• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dak Prescott

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thankfully for Jerry, Dak will be Dak regardless. He won't play the hands the DE & RB played when they didn't get what they wanted. Smart play would trade him and get something but the Jones boys haven't been very football smart.
Yep, 25 and counting. I never would have thought in my lifetime that so many other teams would have had more success then the cowboys in 25 years. This is beyond pathetic. You could not even back your way into at least more then 4 playoff victories in 25 years and not one NFC championship game. I am getting too old for this shit!!

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard there were 85 mil in actual guarantees at signing but 110+ overall.
It cracks me up when I hear he is gonna be too expensive next year on the tag.
31 & 38 mil is 69. he was gonna avg. 35 per (which would be 70) in the same time span. this sounds cheaper to me. Not more expensive.
Yeah, the only thing is that it would be backloaded so the cap hit will now be higher in 20 and 21 this way, but in the long run it comes out about the same because we will now have less of a cap hit in 2022 when we resign him than if we resigned him today.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would Dak "deserve more than Wentz and Goff"? Maybe the same, but no more.
I'll simplify it. The arguable reason is because he has been better when looking at all 4 years. The unarguable reason is because the contracts go up each year and they signed last year and he would have been signed this year if they came to an agreement. Was Garoppollo ever the best QB in the league (heck was he ever top 15 even)? No, but he was the highest paid at one point.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll simplify it. The arguable reason is because he has been better when looking at all 4 years. The unarguable reason is because the contracts go up each year and they signed last year and he would have been signed this year if they came to an agreement. Was Garoppollo ever the best QB in the league (heck was he ever top 15 even)? No, but he was the highest paid at one point.
Okay good point. The Boys need to sigh Dak and go from there.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now don't be hurt because I get more mileage out of fewer words than you do. It seems that most everyone here thinks the season will be in the dumpster if Dak isn't the starting QB. I don't buy into that theory and I feel that Dalton is capable of leading this team into the playoffs. Now you may disagree with me but that doesn't mean you're right and I'm wrong.
I totally agree that Dalton could lead the team into the playoffs if things break right, BUT, I think the important thing is that he is just not as good as Dak. I think we could make the playoffs if things break right without Zeke or without Tank too, but just like going from Dak to Dalton, going from those guys to their backups would make it a lot harder to accomplish. Playoff success is done with impact players, not journeyman. The more impact players you have, the better your chances are.

Signing Dalton was one of the best offseason moves this team made and something akin to what I have been calling for, for years. But it is not to replace Dak, but so that the season doesn't end if Dak gets hurt or holds out, like it would have with Cooper Rush or Kellen Moore as our backup.

While I wouldn't want to see it if avoidable, I think any reasojnable person understands that there is at least a small possibility that the team may move forward with Dalton or someone similar as the QB in the next few years because we can't make Dak sign a contract and at some point the tag becomes too onerous. But, the idea of us being as good with Dalton is only arguable if you assume we save $20M (or so) per year and then use that $20M on another impact player or two. So Dak vs Dalton, Jamal Adams and let's say a swing tackle or Sam. I'd rather have the QB, but it is a discussion that may occur at some point.

Reactions: GNG

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's useful, but why aren't the Boys giving Dak a contract?
This doesn't make sense. First off, they did offer him a contract and have been for over a year. Secondly, If he would have accepted the deal that those two got they would have already signed him. Signing or not signing isn't solely based on a team wanting a player or a player wanting to be on a team. The other part and much bigger part is obviously agreeing on the money side of the deal. While we all know this, making a comment such as "why aren't they giving Dak a contract" reads as if you don't

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, having a playoff win and a Super Bowl appearance on your resume can only help.
Absolutely true, but it is of course much more complicated than that. None of the 3 has a SB win on their resume. Wentz has never even won a playoff game. Goff's team had a nice playoff run but only has one more playoff win than Dak and any of us that watched the playoff game in which they played head to head knows the Rams were winning with or without Goff and his 186 yards passing and 53% comp %. Heck, they might have beat Dallas without even using a QB that day.

Goff is 2-2 and has thrown 2 playoff TD (2 Ints) in 4 playoff games and has a rating of 74 and a 55% comp%. Dak is 1-2, has a TD-Int ratio of 5-2, a playoff rating of 96 and a 64% comp%. Do you see that as really all that much better for Goff?

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
negotiatesarntt, post: 15064624, member: 6351"]This doesn't make sense. First off, they did offer him a contract and have been for over a year. Secondly, If he would have accepted the deal that those two got they would have already signed him. Signing or not signing isn't solely based on a team wanting a player or a player wanting to be on a team. The other part and much bigger part is obviously agreeing on the money side of the deal. While we all know this, making a comment such as "why aren't they giving Dak a contract" reads as if you don't[/QUOTE]
Fair enough. My point was if Jerry really want to keep Dak he would have offered him more money. TBH I don't know how the negotiations went between the two. Maybe in the future the Boys can sign Dak long-term.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay good point. The Boys need to sigh Dak and go from there.
That is the hope I believe for most Cowboy fans. It will be interesting to see what happens next offseason. Assuming he plays as well as he has so far in 2020 and is healthy next spring he will be tagged again. Next year is the last year he will play under the tag. If in 2022 the Cowboys can't afford what will likely be a $40M per year deal or Dak decides to test the FA waters it's anyone's guess what will happen...

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely true, but it is of course much more complicated than that. None of the 3 has a SB win on their resume. Wentz has never even won a playoff game. Goff's team had a nice playoff run but only has one more playoff win than Dak and any of us that watched the playoff game in which they played head to head knows the Rams were winning with or without Goff and his 186 yards passing and 53% comp %. Heck, they might have beat Dallas without even using a QB that day.

Goff is 2-2 and has thrown 2 playoff TD (2 Ints) in 4 playoff games and has a rating of 74 and a 55% comp%. Dak is 1-2, has a TD-Int ratio of 5-2, a playoff rating of 96 and a 64% comp%. Do you see that as really all that much better for Goff?
Actually I don't really see all that much difference between Wentz, Goff or Dak.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This doesn't make sense. First off, they did offer him a contract and have been for over a year. Secondly, If he would have accepted the deal that those two got they would have already signed him. Signing or not signing isn't solely based on a team wanting a player or a player wanting to be on a team. The other part and much bigger part is obviously agreeing on the money side of the deal. While we all know this, making a comment such as "why aren't they giving Dak a contract" reads as if you don't
Fair enough. My point was if Jerry really want to keep Dak he would have offered him more money. TBH I don't know how the negotiations went between the two. Maybe in the future the Boys can sign Dak long-term

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. My point was if Jerry really want to keep Dak he would have offered him more money. TBH I don't know how the negotiations went between the two. Maybe in the future the Boys can sign Dak long-term

I would agree with you if they lost Dak, but Jerry knew all along he could tag Dak. $31M for one year is a fantastic deal for the Cowboys IMO. Even if they tag him again next year 2 years at $34M per is still a great deal for the team. It's Dak who benefited more from a deal this year than the team.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goff really has not been consistently good. Wentz cant seem to stay on the field. Dak deserves as much if not more than those two guys IMO. I think covid and the unknown affect it will have on the salary cap is why the deal did not get done. KC could be in salary cap hell if the cap freezes or goes down.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, how about in the last 25 years then? I figured under the context we were talking about that it was obvious I was talking about Jerry. But sure, Danny White, Craig Morton, etc, have had some good ones but kind of irrelevant. Dalton is a 32 year old solid starter. How many of those have we had in the last 25 years?
I agree with the Salary Cap era, we dont spend on the back up QB.
Also I dont think anyone would disagree, we definitely upgraded the back up QB spot this year.

Reactions: GNG

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it wasnt for the sticking point of wanting only 4 years. I could see what Dak might have been thinking.
He has no fear in betting on himself.
he plays for 31.4 mil this year & does it well his yearly avg. will go up a lot by next year. this year has reported 33.5 to 35+ mil a year. So maybe in his eyes he gives up 2 mil this year to make that up in yearly avg. next year.

but then I keep seeing this short years thing & think we will just have to fran tag him next year & start all over after that. :(

but atleast I can see a scenario where he he plays ball with negotiating the contract next year. Just not real hopeful right now.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is Dak's agent?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dak being smart. Guaranteed money and season not going to be a full season.

IDK if he is being smart.

Yes, guaranteed if the season is played.

Had he signed the deal DAL had on the table...signing bonus would be paid whether they play games or not.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a huge FA market for Dak...of course it doesn't take a huge market as we saw with Bell...it only takes one, but my gosh...Dak you're grasping for every penny in this contract, yet watching dollars fly out the window.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK if he is being smart.

Yes, guaranteed if the season is played.

Had he signed the deal DAL had on the table...signing bonus would be paid whether they play games or not.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a huge FA market for Dak...of course it doesn't take a huge market as we saw with Bell...it only takes one, but my gosh...Dak you're grasping for every penny in this contract, yet watching dollars fly out the window.
There wasn’t a huge fa market for cousins, but it worked out pretty well. Getting tagged a second time will make his asking price astronomical

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There wasn’t a huge fa market for cousins, but it worked out pretty well. Getting tagged a second time will make his asking price astronomical
I think I noted it didn't need to be a huge market...Cousins...mostly true, but aside from MIN, there was DEN (that signed Keenum), SF, (signed Jimmy G), I'm missing a few others that signed.

Someone will always need a QB it seems, but Dak is flirting with fire IMO.