• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cutler signs for 7 years

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Jay Cutler's seven-year deal is worth $126 million, and includes $54 million guaranteed.

It's a (slightly) smaller overall haul than Aaron Rodgers got last April, but the exact same amount of guaranteed money. It's a ton of cash for an increasingly injury-prone player who's going on 31, but the price of doing business for teams interested in quarterback stability. Cutler's career numbers aren't worthy of so much money, but the Bears would have faced extremely long odds of finding an upgrade. It's not a surprising deal.

When everyone freaked out about Tony's Signing. I told everyone. it is just the price for QBs anymore. Signing him when we did made sense because it only gets more expensive the longer we wait. All Qbs contracts will just keep going up & up. No matter if they are Brady or just a run of the mill QB. Seattle is screwed when it its time to pay their QB.

Now with all this said I agree that these contracts are out of hand, but this is the way of the NFL anymore. There are not 32 quality QBs in the league so you don't just let a starter walk unless you have a back up plan.

Don't think Cutler is worth that money (very few QBS are) but it seems to be the going rate for a starter nowadays.

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Jay Cutler's seven-year deal is worth $126 million, and includes $54 million guaranteed.

It's a (slightly) smaller overall haul than Aaron Rodgers got last April, but the exact same amount of guaranteed money. It's a ton of cash for an increasingly injury-prone player who's going on 31, but the price of doing business for teams interested in quarterback stability. Cutler's career numbers aren't worthy of so much money, but the Bears would have faced extremely long odds of finding an upgrade. It's not a surprising deal.

When everyone freaked out about Tony's Signing. I told everyone. it is just the price for QBs anymore. Signing him when we did made sense because it only gets more expensive the longer we wait. All Qbs contracts will just keep going up & up. No matter if they are Brady or just a run of the mill QB. Seattle is screwed when it its time to pay their QB.

Now with all this said I agree that these contracts are out of hand, but this is the way of the NFL anymore. There are not 32 quality QBs in the league so you don't just let a starter walk unless you have a back up plan.

Don't think Cutler is worth that money (very few QBS are) but it seems to be the going rate for a starter nowadays.

Dumb signing, McCown was a better QB IMO. They will be in the same boat Dallas is in a few years from now. Overpaying for an Injured QB who may or may not be able to play out his contract.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The devil is in the details, let's see when they come out. Also, Cutler is 3 years younger. However, Romo had us over a barrel if you remember with the cap hit we would have taken if we didn't resign him and then we still would have needed to replace him.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
125 million? Holy smokes. Is QB that incredibly important that teams will hand out that type of loot for non superstar QBs? Obviously so. Bears would have been better off trading up and landing one of the QB's coming out and signed someone else for less. Actually at pick #14 they probably didnt even have to move up.

Maybe they were just thinking with Forte and the two star WR's all ready in place they dont have time to groom a new QB.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
125 million? Holy smokes. Is QB that incredibly important that teams will hand out that type of loot for non superstar QBs? Obviously so. Bears would have been better off trading up and landing one of the QB's coming out and signed someone else for less. Actually at pick #14 they probably didnt even have to move up.

Maybe they were just thinking with Forte and the two star WR's all ready in place they dont have time to groom a new QB.

haven't seen the contract yet, but typically the last two years are for show not likely gonna be honored.
the guaranteed money & the avg. of 18 mil per year is the key I would think in the contract.

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
haven't seen the contract yet, but typically the last two years are for show not likely gonna be honored.
the guaranteed money & the avg. of 18 mil per year is the key I would think in the contract.

18 million a year guaranteed money, and a lot of our service men and women are on food stamps and are about to lose many of their benefits. This world has gone crazy.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"This world has gone crazy"

No kidding and Political Correctness is dangerous. It kills freedom of speech...freedom of expression. It puts a mussel on and limits us talking about important issues.

but....it's important to compare multimillionaire professional athletes to the few military food stamp recipients....but then again, I'm sure it's just me.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foles is going to flop in the playoffs Malka

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically all the money these Qb's are getting his a bi-product of the rookie wage scale being significantly reduced. We all knew that money would be re-allocated to vets. Turns out Most often that saved money is used to lock up a perceived franchise QB. That is the latest trend it seems so I don't feel as bad now on the Romo contract. Still wish we would have let him play out his contract though cause I certainly believe there are some franchise qb's to be had in the next severeal drafts.

Baseballnut77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
according to espn he will be the bears Qb for the next 3 years after that he can be cut with little to no damage

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"This world has gone crazy"

No kidding and Political Correctness is dangerous. It kills freedom of speech...freedom of expression. It puts a mussel on and limits us talking about important issues.

but....it's important to compare multimillionaire professional athletes to the few military food stamp recipients....but then again, I'm sure it's just me.

I just think it's sad that if you can throw a football, you can make 18 million a year, but if you serve to protect that players right to play football you barley survive. If people can't see what's wrong with that, then there is something wrong with people. It's more than a few military families, there are thousands. I served during the first Gulf War, I know how hard it is on them.