• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More cuts…

Villar optioned
Schmitt optioned
Bivens sent to minor league camp
Stashak sent to minor league camp

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More cuts…

Villar optioned
Schmitt optioned
Bivens sent to minor league camp
Stashak sent to minor league camp
For some reason, I was thinking that Villar didn't have any more options. Glad we keep him for one more year.

Bummed that Bivens got sent down. Had hoped he would at least be a finalist for the bullpen. Prefer him over Garrett.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For some reason, I was thinking that Villar didn't have any more options. Glad we keep him for one more year.

Bummed that Bivens got sent down. Had hoped he would at least be a finalist for the bullpen. Prefer him over Garrett.
I don't think it's an either/or with those two. Both end up in Sac, IMO.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all expected moves. Things are firming up.

Will Cobb be ready by opening day?
He just threw 3 the other day. It is looking more and more like he will be ready. How will Snell be handled, roster-wise? Will he stay back for “extended ST”, and if so, what are the rules for doing that? Who is eligible for that designation?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He just threw 3 the other day. It is looking more and more like he will be ready. How will Snell be handled, roster-wise? Will he stay back for “extended ST”, and if so, what are the rules for doing that? Who is eligible for that designation?
He seems to think he'll be ready for the doyer series. He doesn't pitch deep into games anyway, so perhaps five and dive?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amir Garrett was released. Not assigned to minor league camp. Released.

Ouch, babe.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amir Garrett was released. Not assigned to minor league camp. Released.

Ouch, babe.
Guess they really didn't like what they saw in camp. I thought for sure he would go to AAA. Maybe he had a clause in his contract that the Giants would release him if he didn't make the team by a certain date.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess they really didn't like what they saw in camp. I thought for sure he would go to AAA. Maybe he had a clause in his contract that the Giants would release him if he didn't make the team by a certain date.
Tsutsugo opted out today as well.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Avila also reassigned to minor league camp.

It looks like there are now 37 players left in camp. I am not counting Adam Warren, Tristan Beck, Robbie Ray, Ethan Small or Sean Hjelle as they all appear destined to start the season on the IL. Also, I assume that Adrian Sugastay, Andy Thomas and Grant McCray have been reassigned to minor league camp. Sugastay never got into a big league spring game. Thomas has only played in one game on March 3rd. McCray had played in 1 game (16th) since March 10th.

Remaining players in camp:
Starting pitchers (8) - Mason Black, Alex Cobb, Kyle Harrison, Jordan Hicks, Spencer Howard, Blake Snell, Logan Webb, Keaton Winn
Relief pitchers (9) - Camilo Doval, Blayne Enlow, Luke Jackson, Daulton Jefferies, Taylor Rogers, Tyler Rogers, Landen Roupp, Juan Sanchez, Ryan Walker
Catchers (5) - Patrick Bailey, Joey Bart, Tom Murphy, Jackson Reetz, Blake Sabol
Infielders (8) - Nick Ahmed, Matt Chapman, Tyler Fitzgerald, Wilmer Flores, Thairo Estrada, Marco Luciano, Pablo Sandoval, Lamonte Wade
Outfielders (7) - Michael Conforto, Jung Hoo Lee, Luis Matos, Ismael Munguia, Austin Slater, Jorge Soler, Mike Yastrzemski

It should be noted that Winn still has not appeared in a big league spring game since he was shut down. It could be possible that he starts the season on the IL as well.
Oh, and Sandoval is still getting late game appearances in camp. He is now 2 for 12 (both singles) with a run scored and 9 strikeouts.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Avila also reassigned to minor league camp.

It looks like there are now 37 players left in camp. I am not counting Adam Warren, Tristan Beck, Robbie Ray, Ethan Small or Sean Hjelle as they all appear destined to start the season on the IL. Also, I assume that Adrian Sugastay, Andy Thomas and Grant McCray have been reassigned to minor league camp. Sugastay never got into a big league spring game. Thomas has only played in one game on March 3rd. McCray had played in 1 game (16th) since March 10th.

Remaining players in camp:
Starting pitchers (8) - Mason Black, Alex Cobb, Kyle Harrison, Jordan Hicks, Spencer Howard, Blake Snell, Logan Webb, Keaton Winn
Relief pitchers (9) - Camilo Doval, Blayne Enlow, Luke Jackson, Daulton Jefferies, Taylor Rogers, Tyler Rogers, Landen Roupp, Juan Sanchez, Ryan Walker
Catchers (5) - Patrick Bailey, Joey Bart, Tom Murphy, Jackson Reetz, Blake Sabol
Infielders (8) - Nick Ahmed, Matt Chapman, Tyler Fitzgerald, Wilmer Flores, Thairo Estrada, Marco Luciano, Pablo Sandoval, Lamonte Wade
Outfielders (7) - Michael Conforto, Jung Hoo Lee, Luis Matos, Ismael Munguia, Austin Slater, Jorge Soler, Mike Yastrzemski

It should be noted that Winn still has not appeared in a big league spring game since he was shut down. It could be possible that he starts the season on the IL as well.
Oh, and Sandoval is still getting late game appearances in camp. He is now 2 for 12 (both singles) with a run scored and 9 strikeouts.
Excellent recap, LHG. My thoughts:
1. Winn will go on the IL; Cobb will not. SP will be Webb/Snell/Hicks/Harry/Cobb
2. Core 5 of Doval/Jax/Taylor/Tyler/Walker will be joined by Black and Jefferies. Howard/Roup/Sanchy will battle for the last spot
3. IF is set with LWJ/Flores/Tyro/Ahmed/Chappy....I think Fitz gets the last spot
4. OF is set with Lee/Yaz/Forto/Slater
5. C is set with Bales and Murph...I don't think we'll get much for Bart
6. DH is set with Soler.
7. If Cobb or Snell aren't ready, Black will start. If both are not ready I could see Jefferies getting a start or two.
8. They will carry Panda through the Bay Bridge Series so he can get his flowers with a final game in SF. I'm not crying -- YOU'RE crying.
9. Matos will force his way up early in the season. Lucy will not but he'll be up eventually.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Winn will go on the IL; Cobb will not. SP will be Webb/Snell/Hicks/Harry/Cobb
2. Core 5 of Doval/Jax/Taylor/Tyler/Walker will be joined by Black and Jefferies. Howard/Roup/Sanchy will battle for the last spot
3. IF is set with LWJ/Flores/Tyro/Ahmed/Chappy....I think Fitz gets the last spot
6. DH is set with Soler.
7. If Cobb or Snell aren't ready, Black will start. If both are not ready I could see Jefferies getting a start or two.
8. They will carry Panda through the Bay Bridge Series so he can get his flowers with a final game in SF. I'm not crying -- YOU'RE crying.
9. Matos will force his way up early in the season. Lucy will not but he'll be up eventually.
Price was on KNBR today, and while he likes where Cobb is at, he still made it seem like he may be a couple weeks away. I won’t be shocked to see Cobb open on the 15.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6. DH is set with Soler.

Price was on KNBR today, and while he likes where Cobb is at, he still made it seem like he may be a couple weeks away. I won’t be shocked to see Cobb open on the 15.
So, if both Winn and Cobb begin the year on the IL (man, that is 7 pitchers likely to start on either the 15 or 60 day IL), then I think Black is the 5th guy in the rotation. However, Howard may be used as an opener type (considering how they've used him in spring training). It also means, regardless who slots into that 5th spot, that the Giants will need to make room for 4 pitchers and 1 infielder on the 40 man roster. The end of spring training is going to be a bloodbath of transactions. FZ is going to be giddy.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per sfgiants.com:
March 23: Giants cut two from roster
The Giants shaved their roster down even further after reassigning right-handers Blayne Enlow and Spencer Howard to Minor League camp. Manager Bob Melvin said that the moves were not demotions, but were rather the result of a “numbers game."

Strange, I thought for sure that Howard earned a spot. I guess that means both Winn and Black make the team.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per sfgiants.com:
March 23: Giants cut two from roster
The Giants shaved their roster down even further after reassigning right-handers Blayne Enlow and Spencer Howard to Minor League camp. Manager Bob Melvin said that the moves were not demotions, but were rather the result of a “numbers game."

Strange, I thought for sure that Howard earned a spot. I guess that means both Winn and Black make the team.

Enlow and Howard sent to minor league camp.
:ninja: