• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cutler Sign Seven Year Contract

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The injury issue is the single biggest knock on Cutler IMO. That's the only reason I'd be hesitant to sign him. But you have to take that risk if you're the Bears. He's the best QB that franchise has ever had.

And I think part of the reason he's so injury-prone is because he's had some of the worst O-lines the NFL has seen in a decade. Give that guy a couple of tackles & he could be great IMO.

I defend the guy because for years I've seen him make his drop & he's got a guy in his face by the time he plants his back foot. But then he makes some amazing throws under pressure. A lot of the time it's either throw a risky pass or punt because his receivers don't have time to get open.

I'll agree he's been their best at QB since I've been watching football but Lovie got canned for failure at making the playoffs but Cutler gets resigned? Had Cutler been the hero at home, ok resign him but he didn't come through(nor the defense for that matter) but resign him for 7 years? QUE???? 2-3 yrs ok, but 7, wtf?

What other options could the bears went? thats debatable... I know Schaub basically crapped out but if he's not in Houston's plans going forward, that could've been a real nice pickup. Maybe draft Manziel? Two big WRs would really help him IMO. Then you still have Cutler who may look better then the suggested.

it was a tough position for CHicago but the years seem funny to me

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. He's not an elite QB like Rodgers or Rivers, but he's still pretty good. He's done a hell of a lot more than spoiled Matt Stafford, and so he deserves more money than Stafford got. He out-played Kaepernick most of this year IMO)although Kap has played much better since Crabby returned).

Put Cutler on the 49ers this season, and I think he would've been a top-10 MVP candidate.

I think you calling Rivers an elite QB has to be a joke or some type of typo. Rivers isnt even close to elite and he isnt even in my top 10 of QBs playing right now. I would say there are only 4 elite QBs in the NFL Peyton, Brady, Brees and Rodgers.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB's are the most sought after and most overrated commodity in the NFL. A great QB can mask the flaws of a poor coaching staff and front office. A great QB however is not needed and no team should be over paying for them.

Good NFL teams start with a good front office capable of assembling talent and making the right cap moves. If you have a good front office then next you need a good coaching staff capable of getting the most out of the talent assembled for them.

If you have those 2 things in place you can turn an above average QB into a superstar (see Terry Bradshaw and Troy Aikman as prime examples).

If you have a poor front office and/or coaching staff then above average QB's only serve to hold your franchise back as you over pay to keep them around. Cutler is not good enough to make up for the flaws else where on that team. As such the Bears will always flounder around barely making the playoffs or barely missing until they completely collapse. That is of course unless the fortunes of their front office turn around soon. They have a good bit of talent on that team, but they are not getting the most out of it. They could also use a few more good front office moves to shore up a few holes to push them over the edge.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think you calling Rivers an elite QB has to be a joke or some type of typo. Rivers isnt even close to elite and he isnt even in my top 10 of QBs playing right now. I would say there are only 4 elite QBs in the NFL Peyton, Brady, Brees and Rodgers.

This is an example of how Rivers is one of the most underrated / underappreciated players in the NFL IMO. During his first 5 season in the NFL he was arguably the best QB in the league. He should've won the MVP over Peyton in 2008. He's NEVER had great O-line, and since VJax left his receivers have been pretty mediocre. His O-line is downright bad right now, and his running game is nothing to write home about. Yet he took a sorry Chargers team to the playoffs. Of QBs who played all season he was the 2nd rated QB in the league.

He got screwed in the 2007 AFC Championship game by the ref's; the Chargers should've beaten the Pats that year. That's a damn impressive resume.

People have to understand that the talent around a QB matters. People look at stats & think Matt Ryan is a great QB, and they think Rivers is a schmuck. Look at Tom Brady's stats this year; he didn't all of a sudden become an average QB. Any QB who started for the 49ers, Falcons, Cowboys & a few others started out with a huge advantage. QBs who started for the Chargers, Raiders, Dolphins & a few others this year were playing with a huge disadvantage. But Rivers outshined almost every other QB in the league this year despite next to no help.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, he's probably the best they can hope for with a dearth of starting qbs available in free agency. And who really is worth it in the draft right now? Oh well, I guess the Bears have resigned themselves to being slightly above average for a while. Enjoy the payday 'Smokin Jay'.

tumblr_mxx2cgom7Q1rge9rdo1_500.jpg

People still don't understand how expensive good QBs are. The Bears couldn't have signed him for much less than this, and they would've been absolute morons to let him go.

What do you guys think of McCown? I like that Cutler kept his job after his injury. I thought he deserved a chance to keep it. He was the type of quarterback they wanted and he was doing alright. If he had been like Ponder, than I would have thought that keeping Cutler because of his age (younger than McCown) would've been a silly reason to keep him.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barely belongs in the league.

He is old, little experience, etc.,but did do well. Do you think that it was unsustainable? Do you think that teams just needed film on him? Or do you think that it was just an anomaly?

He had some big plays and good numbers. Was he playing with house money? For example, if he threw interceptions he would be back to where he started but if he threw touchdowns he could've secured the starting spot. If the Bears had gone with him, he may have become more conservative trying to keep the job?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
He is old, little experience, etc.,but did do well. Do you think that it was unsustainable? Do you think that teams just needed film on him? Or do you think that it was just an anomaly?

I think he's Josh freeking McCown. 6 games isn't going to tell you anything. People who think he's even one of the top 35 QBs in the league smack of people who were calling Troy Smith the next 49ers' franchise QB. I still remember people vehemently saying I was being an idiot for ignoring Troy's greatness.

I'll give him credit for being a decent backup QB. But those are a dime a dozen.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Cutler's not even in the top half of QBs in the league. In my estimation he's had *one* good year - his last in Denver which allowed them to unload him for a fortune in picks. Everything else has been average, which with Cutler means alternating from very good and very bad. He parlays a good arm into big contracts and public adulation, but good arms are so overvalued compared to the rest of the QB skill set.

The problem is that the big plays aren't as valuable as the bad plays are damaging. Limiting turnovers, especially ones in bad spots, is a crucial part of winning football. Guys like Cutler and Stafford define themselves on being able to make every throw, which sometimes seems to override their good judgment. Said it before, say it again, I'll take Alex Smith over Cutler. Less spectacular, but better results.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Said it before, say it again, I'll take Alex Smith over Cutler. Less spectacular, but better results.

I can't even wrap my mind around how insane that sounds to me. I hate to be all "my opinion's right and yours is wrong," but this time my opinion is right and yours is wrong.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
QBs who started for the Chargers, Raiders, Dolphins & a few others this year were playing with a huge disadvantage. But Rivers outshined almost every other QB in the league this year despite next to no help.

I think you are underrating how good McCoy's offense is for QBs. He made Tim Tebow a playoff-winning QB. I would ask whether or not Rivers has ever been good without a great offensive coach in charge....his career took off when Norv showed up. Not that he's bad, certainly a good QB, but like most others he suffered when he wasn't playing in a favorable system. His two years previous to this weren't all that great.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
u do Kap has done more then Cutler already. Kap is better then Cutler right now.

He might be. Kap's level of play last year & the end of this year were extremely high. But he has a probowl TE & 2 great receivers + the best O-line in the NFL & a great running game. What worries me is that when he didn't have all of that (only 1 great WR) he was downright bad. That's why I'm skeptical of Kap right now. But if he can keep up the level of play he's maintained over the last few weeks the Niners could win it all.

Cutler, on the other hand, has dealt with O-lines that have been so bad that he's barely had any time to throw. I'll take a great O-line over great receivers.

Baseballnut77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to get the contract straight. all this means according to espn is that cutler will be qb for the next 3 years as the first 3 are set in stone but after that they could cut him without cap penalty. So given the free agent market and where the bears draft this is by far the best move for them to make. All draft picks and free agents should be directed twords the defense sans a center and some depth to the o-line

Baseballnut77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
u do Kap has done more then Cutler already. Kap is better then Cutler right now.

Kind of hard to say that when he is not even better than the guy he replaced by the numbers dont you think?
offensive pts rank has been the same 3 years running and comparing this year to smiths year and the numbers are nearly identical.

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately I think you're right. But Kaepernick doesn't deserve as much money as Cutler does IMO. I wouldn't sign Kap to this big of a deal. I'd let him play his contract out & tag him if he wants a penny more than Romo got.

Good move, you should be a GM.

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are a little late, you should have been in the FO for the Bears, might have got a better deal.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is an example of how Rivers is one of the most underrated / underappreciated players in the NFL IMO. During his first 5 season in the NFL he was arguably the best QB in the league. He should've won the MVP over Peyton in 2008. He's NEVER had great O-line, and since VJax left his receivers have been pretty mediocre. His O-line is downright bad right now, and his running game is nothing to write home about. Yet he took a sorry Chargers team to the playoffs. Of QBs who played all season he was the 2nd rated QB in the league.

He got screwed in the 2007 AFC Championship game by the ref's; the Chargers should've beaten the Pats that year. That's a damn impressive resume.

People have to understand that the talent around a QB matters. People look at stats & think Matt Ryan is a great QB, and they think Rivers is a schmuck. Look at Tom Brady's stats this year; he didn't all of a sudden become an average QB. Any QB who started for the 49ers, Falcons, Cowboys & a few others started out with a huge advantage. QBs who started for the Chargers, Raiders, Dolphins & a few others this year were playing with a huge disadvantage. But Rivers outshined almost every other QB in the league this year despite next to no help.

Rivers is a good QB but I think Romo is just as good if not better. If I was building a team and you said I had to choose between Rivers and Romo I would pick Romo. I think if Romo played they would have beat the Eagles. He has like the 4th highest passer rating in NFL history and the highest 4th quarter passer ratings. Romo is very underrated and people just think of the few games he blows in the 4th qrt and not all the comebacks he has. Plus dallas O-Line still isnt great and their D was injured all year and sucked.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a diabetic as well.....with a history of not taking care of himself as prescribed by his condition. I wonder how his body will hold up unless he's changed his ways.