• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Daniels versus Beane

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:playball:

What do you guys think are the biggest differences between Daniels approach to building a team's and Beane's approach? Personally, I am not a fan of Billy Beane but they did have a heck of a run for a long time. Seems to me that Daniels loves the high upside guy with lots of tools whether that is a pitcher or whether that is a position player. He also seems to be very good at trading guys who are no longer in the organizations plans and getting back guys who have a great chance at contributing.

I also love the kinds of guys this organization drafts, develops and trades for. I think he is statistically savvy like Beane but I see the biggest difference is that he doesn't substitute stats for scouting. I think there is no secret that they've built one of the finest scouting departments and developmental system ever assembled. And for the most part, Daniels accomplished most of this with a cash strapped owner.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The preceding post was brought on by the movie commercial being played incessantly on the pregame show.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
True, but JD and the organization are very fortunate that Hicks got out when he did. Checks will have to be written, which is why Beane couldn't keep it going in Oakland.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems to me that Oakland won because they had a bunch of guys on roids to complement their splendid rotations.

Rangers have a lot of guys who have all the tools. They've got at least 4 or 5 guys on the team that are as good as it gets defensively. I'll say Kinsler, Andrus, Beltre, Gentry, and Hamilton. Plus they have killer speed and the lineup is loaded but balanced. A's always had plodders who could jack one every now and again.

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They minor league system that JD built far exceeds the one that Beane built. I never remember hearing about the A's farm system like we hear about the Rangers farm system now. From the scouting down to the coaches JD has done a great job of building our franchise. We have minor league managers and developmental staff that others want to hire. Our franchise is built to be a dynasty.
While Beane deserves credit for what he did it's not as impressive as what JD has done. How long did the Moneyball era last, 3-4 years? And as Ginger pointed out their offense was aided by steroids. What has happened to their team since then? What has their minor leagues looked like. It seems that Beane may have in a way hit the lotto with his theory but has done nothing to prove he's a great GM since. He may be a good GM but I don't think he's a great GM like the media makes him out to be.

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know as much as I hate the A's the previews to moneyball actually made me want to watch it.

Bean, "We want you to play first base."
Scott H, "I've only played catcher."
Beane, "It's not that hard Scott. Tell him Wash."
Wash, "It's incredibly hard."

I bet they don't show wash saying, "That's the way baseball go."

When are they going to make a movie about how JD turned our franchise around? After what 2-3 world series championships? Who plays JD in the movie? More importantly who plays Ron Washington?

Last edited by a moderator:

Orion9897

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Honestly, JD is a way better GM in the approach to building a team from the ground up. But Billy Beane is still a very smart GM, just has a horrible franchise to work with. Imagine how much we would be praising JD if Hicks was still the owner? Sure JD did some good things with Hicks there but nothing like the freedom he's been given with Nolan and Co. That freedom will also carry out for years (hopefully) and our franchise will be considered a top team because of his great decisions.

On a side note, I'm completely excited for this movie. People can finally see all the work, scouting, and effort it takes to build a sucessful baseball team. We're the only Major League sports to have an extensive minor league system and so many players that never develop. Plus, I was sick of the Baseball Movie extent going to Major League or Rookie of the Year. Any Given Sunday was an amazing take on the NFL and the behind the scenes works within an organization. Its baseball's turn.

AGZBASEBALL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
JD well exceeds Billy Beane. But He now has a Organization with Deeper Pockets. That helps a lot. Beane did gey lucky to hit with a Few Front Line Startes in Zito, Mulder and Hudson from their system. But the Moneyball Era ended in 2006. Oakland was in the ALCS that year against Detroit. Got Swept. Haven't been back since. Still plan to see the Movie. Always interesting to see the behind the scenes look at a Sports Franchise. Came out a few Years to late. Half a decage ago now. A Good Movie could be made about the 2010 Texas Rangers.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
:playball:

What do you guys think are the biggest differences between Daniels approach to building a team's and Beane's approach? Personally, I am not a fan of Billy Beane but they did have a heck of a run for a long time. Seems to me that Daniels loves the high upside guy with lots of tools whether that is a pitcher or whether that is a position player. He also seems to be very good at trading guys who are no longer in the organizations plans and getting back guys who have a great chance at contributing.

I also love the kinds of guys this organization drafts, develops and trades for. I think he is statistically savvy like Beane but I see the biggest difference is that he doesn't substitute stats for scouting. I think there is no secret that they've built one of the finest scouting departments and developmental system ever assembled. And for the most part, Daniels accomplished most of this with a cash strapped owner.

I agree that JD has led a very strong move by TEX in scouting, drafting, getting contracts signed (for the most part), and developing new talent.

Where JD and the group have been very effective has been on its international acquisitions. Most effective though when comparison with OAK are in the standings the past two years as TEX on field performance showed the results of JD and the management team moves.

Only areas where I feel there may need to be improvement is in catching scouting and development.

Desertdawg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
One thing you can't forget is that Billy popularized the metrics system and not many if any teams were using or not using it as much. It's a good system and now you have virtually all teams using it. That's a lot more competition on one system. I like to think that JD includes the system but he also looks at the character, potential and other intangibles of a player. The Rangers have shipped a few players who's character didn't fit the team they were building. Or I may just be blowing smoke. LOL

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing you can't forget is that Billy popularized the metrics system and not many if any teams were using or not using it as much. It's a good system and now you have virtually all teams using it. That's a lot more competition on one system. I like to think that JD includes the system but he also looks at the character, potential and other intangibles of a player. The Rangers have shipped a few players who's character didn't fit the team they were building. Or I may just be blowing smoke. LOL

Very true, Beane popularized a whole new way of scouting, based on metrics

And its true most GMs including JD use it

And also true that JD looks at other factors including character and other factors

Good post

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting side note, and I'm not sure if it's been mentioned or not, but I just looked up Moneyball on imdb and ROYCE CLAYTON is playing Miguel Tejada lol