• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dana goes some fixin' to do

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Jim will appreciate this part of the article… Dave goes back to the past… and brings out some facts.

Random factoid No. 1: West Virginia has been playing football for 121 years and 1,226 games. Only twice have the Mountaineers endured a worse 20-game stretch: 1-17-2 between 1959 and 1961 under Pappy Lewis and Gene Corum and 3-17 between 1977 and 1979 under Frank Cignetti.

Random factoid No. 2: Lewis and Corum are in both the WVU Hall of Fame and the West Virginia Sports Hall of Fame. Cignetti is now in the national College Football Hall of Fame.

I say… well done Dave.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And, I know DAD will appreciate this…

First, he has completed just three seasons and only two recruiting classes. Yes, the results have been awful in terms of wins and losses. Holgorsen started out 15-3 and he's 6-14 since. And yes, he won 15 of 18 at the start with a roster largely recruited by someone else. But he's also lost 14 of 20 with a roster largely recruited by someone else.

You can't say he started out 5-0 in 2012 with Bill Stewart's players and finished 2-6 with his own. Doesn't work that way. The fact is he went both 15-3 and 6-14 predominantly with Stewart's roster, which accounted for all of the third-, fourth- and fifth-year players this year and all of the second-, third-, fourth- and fifth-year players last year. His players last year were freshmen and this year were freshmen, redshirt freshmen or sophomores. (Thus, the influx of gap-filling junior college players and transfers).

I know Jim's WV connection of 78 told him I was Full of Shit with my explanation for JUCO's, so it looks like Hickman is full of it too…

JIMKOON

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Jim will appreciate this part of the article… Dave goes back to the past… and brings out some facts.

I say… well done Dave.

Just leave me out of your discussions please. I won't trash your world anymore, so leave mine alone.

JIMKOON

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And, I know DAD will appreciate this…

I know Jim's WV connection of 78 told him I was Full of Shit with my explanation for JUCO's, so it looks like Hickman is full of it too…

I had simply relayed the comments of men I have respected for many years. In this world we all have different opinions, it doesn't mean I'm right, your wrong. As I've already said, nobody gives a shit what old men think, we are past our prime, and that past that we are told to respect, we lived. No big fucking deal. I ask again, please leave me out of your discussions I will leave you to your opinions, leave me to my last ones.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There has been some recent speculation that the Strength and Conditioning coach might be let go. I am no expert in this area, but suffice it to say... since his arrival... we have seen the O-line struggle. I am no football coach, but their strength and conditioning may be a factor. I know they have had a number of different coaches in a short time period. Certainly that will affect their performance as well.

The other concern I have is the condition of the team. I know the boys have played a lot of snaps. But, the defense's performance is noticeably worse late in the game. They don't seem to be able to stop anyone in the 4th qtr. When you see them doing so early in the game, I cannot imagine all success of our opponents late in the game is due to half-time... or in-game adjustments.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There has been some recent speculation that the Strength and Conditioning coach might be let go. I am no expert in this area, but suffice it to say... since his arrival... we have seen the O-line struggle. I am no football coach, but their strength and conditioning may be a factor. I know they have had a number of different coaches in a short time period. Certainly that will affect their performance as well.

The other concern I have is the condition of the team. I know the boys have played a lot of snaps. But, the defense's performance is noticeably worse late in the game. They don't seem to be able to stop anyone in the 4th qtr. When you see them doing so early in the game, I cannot imagine all success of our opponents late in the game is due to half-time... or in-game adjustments.

I think its funny that they blame injury's on the S&C Coach...are you friggin kidding me!!:lame:

Injury's happen...and when you are playing a high percentage of kids as Freshmen they are physically going to be less developed than the Juniors or Seniors across the line from them...think about it...a S&C coach has 90 days to work with these kids once they graduate HS and hit campus...and I don't see how a S&C Coach is responsible for a QB taking shots on a Football field!!.....:doh:

JIMKOON

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its funny that they blame injury's on the S&C Coach...are you friggin kidding me!!:lame:

Injury's happen...and when you are playing a high percentage of kids as Freshmen they are physically going to be less developed than the Juniors or Seniors across the line from them...think about it...a S&C coach has 90 days to work with these kids once they graduate HS and hit campus...and I don't see how a S&C Coach is responsible for a QB taking shots on a Football field!!.....:doh:

I agree!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess it depends on the nature of the injury.

I agree with you about the injuries to the Fr, RS Fr, and true SO. Unfortunately due to a lack of numbers and depth, these young kids have been forced onto the field the past two years before they were ready.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got nothing against Mike Joseph, that same S&C coach helped develop Sted, Geno, Tavon , and Irvin.. Nuff said. We need to be VERY careful with that position IMO, that coach has more contact with the kids than anyone else, it's a vital position on the staff.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Joseph is not the problem...anyone who knows him knows he is pretty damn good at his job...I think it is a combination of what slaton and BB are saying.....lots of snaps and young bodies not mature enough to take all those snaps.

Plus let's not forget this ain't the powder puff league, we play teams that put a lot of guys in the pros, injuries are going to happen.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got nothing against Mike Joseph, that same S&C coach helped develop Sted, Geno, Tavon , and Irvin.. Nuff said. We need to be VERY careful with that position IMO, that coach has more contact with the kids than anyone else, it's a vital position on the staff.

I am just about 99% positive that the majority of S&C coaches all know the same stuff and train the same things...the only difference is they may custom a program depending on what schemes they run...for instance...Mike Barwis has the O- linemen cut weight and focused on agility....

But maybe there is something to it all...again it goes to continuity in caoching staffs...Rich wanted a certain type of player...Stewart wanted the lines to bulk up...seems that Dana wants something in the middle...so again...what is a S&C Coach to do except continue change the programs for the kids based on what the NEW guy tells he wants...

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am just about 99% positive that the majority of S&C coaches all know the same stuff and train the same things...the only difference is they may custom a program depending on what schemes they run...for instance...Mike Barwis has the O- linemen cut weight and focused on agility....

But maybe there is something to it all...again it goes to continuity in caoching staffs...Rich wanted a certain type of player...Stewart wanted the lines to bulk up...seems that Dana wants something in the middle...so again...what is a S&C Coach to do except continue change the programs for the kids based on what the NEW guy tells he wants...

I have no beef, have read that Joseph uses a different training philosophy than Barwis... but, haven't read it linked to the scheme. Just that Noel would push to press a certain weight while working with Barwis, and Joseph did not want him pushing the same weight.

Like I said, being an O-linemen requires good technique, a certain mental toughness... some nastiness.. that may be lacking or a product of so many coaching switches. But, S&C seem to be affecting the team's endurance.

If Joseph is retained, may be an issue to sort through during Dana's overall assessment of the team.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we win more games next year.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we win a National Championship next year.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no beef, have read that Joseph uses a different training philosophy than Barwis... but, haven't read it linked to the scheme. Just that Noel would push to press a certain weight while working with Barwis, and Joseph did not want him pushing the same weight.

Like I said, being an O-linemen requires good technique, a certain mental toughness... some nastiness.. that may be lacking or a product of so many coaching switches. But, S&C seem to be affecting the team's endurance.

If Joseph is retained, may be an issue to sort through during Dana's overall assessment of the team.

Being mentally tough..or being nasty is not trained in a weight room...it's inherent..:nod:

At the end the day a S&C can get you into the best physical condition prior to starting a season and then maintain a workout regimen during the school year..he is not the Trainer who really is tasked with making sure these kids heal up each week and are ready to go....if a kid is banged up and is rehabing and taken off of his in season workout program how do you hold a S&C accountable?:scratch:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being mentally tough..or being nasty is not trained in a weight room...it's inherent..:nod:

At the end the day a S&C can get you into the best physical condition prior to starting a season and then maintain a workout regimen during the school year..he is not the Trainer who really is tasked with making sure these kids heal up each week and are ready to go....if a kid is banged up and is rehabing and taken off of his in season workout program how do you hold a S&C accountable?:scratch:

Yeah... I agree with you about the attitude... that is why I said I believe there are several issues with the OL. I believe S&C to be one of them.

Apparently, Joseph is not going to be cut by Luck... here is a link to his presser from today...

Luck issues statement on WVU football  - Breaking News - The Charleston Gazette - West Virginia News and Sports -

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I strongly believe in our coaching staff, including the work that our strength and conditioning staff is doing. In my opinion, continuity is the key ingredient that will bring our football program back to the high level that Mountaineer fans expect.

Luck believes..

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck believes..

I read it and nothing surprised me in there...I do beleieve that I was right that if Dana had another 2 or 3 years to rebuild it changed after losing back to back to Kansas and Iowa Sate...that time table got moved up to next year or bust......at least it sounded that way..

JIMKOON

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read it and nothing surprised me in there...I do beleieve that I was right that if Dana had another 2 or 3 years to rebuild it changed after losing back to back to Kansas and Iowa Sate...that time table got moved up to next year or bust......at least it sounded that way..

As I wrote earlier, based solely on the fact that Luck did not knee jerk react yesterday, I can only assume he looked deep into the program and what he saw was what his vision of the football program is to become. I can accept that. I might not feel real comfortable with it, but he has got more actual facts in front of him than I ever will. It will never stop those who have lost complete faith tho, and if the losing continues, there will be a ground swell of pissed off Mountaineers calling for both their heads. That is historical in Mountaineer land. Lived through one of those upheavals, and it weren't pretty. Pastilong survived, Cignetti didn't.

When Nehlen became head coach, we all knew then that it would take 7 to 10 years to fix the mess. We built a new stadium, we improved things as the money became available, to attract the top tier athletes. It was not an easy time, but Nehlen came here with near impeccable references, including old Bo Schem, that was a ringing endorsement to all of us. It's hard seeing a similar pattern with Holgerson. We have invested heavily in facilities as money became available, and there is more work to do to make WVU as attractive as our Big 12 schools. Nehlen came in with the cupboard stripped bare, and little more than a modernized stadium, his biggest selling point was the homespun family atmosphere the community surrounding the campus brought, and a long legacy of academic excellence that is just as highly ranked today. We don't get near enough credit for that. Holgerson was not present with a completely bare roster, there are certainly problems, but he inherited a team full of upperclass talent, and he used it, I cheered, even with my doubts as to personal character, but that was sour grapes from seeing past temper tantrums at Houston, TT and OSU.

Suffice to say, Luck has determined we are on the right course. Anything more is pure speculation depending on our individual opinions. I hope recruiting continues to reap talent, and that we can translate some of that talent to a winning product on the field.