• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CS's Top 10 Shooting Guards for the upcoming season

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. James Harden
2. Klay Thompson
3. DeMar Derozan
4. CJ McCollum
5. Nic Batum
6. Dwyane Wade
7. Bradley Beal
8. Avery Bradley
9. Khris Middleton
10. Kent Bazemore

This list was probably the most difficult for me, seeing as a whole bunch of players were really interchangeable based really off preference. I went with the above list for a few reasons:

1: Harden goes back to #1 for me because, in spite of his defense, he's going to have an MVP year under D'Antoni. With all the fire power the Rockets added, they're going to be an explosive offensive team. Harden's numbers are going to be right up there at the top of this list. Even with his turnstile defense, his net + factoring his offense is still going to be the best.

2-4: Klay I think will be at number 2, but an argument can be made his numbers may go down a bit. Klay is sometimes a volume shooter, but won't have as much volume this year. But he's improved every year on getting to the basket and finishing, as well as creating space for a mid-range jumper. I think you'll still see him hover at the 20 ppg mark and still play his really good defense. Derozan is what he is, and I don't think you can knock him for it. He's still going to be an allstar level player this year, despite the fact that I really don't love his game that much. McCollum will likely continue where he picked up last season and I don't see any reason for regression. He won't be an allstar because of the glut of guards in the West, but he'll have that type of production.

5-9: This is where it gets really tricky for me. Batum was a borderline all-star last year, and I think he continues that way. He just impacts the game in so many ways, that it's hard to ignore his production. His scoring could also potentially take a jump with both Jefferson and Lin gone.

I think Wade will be on a mission to prove that he's worth every penny he held out for. It's going to be really interesting though to see the fit of Chicago's backcourt. You have Rondo, Wade and Butler, all three who aren't very great outside shooters and all who like to have the ball in their hands. Wade could just as easily be 10 or even lower if the Bulls aren't able to mesh well. I have him at 6 because I saw enough from him last year to believe he's still got a good amount of gas in the tank.

Bradley Beal should be in store for a good season, but there's been lots of mention of him being permanently on a minutes restrictions for the rest of his career based on his previous injuries. So that factors in. Avery Bradley is the best defensive guard in the NBA and his offense has come a long ways. He could easily be higher on this list and I wouldn't have an argument against it.

Middleton rounds out the top 9, because even through a bad year last year, he averaged closed to 19, 4 and 5. Could be higher as well if he plays well.

10: Could have really gone in lots of different directions, but just giving a little love to Kent Bazemore. Really I didn't see a clear cut #10, so I went with a guy who's improved every year and is poised to continue that on a winning team. His defense is solid, his handle and shot have gotten better every year. He's going to be the x-factor in the Hawks success this year.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. James Harden
2. Klay Thompson
3. DeMar Derozan
4. CJ McCollum
5. Nic Batum
6. Dwyane Wade
7. Bradley Beal
8. Avery Bradley
9. Khris Middleton
10. Kent Bazemore

This list was probably the most difficult for me, seeing as a whole bunch of players were really interchangeable based really off preference. I went with the above list for a few reasons:

1: Harden goes back to #1 for me because, in spite of his defense, he's going to have an MVP year under D'Antoni. With all the fire power the Rockets added, they're going to be an explosive offensive team. Harden's numbers are going to be right up there at the top of this list. Even with his turnstile defense, his net + factoring his offense is still going to be the best.

2-4: Klay I think will be at number 2, but an argument can be made his numbers may go down a bit. Klay is sometimes a volume shooter, but won't have as much volume this year. But he's improved every year on getting to the basket and finishing, as well as creating space for a mid-range jumper. I think you'll still see him hover at the 20 ppg mark and still play his really good defense. Derozan is what he is, and I don't think you can knock him for it. He's still going to be an allstar level player this year, despite the fact that I really don't love his game that much. McCollum will likely continue where he picked up last season and I don't see any reason for regression. He won't be an allstar because of the glut of guards in the West, but he'll have that type of production.

5-9: This is where it gets really tricky for me. Batum was a borderline all-star last year, and I think he continues that way. He just impacts the game in so many ways, that it's hard to ignore his production. His scoring could also potentially take a jump with both Jefferson and Lin gone.

I think Wade will be on a mission to prove that he's worth every penny he held out for. It's going to be really interesting though to see the fit of Chicago's backcourt. You have Rondo, Wade and Butler, all three who aren't very great outside shooters and all who like to have the ball in their hands. Wade could just as easily be 10 or even lower if the Bulls aren't able to mesh well. I have him at 6 because I saw enough from him last year to believe he's still got a good amount of gas in the tank.

Bradley Beal should be in store for a good season, but there's been lots of mention of him being permanently on a minutes restrictions for the rest of his career based on his previous injuries. So that factors in. Avery Bradley is the best defensive guard in the NBA and his offense has come a long ways. He could easily be higher on this list and I wouldn't have an argument against it.

Middleton rounds out the top 9, because even through a bad year last year, he averaged closed to 19, 4 and 5. Could be higher as well if he plays well.

10: Could have really gone in lots of different directions, but just giving a little love to Kent Bazemore. Really I didn't see a clear cut #10, so I went with a guy who's improved every year and is poised to continue that on a winning team. His defense is solid, his handle and shot have gotten better every year. He's going to be the x-factor in the Hawks success this year.
This is a tough one.

I think you have to go with Harden as #1 though as you did. He was, what the MVP runner up 2 years ago? He is clearly a game changer and really a brilliant player- albeit with flaws. Harden is still a great great player.

I like Klay as #2 as well. I dont see anyone else near Klay and Harden. DeRozan is a pretty clear #3 i think too actually. After that it can be anyone's guess.

avery bradley, reddick

1. Harden
2. Klay
3. DeRozan
4. N. Batum
5. B. Beale
6. A. BRadley
7. D. Wade
8. CJ McCollum
9. B. Beale
10. JJ Redick

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a tough one.

I think you have to go with Harden as #1 though as you did. He was, what the MVP runner up 2 years ago? He is clearly a game changer and really a brilliant player- albeit with flaws. Harden is still a great great player.

I like Klay as #2 as well. I dont see anyone else near Klay and Harden. DeRozan is a pretty clear #3 i think too actually. After that it can be anyone's guess.

avery bradley, reddick

1. Harden
2. Klay
3. DeRozan
4. N. Batum
5. B. Beale
6. A. BRadley
7. D. Wade
8. CJ McCollum
9. B. Beale
10. JJ Redick

You got Beal on there twice, just FYI.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Batum plays sf, no?

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stat wise, I understand why Harden and Derozan are so high.

I like Demarr. But, Dude needs to be a good shooter and not just a good scorer.

I despise all things Harden.

I think Evan Founier's name will be mentioned by Seasons end now that he doesn't have to split time with Olidipo.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stat wise, I understand why Harden and Derozan are so high.

I like Demarr. But, Dude needs to be a good shooter and not just a good scorer.

I despise all things Harden.

I think Evan Founier's name will be mentioned by Seasons end now that he doesn't have to split time with Olidipo.

I agree with Fournier. I considered him as well, but I gave the nod to Bazemore, because I think his role will be much more important with the Hawks this year.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, I don't think these lists should be impacted by what we think these guys will produce. Who is the best player?

For me, Klay Thompson is the best 2 guard in the league because he plays lock down defense and scores efficiently without dominating the ball. His value extends far beyond the stat sheet.

The other player I think is a bit low is Middelton. I would put him in the top 5 for the same reasons that I have Klay number 1. Slotting him just behind DeRozan and McCollum makes sense to me.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, I don't think these lists should be impacted by what we think these guys will produce. Who is the best player?

For me, Klay Thompson is the best 2 guard in the league because he plays lock down defense and scores efficiently without dominating the ball. His value extends far beyond the stat sheet.

The other player I think is a bit low is Middelton. I would put him in the top 5 for the same reasons that I have Klay number 1. Slotting him just behind DeRozan and McCollum makes sense to me.

That's why all my lists have been predicated on who I feel will produce the most this season. Feel free to start another conversation about overall value, and I'd be happy to participate in those discussions as well. For me it's much more challenging factoring in the production to the team rather than overall as a player. Those lists would be a little easier to create. It's also why (spoiler alert) Kyrie won't likely be as high on the list as some might want him, because there are others who's production is move valuable to their team's success. It won't be based on overall talent.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why all my lists have been predicated on who I feel will produce the most this season. Feel free to start another conversation about overall value, and I'd be happy to participate in those discussions as well. For me it's much more challenging factoring in the production to the team rather than overall as a player. Those lists would be a little easier to create. It's also why (spoiler alert) Kyrie won't likely be as high on the list as some might want him, because there are others who's production is move valuable to their team's success. It won't be based on overall talent.

That is also why I value the two way players so highly. Harden might post Westbrook type numbers offensively this year, but his defense is a huge minus. I will take Klay over him any day because his offensive production is strong, his defense is fantastic, and the mere threat of him and his lethal shot stretches defenses and makes the game easier for teammates whenever he is on the court.

I don't think starting a new discussion is necessary because you have put together some strong lists. I just wanted to provide my take on why I value guys like Klay and Middleton so highly, while simultaneously not being high on ball dominant defensive liabilities like Harden. I have spent enough time this summer harping on guys like him.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't read the list because I couldn't stop laughing at Harden being ranked #1.

Funny joke thread though. When are you going to post the real one?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is also why I value the two way players so highly. Harden might post Westbrook type numbers offensively this year, but his defense is a huge minus. I will take Klay over him any day because his offensive production is strong, his defense is fantastic, and the mere threat of him and his lethal shot stretches defenses and makes the game easier for teammates whenever he is on the court.

I don't think starting a new discussion is necessary because you have put together some strong lists. I just wanted to provide my take on why I value guys like Klay and Middleton so highly, while simultaneously not being high on ball dominant defensive liabilities like Harden. I have spent enough time this summer harping on guys like him.
we all valued defense and whatever- but when you start trying to say Middleton and Harden are near the same value you are just taking it to a level that is just ridiculous. STARS win in the NBA. James Harden took his team to the Conference Finals 2 seasons ago. He is a great player. Obviously he is flawed- which keeps him from being on the very highest tier- but guys like him WIN! You so seriously undervalue these dominant offensive players that are crucial to a teams success.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MKG is their listed 3. Marvin plays the 4. Batum plays the 2.

Mkg played 7 games last year, 55 the year before, 62 the year before that.

Batum is a sf.

He plays that position almost exclusively.

Even in Portland, Matthews was the two guard, Batum played the 3.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MKG is their listed 3. Marvin plays the 4. Batum plays the 2.

Batum is a 6'8 sf.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Batum is a 6'8 sf.

Batum's first year in Charlotte was last year. He played the SF position, mostly out of necessity because of the injury to MKG. If MKG is healthy, he will start and be the 3.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Batum's first year in Charlotte was last year. He played the SF position, mostly out of necessity because of the injury to MKG. If MKG is healthy, he will start and be the 3.

Big if.

This is all semantics because positions seem meaningless in today's NBA.

But, if we are ranking Dude's, I would put Batum in the top 10 sf's, a position he's played every single year of his career.

Kobe played the 3 last year out of necessity.

I don't think he will be remembered as the 2nd best sf in NBA history.