

If I had to guess were going to keep 13 forwards..Jagr , Zajac , Elias , Clowe , Ryder , Henrique , Loki , Zubrus and Brunner are all locks.

Id rather have a 4th line of guys that have played with each other and have been productive then a makeshift line of JJ , Tedenby , Olesz.

Last edited by a moderator:

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Honestly, I'm a big fan of Gios but the advanced stats show that he's the weakest between him, carter, and bernier. JJ's just as good as Carter at this point, if not better. I think he's quite the upgrade.

So, unless someone is going to trade us a 1st rounder for Teds or JJ, not a chance I'm trading them to keep one of the 4th liners.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
peter fucking harrold

Makes perfect sense as a spare D man. Not highly paid, he can play forward in a pinch and you don't want Gelinas or Merrill sitting in the press box. Im fine with Harrold in that role, much better than one of the kids.

So yes...Peter fucking Harrold.

I do want to see Gelinas up this year though.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If were going on pure talent , skill and ability then yes Carter and Gio are 4 and 5 on that list.

But sometimes chemistry outweighs those other three.

Granted if I had to make a bet on it I do think both JJ and Teds will make the cut. Im just not thrilled about it.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh, btw just in case anyone is interested in getting rid of an old Parise jersey. If you have the replicas (the ~$150 ones, not the $250 ones) they'll replace the nameplate on it for only $15 at the team store. So if Teddy sticks, I'm getting it upgraded instantly.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm, I don't think that'll work for my USA Parise jersey. It would certainly be unique.