• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Could be a little clue to Big 12 Expansion?

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB, Texas was very much interested in going to the PAC, Oklahoma was ready to sign, when the PAC told Texas that the league owned ALL media rights, they talked and negotiated, Texas decided that the LHN was more valuable in a league they run, than being the new kid on the block. No pot stiring at all, just stating what happened, and there are Texas fans who are just like you dc and Lambert who twist things into your rose colored glass mentality. The discussions will resume again.

Larry Scott said the Pac would have considered making the LHN a regional network in order to get the 6 Big 12 teams to join. Leaving Baylor out is what really killed this deal. The Texas State Legislature was not going to allow any Texas teams join another conference without Baylor. Not to mention, it was outside sources who really saved the Big 12:

Big 12 Conference: Influential people saved league - ESPN

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, I never meant to bash Texas here.

My thought was a need for two more schools to solidify the Big 12. Money talks, and a 10 team conference won't get as much next run. That $$ differential could cause teams to leave. That's not a lack of commitment, it's common sense.

I'm going to speak blasphemy because football not only drives the bus, it is the bus. UCONN would help our conference BB and give us a NE media outlet. Thoughts?

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, any chance we could go after Pitt and the ACC? Not even on the radar with this question, but … just a discussion.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ironic enough a Texas fan told me once that he believed that in the not so distant future ( speaking in CFB terms, maybe 10-15 years or so) that the P5 would break away from the NCAA and the new governing body would control the alignment of the schools much like the NFL controls theirs, leaving the conferences out of that equation. Don't know if I buy it but, interesting thought I guess...

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course DAD wants us all to believe he knows more about the Texas situation than someone embedded in their program.

Because… he's DAD…

No, BB, I read the news at the time, and read what was said, rather than reading like some folks do and seeing what they want to see.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ironic enough a Texas fan told me once that he believed that in the not so distant future ( speaking in CFB terms, maybe 10-15 years or so) that the P5 would break away from the NCAA and the new governing body would control the alignment of the schools much like the NFL controls theirs, leaving the conferences out of that equation. Don't know if I buy it but, interesting thought I guess...

Could be knocking at the door...

NCAA class warfare closer; BCS types push low-revenue schools away

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool, a realignment thread.

The B1G is not done. Delany wants two more schools. There is a reason the B1G opened on office on the east coast. Two more states that are not in the current footprint are ideal for more TV exposure, two more states with LARGE populations are preferred. Delany wants to expand for the new TV contract coming up. I won't list the supposed schools on the B1G wish list, but is pretty much common knowledge.

Thinking Oklahoma is committed to the Big 12 is ludicrous. Please reread the past from September 3, 2011, when Oklahoma threatened to leave the Big 12.

Thinking Texas would not leave the Big 12 is even more insane. Texas will always do what is best for Texas, which they should. Paying an exit fee of less than $250,000,000.00 won't even deter Texas, a half billion could even be the limit. If Delany could get Texas he would.

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Husker,

It is no secret the B1G wants Texas, but I think Texas wants more say in the direction of the conference than the B1G will give. I, too, think the B1G is expanding to 16. I honestly believe those two schools will be Notre Dame (ACC-ish) and Iowa State from the Big 12. The heart of the Big 12 would remain intact.

I truly think the Big 12 needs to expand to 12 for that very reason. If they lose one school, it'd be easier to find one more school to 12 than three more. I think Cincinnati is a key Geographical Cog in the Big 12 expansion wheel. That opens a byway to connect West Virginia to the rest of the conference, a logical rival, and could open up possible eastern schools of growth as real possibilities. (USF is the largest school in Florida attendance wise, UCF is actually #2. They lack tradition, but potential is there for growth, and, $$$ as alumni now begin to accumulate. Might be a good investment to get these schools if Iowa St. leaves, and might attract FSU and/or Miami. I mean two road games guaranteed for those four schools guaranteed in-state... not a bad deal)

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool, that's one of the things that concerns me with the B12 they need to get off their ass and act first, rather than sitting and waiting to react like the BE did. Guys if the B11 invites UT or OU, they are going. If the PAC offers them, they will go. The grand plan of ESPN is four 16 team super conferences, there is a reason that they went with a four team "playoff". I just do not get how the same people who complained about the ineptitude of the BE leadership are now saying what great leaders the B12 has on board.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Husker,

It is no secret the B1G wants Texas, but I think Texas wants more say in the direction of the conference than the B1G will give. I, too, think the B1G is expanding to 16. I honestly believe those two schools will be Notre Dame (ACC-ish) and Iowa State from the Big 12. The heart of the Big 12 would remain intact.

I truly think the Big 12 needs to expand to 12 for that very reason. If they lose one school, it'd be easier to find one more school to 12 than three more. I think Cincinnati is a key Geographical Cog in the Big 12 expansion wheel. That opens a byway to connect West Virginia to the rest of the conference, a logical rival, and could open up possible eastern schools of growth as real possibilities. (USF is the largest school in Florida attendance wise, UCF is actually #2. They lack tradition, but potential is there for growth, and, $$$ as alumni now begin to accumulate. Might be a good investment to get these schools if Iowa St. leaves, and might attract FSU and/or Miami. I mean two road games guaranteed for those four schools guaranteed in-state... not a bad deal)

The B1G already tried to get Texas and ND to join and both schools said no. ND has their own network with NBC and Texas has their own network with ESPN. Neither school is going to give that up, so that ends any speculation on either school joining the B1G. Plus, with the Sooner Network in the making, that ends any speculation about OU leaving the Big 12. ND would actually be a better fit in the Big 12 since the conference allows members to have their own network. Texas doesn't want more say in a conference; Texas wanted a more lucrative contract for their 3rd tier rights, which they got with ESPN. I would like to see the Big 12 expand eventually, but it's not necessary at all right now. Each school receives $20M each in 1st and 2nd tier revenue; that's more TV revenue than any Big 12 conference member has ever received. Why mess with that?

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Expanding the B12 would just be a shot to everyone's wallet. I could see adding ACC teams like Clemson and Miami, or luring Arkansas back into the conference, but when you are talking Cincinatti, USF and UCF, those are teams that would love to jump and would take that opportunity anytime it is offered.

Other than having a CCG, there is no reason to expand the B12 right now. If someone decides to leave, there will be a line of have nots wanting to join. I see the next gem on the horizon as being UConn. Thier football team needs to improve, but they can add value in basketball, both men's and women's. I could see the B11 going after them for their next expansion.

Add the Grant of Rights into the equation and no team can afford to leave. Really, why would any B12 team want to leave? It will take 6 teams to vote to revoke the GOR or to disband the conference and I just do not see that happening.

The only reason to expand now would be to add a CCg game. Unless that hurts us in the playoff over the next couple of years, I don't see that happening. The other possibility is that 64 teams break away from the NCAA and are geographically realigned into 4 divisions.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The B1G already tried to get Texas and ND to join and both schools said no. ND has their own network with NBC and Texas has their own network with ESPN. Neither school is going to give that up, so that ends any speculation on either school joining the B1G. Plus, with the Sooner Network in the making, that ends any speculation about OU leaving the Big 12. ND would actually be a better fit in the Big 12 since the conference allows members to have their own network. Texas doesn't want more say in a conference; Texas wanted a more lucrative contract for their 3rd tier rights, which they got with ESPN. I would like to see the Big 12 expand eventually, but it's not necessary at all right now. Each school receives $20M each in 1st and 2nd tier revenue; that's more TV revenue than any Big 12 conference member has ever received. Why mess with that?

I would agree that line of thinking if the Longhorn network was doing better. I honestly don't know about today but in the not so distant past it was flopping pretty hard. Has it rebounded?

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Husker,

Notre Dame is still a wish but Notre Dame pretty much told the B1G to fuck off when they gave Michigan the Up Yours letter right before their game in 2013. The B1G is moving on. Notre Dame will be told, last chance, and Notre Dame will say "Kiss our Blarney Stones" to Jim Delany.

Iowa State has zero chance. Not even on the slim chance radar list. Does not help footprint because it is in the footprint.

There are only three schools west of the Mississippi the B1G is/was seriously looking at; Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. Of those three, Oklahoma was the bottom one. All other serious contenders or wants are east of the Mississippi.

I am pretty sure Texas is still the most sought after school in the country. Every conference is saving one spot for them for as long as they can, even the SEC.

In 2014, Delany has the two schools he wants to invite and will invite them again. Target schools are waiting to see how Rutgers and Maryland are incorporated into the B1G after June 30. Plus the Maryland/ACC lawsuit.

If he gets two solid accepts, he will then make a pitch to Notre Dame and Texas as this is their last chance. They will both say no. The B1G invites the two schools they had on the hook. If Delany does not get the schools this summer, he will try again in 2015 summer. Just in time for TV contract negotiations.

I personally think the Miami Hurricanes to the Big 12 is still in the works. As are UCF and USF as fallbacks. The Big 12 would love a footprint in Florida. So would the B1G, but I don't think it will happen.

I know BYU has tried numerous times to the Big 12, but is rebuffed each time. Neither side in those negotiations will give in to the other side's demands so far. No one has blinked.

Cincinnati is a maybe. After that, the only choices are directional Louisiana schools, Houston, or Arkansas State. I just cannot see the Big 12 Schools wanting a FIFTH Texas school though, but it would be funny.

Texas to the B1G would be funnier because I would shit I-BEAMS(bigger than bricks) as would 99.99% of Nebraska(that was for Texasexes)

I also think that when the B1G goes to 16, depending on the two schools, the PAC 12 and the ACC will make overtures to four schools from the Big 12. Remember, there is probably a reason why the ACC is at 15 schools(if you include Notre Dame), the reason just has not been released yet. Another school might leave(besides Maryland) and that would leave the ACC with 1 spot open to get to sixteen. Obviously, Texas and Oklahoma are two of the four Big 12 schools that would have negotiations. WVU to ACC would come back STRONG.

Last edited by a moderator:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame is still a wish but Notre Dame pretty much told the B1G to fuck off when they gave Michigan the Up Yours letter right before their game in 2013. The B1G is moving on. Notre Dame will be told, last chance, and Notre Dame will say "Kiss our Blarney Stones" to Jim Delany.

Iowa State has zero chance. Not even on the slim chance radar list. Does not help footprint because it is in the footprint.

There are only three schools west of the Mississippi the B1G is/was seriously looking at; Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. Of those three, Oklahoma was the bottom one. All other serious contenders or wants are east of the Mississippi.

I am pretty sure Texas is still the most sought after school in the country. Every conference is saving one spot for them for as long as they can, even the SEC.

In 2014, Delany has the two schools he wants to invite and will invite them again. Target schools are waiting to see how Rutgers and Maryland are incorporated into the B1G after June 30. Plus the Maryland/ACC lawsuit.

If he gets two solid accepts, he will then make a pitch to Notre Dame and Texas as this is their last chance. They will both say no. The B1G invites the two schools they had on the hook. If Delany does not get the schools this summer, he will try again in 2015 summer. Just in time for TV contract negotiations.

I personally think the Miami Hurricanes to the Big 12 is still in the works. As are UCF and USF as fallbacks. The Big 12 would love a footprint in Florida. So would the B1G, but I don't think it will happen.

I know BYU has tried numerous times to the Big 12, but is rebuffed each time. Neither side in those negotiations will give in to the other side's demands so far. No one has blinked.

Cincinnati is a maybe. After that, the only choices are directional Louisiana schools, Houston, or Arkansas State. I just cannot see the Big 12 Schools wanting a FIFTH Texas school though, but it would be funny.

Texas to the B1G would be funnier because I would shit I-BEAMS(bigger than bricks) as would 99.99% of Nebraska(that was for Texasexes)

I also think that when the B1G goes to 16, depending on the two schools, the PAC 12 and the ACC will make overtures to four schools from the Big 12. Remember, there is probably a reason why the ACC is at 15 schools(if you include Notre Dame), the reason just has not been released yet. Another school might leave(besides Maryland) and that would leave the ACC with 1 spot open to get to sixteen. Obviously, Texas and Oklahoma are two of the four Big 12 schools that would have negotiations. WVU to ACC would come back STRONG.

:agree: Good post, mostly right on. I really do think that when the others decide to go to 16, the cream of the B12 will go to the other four, and leave a few in the dust. I cant see Miami going from the comfort of the ACC to play in a league half way or better across the country though.