• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cuts

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the defensive line, are we keeping 10 or 11 guys? Who makes the cut on this list, because you get to pick 4 -5 guys depending on how many you think we will keep that position group?

DE Terell Basham
DE Jeff Gunter
DE Cam Sample
DT Zach Carter
DT Dominque Davis
DT Jay Tufele
DT Josh Tupou

Assuming these are the Locks (6):

DE Trey Hendrickson
DE Sam Hubbard
DE Myles Murphy
DE Joseph Ossai
DT DJ Reader
DT BJ Hill

Last edited:

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offensive Line...same scenario (10 or 11):

Players we assume are locks on the roster (5):

LT Orlando Brown Jr.
RG Cordell Volson
C Ted Karras
RG Alex Cappa
RT Jonah Williams

Who makes the cut on the list below:

La'el Collins
Cody Ford
Jackson Carmen
Hakeem Adeniji
D'Ante Smith
Max Scharping
Jaxson Kirkland (we probably lose him if we stick him on practice squad - just saying)
Trey Hill

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the defensive line, are we keeping 10 or 11 guys? Who makes the cut on this list, because you get to pick 4 -5 guys depending on how many you think we will keep that position group?

DE Terell Basham
DE Jeff Gunter
DE Cam Sample
DT Zach Carter
DT Dominque Davis
DT Jay Tufele
DT Josh Tupou

Assuming these are the Locks (6):

DE Trey Hendrickson
DE Sam Hubbard
DE Myles Murphy
DE Joseph Ossai
DT DJ Reader
DT BJ Hill
Carter was drafted last year....he's not getting cut.

Tupou is the only true backup that plays NT behind Reader...think he's a lock as well.

Between Sample and Gunter, I think Sample has shown more...he's likely around as well.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offensive Line...same scenario (10 or 11):

Players we assume are locks on the roster (5):

LT Orlando Brown Jr.
RG Cordell Volson
C Ted Karras
RG Alex Cappa
RT Jonah Williams

Who makes the cut on the list below:

La'el Collins
Cody Ford
Jackson Carmen
Hakeem Adeniji
D'Ante Smith
Max Scharping
Jaxson Kirkland (we probably lose him if we stick him on practice squad - just saying)
Trey Hill
Collins will be on PUP - so he's safe for now and won't count against the 53 man...

Ford, Adeniji, Scharping, Hill, and D'Ante Smith I think make it 10, and they leave 1 spot open for the ability to have Collins added when he's ready.

Carman will be the big name cut.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collins will be on PUP - so he's safe for now and won't count against the 53 man...

Ford, Adeniji, Scharping, Hill, and D'Ante Smith I think make it 10, and they leave 1 spot open for the ability to have Collins added when he's ready.

Carman will be the big name cut.
He played well as a LT last year. They just moved him back to backing up LT. Maybe that is his true calling. A backup LT in this league. I think the Bengals were hoping he would be more versatile on the line or be able to grab ahold of a position of need, but he is a LT, and they just spent $16 mill a year on a LT, so backup is as good as he is going to get.

Thoughts?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He played well as a LT last year. They just moved him back to backing up LT. Maybe that is his true calling. A backup LT in this league. I think the Bengals were hoping he would be more versatile on the line or be able to grab ahold of a position of need, but he is a LT, and they just spent $16 mill a year on a LT, so backup is as good as he is going to get.

Thoughts?
I am assuming you mean Carman....

In theory - yes, I agree with that thought.

Issue is....he was clearly checked out of the 1st pre-season game. When you are a guy who is already trending towards "bust" status....it would behoove you to take every opportunity to show why you deserve more. To his credit, it seems like he came into the off-season workouts and everything in prime shape. Then, as it appears that Williams has the RT job to start the season, it would seem (based on the 1st pre-season game) that Carman decided to just check out...

If that's the case...he may be a better talent option than those around him, but if he's not engaged - at some point....you just need to cut bait and move on. I think he's trending towards that status...we'll see how it goes from here....

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am assuming you mean Carman....

In theory - yes, I agree with that thought.

Issue is....he was clearly checked out of the 1st pre-season game. When you are a guy who is already trending towards "bust" status....it would behoove you to take every opportunity to show why you deserve more. To his credit, it seems like he came into the off-season workouts and everything in prime shape. Then, as it appears that Williams has the RT job to start the season, it would seem (based on the 1st pre-season game) that Carman decided to just check out...

If that's the case...he may be a better talent option than those around him, but if he's not engaged - at some point....you just need to cut bait and move on. I think he's trending towards that status...we'll see how it goes from here....
You assumed right since I was responding to your post about Carmen. That is a possibility.

I think they are just giving up trying to put him on t he right side. I think they see, he only has value on the left side and that is it.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You assumed right since I was responding to your post about Carmen. That is a possibility.

I think they are just giving up trying to put him on t he right side. I think they see, he only has value on the left side and that is it.
They haven't given up....I think they want to find the best spot to use him, but regardless of that fact....it was a very poor look when he re-entered the game at RT and basically looked like he couldn't have cared less about being back out there...

Hopefully, just a blip, but when you are already on that thin line....you need to show a lot of versatility....

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They haven't given up....I think they want to find the best spot to use him, but regardless of that fact....it was a very poor look when he re-entered the game at RT and basically looked like he couldn't have cared less about being back out there...

Hopefully, just a blip, but when you are already on that thin line....you need to show a lot of versatility....
Don't disagree. I am just saying, sometimes certain players don't have the versatility to be those depth chart guys, but rather, they are a one position..this is what I do pony, and that is it. That unfortunately looks to be Carmen. Now, is that something that this coaching staff wants to deal with..a backup that can only do one thing? I don't know, and don't care what they decide to do, I just think this is his future or he doesn't have one if brass decides they need more.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't disagree. I am just saying, sometimes certain players don't have the versatility to be those depth chart guys, but rather, they are a one position..this is what I do pony, and that is it. That unfortunately looks to be Carmen. Now, is that something that this coaching staff wants to deal with..a backup that can only do one thing? I don't know, and don't care what they decide to do, I just think this is his future or he doesn't have one if brass decides they need more.
Agreed...and because you have several other guys that can fill in without a major drop in play (D'Ante Smith or Adeniji) and those other guys can play multiple positions whereas Carman is seemingly a 1 position guy....I think that leaves him on the outside looking in.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed...and because you have several other guys that can fill in without a major drop in play (D'Ante Smith or Adeniji) and those other guys can play multiple positions whereas Carman is seemingly a 1 position guy....I think that leaves him on the outside looking in.
Good possibility. Question is, with him being a good dude and a second round pick of this coaching staff, are they ready to give up on him?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good possibility. Question is, with him being a good dude and a second round pick of this coaching staff, are they ready to give up on him?
Will remain to be seen...but this staff under Taylor has shown they will move on from guys...so, that is a bit of a departure from the past.

Also, didn't think of it yesterday, but if Brown were to go down, you could also potentially see Williams flip from RT back to LT, and then you have Collins, D'Ante Smith, Adeniji, and Ford all with RT experience and a better fit for playing RT than LT...

When you are a backup OL, flexibility is such a key...Carman doesn't appear to have it...will it cost him a spot? We'll see.

Lastly, to be a bit more far to Carman....he did play in the preseason game, and then was pulled...he likely thought his day was done and then was told/asked to go back in....probably was a hard transition for a pre-season game where you have already come out of the game, and likely were physically and mentally checked out at that point...so, I guess I shouldn't dump too hard on him for such a poor showing with that second go-around.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will remain to be seen...but this staff under Taylor has shown they will move on from guys...so, that is a bit of a departure from the past.

Also, didn't think of it yesterday, but if Brown were to go down, you could also potentially see Williams flip from RT back to LT, and then you have Collins, D'Ante Smith, Adeniji, and Ford all with RT experience and a better fit for playing RT than LT...

When you are a backup OL, flexibility is such a key...Carman doesn't appear to have it...will it cost him a spot? We'll see.

Lastly, to be a bit more far to Carman....he did play in the preseason game, and then was pulled...he likely thought his day was done and then was told/asked to go back in....probably was a hard transition for a pre-season game where you have already come out of the game, and likely were physically and mentally checked out at that point...so, I guess I shouldn't dump too hard on him for such a poor showing with that second go-around.
We will see what pans out.

We are going to have a lot of tough cuts on this roster. So much depth and talent. I know the starters are heads and shoulders above the backups, but the backups are so close to one another from the 23 man to the 53 man, it is hard to tell who should stay and go. Some are easier than others and some positions are easier than others, but overall, gonna be a tough cut down day.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think this is right. If Brown were to get injured, I think you would see Jonah flip back to left tackle. The hope would be that Collins could get back to form at RT. But if he didn't, you could have some options.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will see what pans out.

We are going to have a lot of tough cuts on this roster. So much depth and talent. I know the starters are heads and shoulders above the backups, but the backups are so close to one another from the 23 man to the 53 man, it is hard to tell who should stay and go. Some are easier than others and some positions are easier than others, but overall, gonna be a tough cut down day.
Yep. For most skill positions players, if you are a backup, the key is special teams.

For OL, it is flexibility along the OL....being able to be OT/OG or OG/C, or even the rare OT/G/C guy....gives the team a lot of options to keep you over someone else who doesn't have that ability because that backup is basically filling for 2, or 3, spots....It's a big reason why Scharping, for the first time in his career, has been taking snaps at Center...