• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dan Williams Gone?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF? I thought he was one of the standout players for the Cards defense and he was healthy all last year. Cards' fans thoughts on this?

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF? I thought he was one of the standout players for the Cards defense and he was healthy all last year. Cards' fans thoughts on this?

I think most of us assumed he wouldn't be back. He is a great run stopper. But he is a NT & only played like 25% of the snaps in 2014. With much of the league heading towards more spread out passing offense, there is no reason to pay a guy $6 mil AAV to play 25% of the snaps. The Cardinals were willing to to sign him for about $3 mil AAV but knew that there were a few teams with a lot of money to spend who would be targeting Williams.

He is strictly a run stuffing NT. A good player but not worth the price tag. We signed two good players(Peters & Redding) who will each individually play more snaps than Williams, for less than what Raiders are paying Williams.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most of us assumed he wouldn't be back. He is a great run stopper. But he is a NT & only played like 25% of the snaps in 2014. With much of the league heading towards more spread out passing offense, there is no reason to pay a guy $6 mil AAV to play 25% of the snaps. The Cardinals were willing to to sign him for about $3 mil AAV but knew that there were a few teams with a lot of money to spend who would be targeting Williams.

He is strictly a run stuffing NT. A good player but not worth the price tag. We signed two good players(Peters & Redding) who will each individually play more snaps than Williams, for less than what Raiders are paying Williams.

Gotcha thanks. Didn't know he was playing that limited but makes sense.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotcha thanks. Didn't know he was playing that limited but makes sense.

Yeah, he is strictly a run stuffing NT & is one of the best run in the NFL. But with the amount of passing teams do now, he is relegated to about 25-30% of the snaps on def. He is there to clog up the middle, which he does well, but that is all he does. Ss mainly the starter, he only has 2 career sacks in 5 seasons.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pretty much what Mike said. I wasn't shocked and saw it coming… his role was being slowly diminished each of the past 3 seasons here. He's solid, but I'm glad we didn't overpay to bring him back.