• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Corky

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see that Corky Miller has been added to the Dayton Dragon's coaching staff. His duties will also include being a minor league roving catcher instructor.

No big surprise in this announcement. Everyone that follows Reds baseball pretty much knew he'd coach in some capacity after his playing days were through. Good luck Corky

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cork trades a gaudy life in Louisville for one somewhere in Preble County.
These are the guys who actually make the minor leagues function.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Corky was 1 for 1 in stolen base attempts for his career. It came in his rookie season, he stole home in what would turn out to be the deciding run in a 2-1 Reds victory.

The stolen base is what I remember most about his playing career...... But the "stache" will live in infamy.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not many guys steal home but many are stash'd. Having both is a rare bi-fecta.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Corky's wife should be the legend...to put up with that minor league life for that long ? There's a story a whole lot different than the one Corky can (or can't ) tell. The toughest part about that is, he got a few MLB callups...so they both knew the difference. Hard to make a family work like that, on that income, that close to the MLB lottery ticket...yet that far away.

JohnU- You know Preble County ? Geez dude, there are more cows than women there...but trading Louisville for Dayton is several steps down, literally and figuratively. I'm hoping Corky winds up in a MLB coaching staff one day...if that's what he wants, but in reality, a head coaching gig at a decent paying high school isn't a bad settled down job. His wifey might win that one in the end.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preble County cows are the hottest bovines in all of Ohio.
Actually I may end up in Butler County sometime this year. Maybe not. Could stay on the Indiana side, just west of Oxford. No love for Oxford really. Just want to move back home and Franklin County, Ind., doesn't hold the appeal it did before they flooded us out in 1970.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John,
I'm assuming you grew up in Fairfield, Ind before they parked a lake over it. They could have at least named it Fairfield Lake.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah ... I was a Fairfielder. Actually have a website that is dedicated to its history. You are free to visit ... wwwfairfieldindiana.com (and you will get to know me a little.)

We often muse that it should be Fairfield Lake.

I am researching some more history since the town would be 200 years old this year. Slow going since I don't live in the area and need to visit the courthouse. Lots of the history dates back to Cincinnati as well.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did visit the website and enjoyed browsing through a few of the pages.

I vaguely remember the building of the dam. As with most news worthy stories it's more trivial knowledge for me than to those actually affected by the events themselves. I guess the same could be said for the interstate projects that occurred during the same era.

The "New Deal" laid a lot of the ground work for those sort of projects. Makes you wonder if WWII had't delayed a lot of projects, how a lot of people's lives and memories might be different.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flood Control Act of 1962 would probably have been approved earlier had it not been for such things as depressions, wars and interstate projects. The interstate system has abused more lives than any dam ever did. Our town with 250 people was scarcely a big deal in the stream of life. It means a lot to us to have recaptured its history. My website barely does it justice.