• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cutler Sign Seven Year Contract

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you're team says no to player was playing as well as McCown was, that sure would make you confident in signing that big contract. That shows that they are committed to you. But seven years? I have never seen seven years before but I haven't really looked. Maybe I have, I just haven't noticed. Obviously, the NFL can cut a player and I don't know what the guaranteed is, but seven-years seems like a long one for a player in the NFL. That's hockey and baseball territory.

Sorry for starting a new thread on this. I didn't know where to put it and I didn't want to start an off-season thread. Starting an off-season thread before the playoffs is bad luck, right?

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
7 years isn't all that unheard of. Definitely long but not crazy.

Supposedly, the contract is worth more than Stafford got. Havent heard all the details but this is just what Adam Schefter posted.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure wouldn't pay 7 years to Cutler but that's just me. QB's are by far the most overpaid position based on play in the league. You have about 4 or 5 guys that deserve their high priced contracts and then a bunch getting similar money despite clearly being a step or more below the top guys.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aargh! I hate when I make a typo on a thread title! Signs not sign.

Thanks for the info bvantielriceyoung. BTW, your username autocorrects to "b.b.'s girl" on my iPhone. I have no idea why. I've never heard of that or typed that before. And no, I do not watch ****o on my phone. Much better on the big screen. ;)

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The years in a football contract don't really matter and even the yearly average doesn't mean much with the way a contract can be backloaded or frontloaded (Patrick Willis). The big number to see if a player is going to stick around for the full contract is the guaranteed money and that rumor of $50 million plus for Cutler means the Bears are really going to be stuck with that contract.

With the way the signing bonus works there's almost no way the Bears could ever cut Cutler without basically throwing a season away with the cap hit a cut would do. He could renegotiate, but that contract gives alot of power to Cutler to tell the Bears to screw themselves and there's not much the Bears can do about it..... Kind of what Carlos Rogers did this past off season when the 49ers approached him about renegotiating.

I think it's a bad deal for them and it raises the price for Kaepernick a bit..... His agent can say Cutler never even sniffed a Superbowl and Kap's already been in one (maybe won one this year!:nod:).

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow bad contract for someone who never won anything. The most I would of went is 5 years.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is bad news for the 49ers because Kap will get 18 million easy now.

mallard666

Gurney Repairman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, he's probably the best they can hope for with a dearth of starting qbs available in free agency. And who really is worth it in the draft right now? Oh well, I guess the Bears have resigned themselves to being slightly above average for a while. Enjoy the payday 'Smokin Jay'.

tumblr_mxx2cgom7Q1rge9rdo1_500.jpg

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
People still don't understand how expensive good QBs are. The Bears couldn't have signed him for much less than this, and they would've been absolute morons to let him go.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
it raises the price for Kaepernick a bit.

Unfortunately I think you're right. But Kaepernick doesn't deserve as much money as Cutler does IMO. I wouldn't sign Kap to this big of a deal. I'd let him play his contract out & tag him if he wants a penny more than Romo got.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Unfortunately I think you're right. But Kaepernick doesn't deserve as much money as Cutler does IMO. I wouldn't sign Kap to this big of a deal. I'd let him play his contract out & tag him if he wants a penny more than Romo got.

You're still a Cutler fan?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
You're still a Cutler fan?

Absolutely. He's not an elite QB like Rodgers or Rivers, but he's still pretty good. He's done a hell of a lot more than spoiled Matt Stafford, and so he deserves more money than Stafford got. He out-played Kaepernick most of this year IMO)although Kap has played much better since Crabby returned).

Put Cutler on the 49ers this season, and I think he would've been a top-10 MVP candidate.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK... what has Cutler done for the Bears? he's injury prone, TO prone and who knows, maybe McCown would've got the job done like he had when Cutler was out.

Rex Grossman was able to lead the bears lol... i know it was the defense... :suds:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
IDK... what has Cutler done for the Bears? he's injury prone, TO prone and who knows, maybe McCown would've got the job done like he had when Cutler was out.

Rex Grossman was able to lead the bears lol... i know it was the defense... :suds:

The injury issue is the single biggest knock on Cutler IMO. That's the only reason I'd be hesitant to sign him. But you have to take that risk if you're the Bears. He's the best QB that franchise has ever had.

And I think part of the reason he's so injury-prone is because he's had some of the worst O-lines the NFL has seen in a decade. Give that guy a couple of tackles & he could be great IMO.

I defend the guy because for years I've seen him make his drop & he's got a guy in his face by the time he plants his back foot. But then he makes some amazing throws under pressure. A lot of the time it's either throw a risky pass or punt because his receivers don't have time to get open.

Last edited by a moderator: