• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dave Roberts / Managing In The World Series

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seemed Roberts was too hyper in pitching changes. And I know Roberts has always had a quick hook. Rich Hill was jerked after giving up one run. (twice) Hill gave up just two runs total, in two starts.

Roberts started Darvish in his second start, after Darvish had looked miserable in his first start. (A big mistake, after the Dodgers had tied the Series up the night before. The momentum was clearly on the Dodger's side.)

Roberts used Murrow in the strangest parts of games. (virtually every game) And wasted him against one batter, and lost him for the game.

He seemed to protect Bellinger, who hit .143 in the series. And the Astros exposed Bellinger's weakness.
Three of the Dodger's lefties can't hit "down and in" breaking balls.

The Dodgers probably had the superior team (265 million dollars worth), but it didn't end up that way.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seemed Roberts was too hyper in pitching changes. And I know Roberts has always had a quick hook. Rich Hill was jerked after giving up one run. (twice) Hill gave up just two runs total, in two starts.

Roberts started Darvish in his second start, after Darvish had looked miserable in his first start. (A big mistake, after the Dodgers had tied the Series up the night before. The momentum was clearly on the Dodger's side.)

Roberts used Murrow in the strangest parts of games. (virtually every game) And wasted him against one batter, and lost him for the game.

He seemed to protect Bellinger, who hit .143 in the series. And the Astros exposed Bellinger's weakness.

The Dodgers probably had the superior team (265 million dollars worth), but it didn't end up that way.

I think Roberts has a pretty good series overall.

The morrow thing in game 7 was probably his worst move, but that didn't cost him.

Not bringing him in for Springer cost him more, but even then you're using him for one out.

Darvish was on a killer run before game 3, so one bad start really wasn't enough to lose faith. There was an argument for starting Kershaw on 2 days rest, but that wasn't a slam dunk either.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention the Dodgers bullpen had been lights out and him going to the pen worked.. Just didn't this time in Game 7... Darvish was due to have a bad game, unfortunately for the Dodgers it was in the biggest game.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think Roberts is a good manager. The Dodgers came up a half-a-step short. If he ever manages a WS again, I think he'll learn from his mistakes but I agree with @The Q , he didn't have a terrible series. The Dodgers were in position to win and he is young for a manager in only his 2nd year in that position.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think Roberts is a good manager. The Dodgers came up a half-a-step short. If he ever manages a WS again, I think he'll learn from his mistakes but I agree with @The Q , he didn't have a terrible series. The Dodgers were in position to win and he is young for a manager in only his 2nd year in that position.

Hard to really blame him for game 2 or game 5. Up 4-0 and 7-4 with kershaw on the mound, you expect to win those 2.

Sometimes the players just have to execute.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darvish was on a killer run before game 3, so one bad start really wasn't enough to lose faith. There was an argument for starting Kershaw on 2 days rest, but that wasn't a slam dunk either.

I have no issue with the decision to go with Darvish to start Game 7. However, he looked shaky in the first - I know there was an error, but he was hanging his breaking stuff.

I can even understand going back to him in the 2nd, but the Astros already had two on the board and given the way Darvish shit the bed in Game 3, I think they should have had a reliever warmed and ready in the bullpen at the start of the inning.

Personally, I think Darvish should have been pulled after he walked McCann, and certainly after he gave up the double to Gonzalez. Instead, they let him face three more and he served a meatball to Springer (who'd doubled in the 1st).

Dodgers ABs would likely have been very different had they been down 0-2 instead of 0-5.

I can't say that Roberts unequivocally cost the Dodgers the game, but he definitely fucked them early.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That'd be an interesting discussion. I'm not sure I agree with you (not sure I don't). Astros offense was significantly better than the Dodgers, but the Dodgers pitching was significantly better than the Astros.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The morrow thing in game 7 was probably his worst move

Yeah, letting Darvish throw the junk he'd been tossing to Springer with two on, down by two in the second of Game 7 was no big deal at all. . .

I swear, sometimes I think this "The Q" account is used by multiple people.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't mean to be a dick and blame a series on 1 guy, buy how do you keep running Bellinger out there when they obviously have him figured out? He left a ton of runner's on and killed a lot of innings.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't mean to be a dick and blame a series on 1 guy, buy how do you keep running Bellinger out there when they obviously have him figured out? He left a ton of runner's on and killed a lot of innings.

he struggled, but he was also one of the best hitters in the NL this year. Who else were they going to play at 1B, a washed up Adrian Gonzalez? Logan Forsythe?

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he struggled, but he was also one of the best hitters in the NL this year. Who else were they going to play at 1B, a washed up Adrian Gonzalez? Logan Forsythe?

Something, I don't know. Hind sight is 20/20.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a bit surprised at how far ahead the Indians rank ahead of everyone else.

That's because you're a dumbass.

tumblr_nlcxt7TRyX1rfd7lko1_500.gif
Just kidding, buddy. I couldn't resist because I'm an asshole.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not surprised they were #1 (the pitching staff was historically good and they had good offense/defense), but they're 8.7 WAA ahead of the closest team (Yanks). That's crazy.

A lot of good that did us.

Fucking crapshootidity.

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roberts is overjetered.

Makes moves just to make moves.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For all the good that Roberts did, he will be remembered for not starting Kershaw in game 7

Darvish???????

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For all the good that Roberts did, he will be remembered for not starting Kershaw in game 7

Darvish???????

we don't know how well Kershaw would have pitched either? Yes now it's easy to say he SHOULD have started but no one truly could have predicted Darvish would blow chunks like he did

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we don't know how well Kershaw would have pitched either? Yes now it's easy to say he SHOULD have started but no one truly could have predicted Darvish would blow chunks like he did

My point being is that if Kershaw was rested enough to pitch 4+ innings of relief, then he could have started.

Why not use your best horses?