• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Damn

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saints are gutting their roster ..... So far all defense though

Fans will really have a reason to say Who Dat this year

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 name moves. All are probably good decisions. Let's hope everyone cuts all of their defensive guys and we can get a couple of rotational players on the cheap...

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the Cowboys with all my heart, but what the Saints are doing are what smart teams do. They take the emotion out of it and get rid of declining players. Would be so much easier to do if the owner took a backseat and a separate GM was able to make the cuts. Jerry wants to be friends with everyone though, so he gets too emotional with "his guys".

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the Cowboys with all my heart, but what the Saints are doing are what smart teams do. They take the emotion out of it and get rid of declining players. Would be so much easier to do if the owner took a backseat and a separate GM was able to make the cuts. Jerry wants to be friends with everyone though, so he gets too emotional with "his guys".

I agree with you .....

Saints still have 13 million to get rid of.........

The price of a "superstar" Qb is killing teams ..... IMO

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree, but I'll change it a little. Sometimes declining players are paid like declining players so there is no reason to get rid of them. Every player has a value and every player has a salary/cap hit. When the value falls below the salary for whatever reason you should start looking at moving on from that player. Whne hte value falls well below the salary you must move on. Also, restructuring to lower the cap hit isn't the way to do it, yet that has become our MO. That accomplishes nothing other than moving the money into future years. You must cut some of these players outright. That is what we are unable to do. I don't know if it is because he wants to be "friends with everyone", because he overvalues his players, or because he always feels we are on the verge on winning...But whatever the reason we need to change. If you cut 3 guys and one turns out to have been a mistake you still likely come out ahead because you use the cap space on new guys and even the guy that was the "mistake" saved you money...If you use that saved money wisely you should come out ahead...

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerrah and Stevie have made some major blunders with the cap over the past several years. The extensions given to Newman and Rat were WTF moments for me. I was also not on board with franchising spencer those two times. Can Ware stay healthy? Older players tend to get injured frequently.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, but I'll change it a little. Sometimes declining players are paid like declining players so there is no reason to get rid of them. Every player has a value and every player has a salary/cap hit. When the value falls below the salary for whatever reason you should start looking at moving on from that player. Whne hte value falls well below the salary you must move on. Also, restructuring to lower the cap hit isn't the way to do it, yet that has become our MO. That accomplishes nothing other than moving the money into future years. You must cut some of these players outright. That is what we are unable to do. I don't know if it is because he wants to be "friends with everyone", because he overvalues his players, or because he always feels we are on the verge on winning...But whatever the reason we need to change. If you cut 3 guys and one turns out to have been a mistake you still likely come out ahead because you use the cap space on new guys and even the guy that was the "mistake" saved you money...If you use that saved money wisely you should come out ahead...

no doubt, well said. I have no problems with veteran leadership, as long as it is paid like declining vet leadership. Sadly, we give contracts no other team would in order to keep guys who just don't produce. So there is a double whammy of not getting younger/better players on the field and unable to pay the young studs we do have in order to keep them.

I'm just glad it looks like hatcher will have to leave with all the cap issues. He was a solid player this year, but not worth the long contract he will want.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is admirable and yet foolish at the same time.

true. And if he had a real GM in the middle he could be the "friend" and then use the "it's not my call". Now he can't do that and get suckered into overpaying out of loyalty.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't know how much longer the Seahawks and Niners can keep their rosters. I agee that teams that pay their qbs the high contracts are going to suffer. The Ravens had to gut their roster to pay flacco and I don't see them winning another superbowl. We are in the same boat with Romo.