• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dbacks send Segura to M's for Walker & Marte

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, the big question is if within that performance is a real improvement that is useful. Seattle probably thinks so for them to pull the trigger on this trade. Projections usually don't adjust all that quickly to big changes in performance from what I have seen ala Steamer, ZIPS, etc.

This is pretty true. It will be interesting to monitor his 2017 performance.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Segura's a good 1, Seattle did good in getting him.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious to hear @Davis_Mike, @Omar 382, @StanMarsh51, @Villain, @The Derski, @navamind, etc. take on this trade.

I will now finish my self induced exile from Dbacks discussions.

My take is that the Dbacks probably got the better of this deal. Seattle is playing for the next two years while the Dbacks are hoping for the best while playing for the future.

Personally, I like this deal for the Dbacks, they definitely got more future potential out of this deal. But I do think Segura can sustain his production from last year & will produce more in 2017 than what the Dbacks received. His swing change & added patience at the plate should carry forward.

Most Dback fans assumed a Segura trade was incoming due to his salary & the glut of players we have for middle infield positions.

Overall, I like this trade.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greinke
Walker
Ray
Bradley
Miller

Moving Corbin & Rubby to the pen? Shipley and Koch still there, so there's depth and talent. Could move a starter now? Hoping Tomas gets shipped to an AL team for a reliever.

RDLR had stem cell or PRP therapy recently to avoid TJ. He may need TJ anyways if that doesn't work. Corbin should be in the BP to start the season, but I definitely could see him not wanting to make the move, so that couls mean a possible trade. He just hasn't been the same since TJ surgery. If ship can't beat out the arms for a rotation spot, he should start the season in Reno. I don't think Koch is a starter in the long run. He & Godley can battle it out for a BP role.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good info, Podunk. I've liked Walker for quite some time now, back when he was a top prospect a couple years back. Hope he can start to put it together but him pitching in Chase scares me a bit with his HR rate. Think we sold high on Segura and kinda bought low on Walker.

Here's what you're getting:

- Segura: After back to back disappointing years in Milwaukee and the death of his child he really needed a fresh start and going to a hitters park like Chase did help him quite a bit, but his swing looked really good last year. I do think his average will drop more toward the .275-285 range which is around his career mark of .280, and the power will take a dip from 20 without a doubt... a lot of the fence scrapers he hit in Chase will be doubles in most parks. The speed is there, his defense wasn't bad overall. He makes some amazing plays but then sometimes screws up on routine plays at times. He played mainly at 2nd last year for us so I didn't get to see him play a ton of short which is what he will play for you with Cano in the fold so I can't really give you a great answer on that.

Overall I think his #'s will all trend down, but not by a ton. He had a great year that I don't think will be replicated.... I could see ~.280 AVG, 10-15 HR, 25-30 SB, 100+ R, with a drop in his OBP (guy's career OBP is baaad) but I think it's a move that makes sense for Seattle. Plug him in front of Seager, Cruz and Cano and he will generate tons of runs.

-Haniger: Put up good numbers in the minors but a lot of that had to do with the inflated #'s put up in AAA Reno, I think he could be a solid 4th OF with some spot starts now and then, but nothing more. Good arm defensively, doesn't cover a ton of ground but not a complete liability either. Will be 26 by the start of the 2017 season so a bit old for a prospect.

-Curtis: Has some upside, could be a decent reliever in a year or two. Put up great numbers in the minors but got shelled in his brief MLB stint. Relievers are hard to guess on when they're this young.

I somewhat agree with this.

Segura - His personal tragedy had a lot to due with production drop off in last seasons in a Brewers uniform. He made some minor tweeks to his swing while also being slightly less aggressive in 2016. That resulted in a career high 5.6% BB%, which is more than double his previous high. I doubt the HR power will transition to safeco but the gap power should still be their. He is due for a drop-off consider he sustained a 353 Babip for entire season last year. I personally prefer him at 2B over SS, but should still be a good defender at SS. His arm is there but his range & glove isn't top notch.

Haniger - He is a late bloomer. Major overhaul of his swing prior to 2016 which incorporated a leg kick. Doing so changed his career. He has some life in his bat when he makes contact. He should make the team a fourth OF who can play above average defense at all three positions. Definitely not a liability in the field.

Curtis - He is fringy at best. A short(5'9") guy who was forced into MLB duty straight from high-A due to injuries. Nothing overpowering & definitely needs some seasoning at the higher levels before he can be looked at for a BP role.

TheDman875

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Segura will have Edgar Martinez working with him as well who is a tremendous hitting coach for these kids. He turned Trumbo's career around in Seattle before he went off to Baltimore and had a monster season and also got Cano going again.

I think Arizona will love Walker if he gets more consistency which I think he will. He was either unhittable or was shelled last year (no in between) but he was pitching through some nagging foot injuries most of the season. His stuff is electric and can top the gun at around 96-97. You have a lot to be excited about with him.

Marte is a project, but has shown flashes. He was brought up too soon in Seattle and might need to spend some more time in the minors.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Arizona taking a chance here.

This also gives them a chance to maybe move guys like Bradley and Shipley to fill another hole if they want to (although Shipley to the bullpen could be an interesting move).

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the move for both teams, but it's kind of surprising how little the Mariners are getting for Walker. A fews ago they wanted Corey Seager, Julio Urias, and Joc Pederson.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the move for both teams, but it's kind of surprising how little the Mariners are getting for Walker. A fews ago they wanted Corey Seager, Julio Urias, and Joc Pederson and a pony.
ftfy

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously. Now he gets Segura. If I'm a Dbacks fan, I love it. Sell high on Segura / buy low on Walker. I'd be a lot more apprehensive as a Mariners fan, but as a Mariners fan I'd probably also have some prospect fatigue.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His Steamer projection for 2017 isn't great. .283/.325/.413, 91 wRC+.

Considering what Marte gave them at short last year, that's still a giant upgrade

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously. Now he gets Segura. If I'm a Dbacks fan, I love it. Sell high on Segura / buy low on Walker. I'd be a lot more apprehensive as a Mariners fan, but as a Mariners fan I'd probably also have some prospect fatigue.

I like this for the Ms. I don't see Walker living up to the billing he originally had a few years ago. Selling low? Yes, but there's a chance the value only gets lower. Like the OP mentioned, he does have a long ball issue which could easily get worse in AZ. Also has struggled to develop his secondary pitches. He will look dominant at times but will also drive you crazy.

Kinda think Haniger will be the key on which side "wins" this deal

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even prior to the trade, the Mariners SP depth left a lot to be desired. Felix just hasn't looked very good since the 2015 ASB and I get the feeling his best days are behind him. I still think he can be a very good pitcher, but I think his days of being a CYA contender are over.

Yep I agree. I would assume the rotation gets addressed in the next couple of months. However with what's out there it would have to be via trade likely

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Segura could bolster what was one of the best lineups in the AL last year. Mariners finished 3rd in runs scored and OPS+. Their 107 wRC+ was 2nd in all of MLB behind only the Red Sox.

It'll be interesting to see if Zunino can continue improving. He still K'd an awful lot this year, but he did draw walks at a decent rate (10.9%) while flashing some serious power (.262 ISO). Despite a BA barely above .200, he managed a 115 wRC+.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Vogelbach will be a pretty good hitter as well, especially if his power translates in the majors.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Vogelbach will be a pretty good hitter as well, especially if his power translates in the majors.

Engelberg!

Can you help me make this nickname a thing? Excepting that he's not a catcher it's so perfect.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like a good trade for the D-Backs. It'll be tough to replace Segura's 2016 production, but I'm so sure Segura is able to replicate those kinda of numbers as Omar and others have posted. D-Backs do have some question marks in the rotation and Walker presents considerable upside. Not sure what to make of Marte, but I wouldn't expect him to be an above average offensive SS. They got two younger players that are under control longer than Segura.

Mariners did get an intriguing OF prospect in Haniger.

or not