• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Baggs

It’s hard for Gregor Blanco to say he regrets trying to spend the past three months playing through a shoulder injury. But he acknowledged that it’s the truth. And sporting a .148 slugging percentage since the All-Star break is a rude but effective way to come to that realization.

Hours after the Giants put their dependable fourth outfielder on the disabled list with a right shoulder impingement, Blanco acknowledged that the move should’ve been made May 25 – the day he jammed his shoulder while sliding back to first base on a pickoff throw.

“I knew I had to wait and fix it, but I didn’t,” said Blanco, a free agent after this season. “I tried to play through it this whole time. It’s been hard for me not to say no. I’m a guy who loves to compete and help my teammates, but at some point, you realize you’re not helping your teammates or yourself, either.”

Well, isn't that just peachy. The dude has been absolute dead weight for going on three months, and he just now admits it. Where the hell has the medical staff been?!? This is unbelievable to me.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Baggs

It’s hard for Gregor Blanco to say he regrets trying to spend the past three months playing through a shoulder injury. But he acknowledged that it’s the truth. And sporting a .148 slugging percentage since the All-Star break is a rude but effective way to come to that realization.

Hours after the Giants put their dependable fourth outfielder on the disabled list with a right shoulder impingement, Blanco acknowledged that the move should’ve been made May 25 – the day he jammed his shoulder while sliding back to first base on a pickoff throw.

“I knew I had to wait and fix it, but I didn’t,” said Blanco, a free agent after this season. “I tried to play through it this whole time. It’s been hard for me not to say no. I’m a guy who loves to compete and help my teammates, but at some point, you realize you’re not helping your teammates or yourself, either.”

Well, isn't that just peachy. The dude has been absolute dead weight for going on three months, and he just now admits it. Where the hell has the medical staff been?!? This is unbelievable to me.
Fire Groeschner.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hernandez raved about Triple-A outfielder Austin Slater, the 23-year-old Stanford alum who is tearing up the Pacific Coast League for Sacramento.

Slater initially struggled upon his promotion from Double-A but has raised his Sacramento average to .297 and OPS to .874 by going 13-for-18 with four homers in his past four games. Three were at high-altitude Reno.

“He’s ready now,” Hernandez said. “He has talent. He has speed and he can hit. He has everything for what any team in the big leagues needs. Maybe he needs to learn a little more at the plate. He has a chance to play baseball here.”

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hernandez is here to try out for Blancos job for '17. It will be a competition between Hernandez and Slater, I think, with the edge going to Hernandez since (IMHO) Slater is a legit prospect and they don't want him up as a #4/#5 at this stage.

I was thinking more about short term. Pagan's shaky injury history probably makes them leery not having a healthy back up, who has similar tools, available.

I don't think they will bring up Slater this September. Williamson will be up. Parker, if he gets healthy. Maybe Ishikawa. The Giants won't bring up that many guys. I wonder if Blanco is done for the season or if he will be activated once he's eligible (which would be Sept. 5th).

Well, the Giants only have two 'real' major league outfielders signed for 2017: Span and Pence; Pagan and Blanco will both be free agents. If the team decides to fill from within, they have Jarrett Parker, Mac Williamson, Gorkys Hernandez, and Austin Slater available as 'possibles' for 3rd and 4th OFers. Hernandez has basically been an 'organizational depth'-type player (AAAA), so he *could* be the 4th OF. But I would think that the Giants would go with at least one (and quite possibly two) of Jarrett Parker, Mac Williamson, Austin Slater. Parker & Williamson are already on the roster and will be cheap and have shown some success at the MLB level - at least enough to be a 4th OF. I see Slater as the guy they call up during the '17 season to replace a struggling Mac or Parker (unless Slater blows their socks off in ST) since he doesn't have to be protected from the upcoming rule 5 draft this Dec. Parker has just NOT been able to hit LHP, so a platoon-mate would be very useful, but he would also be the CF backup.

The Giants might also bring back Pagan, if he is willing to sign a one-year contract (possibly with option) for less than $6M/yr.

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Baggs

:gaah:Considering how banged up the outfield has been this year, that was an incredibly selfish move on his part to hide that injury. However, the medical staff should have picked that up months ago. If the commentators see him playing injured, the training staff had to be have been aware of it for a while. The Giants have options at AAA for outfield help. Why they are so reluctant to tap into it, I don't know.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the Giants only have two 'real' major league outfielders signed for 2017: Span and Pence; Pagan and Blanco will both be free agents. If the team decides to fill from within, they have Jarrett Parker, Mac Williamson, Gorkys Hernandez, and Austin Slater available as 'possibles' for 3rd and 4th OFers. Hernandez has basically been an 'organizational depth'-type player (AAAA), so he *could* be the 4th OF. But I would think that the Giants would go with at least one (and quite possibly two) of Jarrett Parker, Mac Williamson, Austin Slater. Parker & Williamson are already on the roster and will be cheap and have shown some success at the MLB level - at least enough to be a 4th OF. I see Slater as the guy they call up during the '17 season to replace a struggling Mac or Parker (unless Slater blows their socks off in ST) since he doesn't have to be protected from the upcoming rule 5 draft this Dec. Parker has just NOT been able to hit LHP, so a platoon-mate would be very useful, but he would also be the CF backup.

The Giants might also bring back Pagan, if he is willing to sign a one-year contract (possibly with option) for less than $6M/yr.

With all the money the Giants are spending, I would love to see Parker/Williamson/Hernandez/Slater vie for the OF positions. Pence has reached the stage Cal predicted some years ago that his body is breaking down, and can no longer be counted on for 162 games. Play the kids. I'd rather see Slater come up and do what he does that continue to watch an injured Blanco hit like he has hit.

I love Oxy, but I don't think he'll be back for $6 million, and I don't want him at $10 million for two years. Alas, that's the Giants' Way (Scutero, Huffer, etc)

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Oxy, but I don't think he'll be back for $6 million, and I don't want him at $10 million for two years. Alas, that's the Giants' Way (Scutero, Huffer, etc)
I'll miss his salutes :)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jake Peavy to the 15-day DL.

Albert Suarez recalled and will start tonight.
Very interesting.

Pulling some kind of ropadope with the braves? Just trying to prevent the interwebz from a week of tweeting?

You gotta figure that PV was aware this was the plan. They wouldn't do him like this, would they?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't good. Elbow strain. Not just a "rest" DL. The plan was to send Suarez down. God, hope Law is alright.
He threw a great inning last night. This is a weird one.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This says a lot about Law. Those last 3 dots are what is worrisome.

Cq97qY_WYAAElFQ.jpg:large

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what concerns me more. This came up so sudden, over night, and they were quick to diagnose. Hopefully it's precaution, but with his history I fear the worst.
Yea. Just what this team needs. It's best (by a mile) bully arm going down for a year +(if not for good)...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't good. Elbow strain. Not just a "rest" DL. The plan was to send Suarez down. God, hope Law is alright.

Yea. Just what this team needs. It's best (by a mile) bully arm going down for a year +(if not for good)...

Has anything more than "elbow" been said? Maybe he felt some discomfort after last night and they are just taking precautions.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anything more than "elbow" been said? Maybe he felt some discomfort after last night and they are just taking precautions.

Elbow strain, loss in velocity, Law said he wasn't getting his normal extension.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elbow strain, loss in velocity, Law said he wasn't getting his normal extension.
Wow, the bullpen really needs help now.

Just before Blanco went down, I was thinking about how relatively healthy this team has been compared to this time last year. Most of the guys on the dl were doing rehab and would be ready to come back by Sept. 1st.

Now, Blanco, Peavy and Law have gone down and Pence is tentative (pensive, you could say). The minor league backups are suddenly looking much more necessary.