• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

De Aza traded to Boston

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's surprising. O's will get some money for a guy they were willing to eat all of his salary.

TheWHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am really going to miss De Aza....not. I have no idea why the Orioles thought he was worth $5 mil. What has he ever done in his career? He was hot for a few months when the Orioles obtained him. But his career numbers are cruddy and the real De Aza showed up for 2015. At least they got a little something back from his contract. With the way Lough is performing recently I think the O's need to make a move soon for Reimold. Young is starting to heat up again at the plate and finally hit a HR. Maybe he realizes somebody is knocking on the door to take his spot.

TheWHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In return for De Aza the Orioles have gotten some cash considerations and minor league pitcher Joe Gunkel

Gunkel is 6'5'' 225lbs and has made a nice, steady progression from rookie ball at age 21 to AA ball where he is now at age 23. He's been used as both a starter and a closer. He strikes out about a batter per inning, doesn't walk a lot of guys, but from just looking at the numbers alone it looks like he might be in the zone a bit too much as he allows a good deal of hits.

Last year when he made the jump from A ball to A+ ball, he allowed 62 hits in 52 innings at the higher level. This season when he went from A+ ball to AA ball he has allowed 26 hits in 18 innings. After walking only 4 batters in 22 innings at A+ ball, he's walked 8 in 18 innings at AA.

That being said they did get a guy that might have a future in return for an overpriced De Aza that the Orioles were probably going to get rid of anyway.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ODAY: Boston will pay around $1MM of De Aza’s remaining salary, Tim Britton of the Providence Journal report on Twitter. That’s no small amount, of course, but it does mean that Baltimore retains most of the financial burden going forward.