• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dan, help me answer question

mrschaney

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who was tha Bengals player that was severly injured a few years back???
I cannot for the life of me think of him. I want to say he was a secondary player or something??????? I know this isn't much to go on? Seems like some accident and was paralyzed.

mrschaney

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No not him.
Dennis Weathersby ! it just came to me, where is he now???????

mrschaney

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From wikipedia

College careerWeathersby played in college for Oregon State University. At OSU he started 45 games, and set a school record of 57 passes deflected. He was named to the Pac-10 All-Academic team 4 consecutive years.

[edit] NFL careerWeathersby was projected to be drafted in the first or second round of the 2003 NFL Draft. However, on April 20, 2003, only three days before the NFL draft, he was shot in the back in an apparent gang-related shooting when he and his friend were mistaken for gang members. Despite the incident, the Bengals still drafted him in the fourth round joining his former Oregon State teammates Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh who were also drafted. He survived and recovered from the shooting, but his injuries took longer than expected to heal and he only played in 4 games his rookie season.

On April 12, 2004 he was involved in a car accident that put him into a coma. Dennis eventually came out of the coma and made such progress as to astound his doctors. The first sign that he might recover was when he was still supposedly unconscious and was visited by Bengals coach Marvin Lewis. Dennis' foot was hanging from his hospital bed when Lewis told him to put it back in the bed. Weathersby promptly put it back in his bed. Unfortunately for Weathersby, the Bengals, believing that he would never play football again, cut him before the 2005 season.

Despite his run of bad luck, Dennis is making another attempt at coming back to the NFL. It was reported by ESPN that doctors cleared him to resume work on May 17, 2006, and that he is eager to get back to playing.

As of March 2008, however, Weathersby decided to recognize the gift of life and health he had been given. He states that he did not want to put himself at risk for a hit that could reverse the damage, as well as his desire to 'follow God's will' and step away from professional football. Dennis states he is currently preparing for his CBEST test (to become a teacher) and has just passed the first set of tests in the application process for the City of Los Angeles Fire Department.

[1]

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Pollack was also injured on the field and broke his neck. He nearly became paralyzed but worked his way back, but never played a snap of football again due to risks.

He went back to Atlanta to do radio for the Bulldogs I think.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pollack works for ESPN now. He's got a nice job doing college football studio shows.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ki-jana

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who was tha Bengals player that was severly injured a few years back???
I cannot for the life of me think of him. I want to say he was a secondary player or something??????? I know this isn't much to go on? Seems like some accident and was paralyzed.

From the way you word your questions, you would have to think the person you were thinking of was David Pollack. Pollack broke his neck and was partially paralyzed I thought for a short period of time.

Weathersby was shot.

daytonbenglfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
From the way you word your questions, you would have to think the person you were thinking of was David Pollack. Pollack broke his neck and was partially paralyzed I thought for a short period of time.

Weathersby was shot.

Shot? I thought he was in an auto accident?

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
didn't weatherby have both problems? shot and accident? I think a piano fell on him as well, and an asteroid. God hates the Bengals.

If we get to the playoffs this year, it will be just so the Broncos can win at least one playoff game before losing to Brady (or manning) again.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
didn't weatherby have both problems? shot and accident? I think a piano fell on him as well, and an asteroid. God hates the Bengals.

If we get to the playoffs this year, it will be just so the Broncos can win at least one playoff game before losing to Brady (or manning) again.

Funny stuff, danno -- repped up.....