• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Dbacks vs. Indians

Goldy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,059.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaaaaaaaand, Wasted opportunity.

BPNAZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goldschmidt is just a mess right now. Just takes a pitch on 2-1 count right down the middle that last year he would have sent into the pool

then, as has been the increasingly norm this year............strikes out

now 5 for his last 23. Hes clearing pressing, and you can tell he feels he has to do it all by himself

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My pun jokes suck. I guess you can say they relate to Gibby during his "private meetings".

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goldschmidt is just a mess right now. Just takes a pitch on 2-1 count right down the middle that last year he would have sent into the pool

then, as has been the increasingly norm this year............strikes out

now 5 for his last 23. Hes clearing pressing, and you can tell he feels he has to do it all by himself

TRADE HIM FOR GRIT. EVERYONE PANIC!!!!

BPNAZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly can't remember the last time this team got a 2-4 run lead early in a game and held on to the end

seems every fucking game this team is behind by atleast 2 runs by the 2nd or 3rd inning. Its getting old real fast, and actually been getting old for a good 2 months now

can't wait till deadline

Goldy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,059.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can't wait till deadline

The deadline scares me. I'm not sure what kind of value anyone that is for sale can bring. That being said, I'm gonna hang on tight.

Goldy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,059.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3-0. Someone kick the bat rack.

BPNAZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
down 3 runs with heart of lineup coming up, and why are we trying to steal 3rd base with 1 out??

whats the god damn fucking purpose for that?? I mean, is this for real?

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The deadline scares me. I'm not sure what kind of value anyone that is for sale can bring. That being said, I'm gonna hang on tight.

Exactly. I feel like we're just going to sell low on a bunch of players that would normally have higher value. Gotta hope Hill & McCarthy heat up and that Arroyo, Trumbo and Chavez all get healthy soon.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VIA MLBTR:

Though his ERA and win-loss record aren’t much to look at (5.38 and 1-10), Diamondbacks right-hander Brandon McCarthy is drawing trade interest, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (Twitter links). A free agent at season’s end, McCarthy has about $4.72MM remaining on this year’s $9MM salary — the second year of a two-year, $15.5MM pact he inked in the 2012-13 offseason. Rosenthal notes that Arizona is likely to make multiple trades before this year’s deadline.

While McCarthy’s season looks rough on the surface, there are a lot of factors suggesting that he could quickly turn things around. McCarthy’s .339 batting average on balls in play is 44 points higher than the league average, and he’s sporting the best ground-ball and K/9 rates of his career (55.9 percent and 7.4, respectively). His fastball velocity has soared from an average of 90.8 mph over the past two seasons to 93 mph, and he’s sporting his best swinging-strike rate since 2006 as a result. McCarthy has mostly been plagued by home runs this season, but his fluky 21.7 percent homer-to-flyball ratio figures to come down.

There’s not much question that McCarthy will be available in trades. As Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports, the Snakes are said to be preparing to put a “for sale” sign on their roster and are weighing trades of multiple veteran players. GM Kevin Towers — who, despite the hiring of Tony La Russa, calls this July business as usual — told Piecoro: “[W]e have to look at being more open-minded of moving some contracts and some veteran players for younger players.”

A fire sale may not be as easy for the D’Backs as it would for most teams, however, Piecoro cautions. McCarthy and fellow veterans Cody Ross and Aaron Hill are underperforming this season, which will hurt Arizona’s potential return in trades. Other movable veterans such as Eric Chavez, Bronson Arroyo and Mark Trumbo are all currently on the disabled list.

One scout told Piecoro that the left-handers in Arizona’s bullpen — Joe Thatcher and Oliver Perez — figure to be of interest to other clubs. Both have enjoyed strong seasons to this point. Thatcher is a free agent at season’s end, while Perez, who signed a two-year deal this winter, is controlled through 2015. That same scout said he is intrigued by Gerardo Parra, but noted that the outfielder’s declining speed is a concern.

Towers noted to Piecoro that he would be reluctant to move young, controllable players such as Didi Gregorius and Triple-A shortstop Nick Ahmed (presumably, Chris Owings falls into that category as well).

Goldy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,059.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And of all those names, none of them will bring anyone of any significance back. Salary dumps mostly.